Purgatory

How good is Purgatory on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Purgatory' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'purgatory'

A fast paced rocker with lots of guitar harmonies. The drumming is also superb. Overall, one of the best songs on the album.

'purgatory'

every time I hear that song, I have to think of that dodgy electronic tribute version... Anyway, I don't think this one is _that_ great actually, it's a decent rocking song, but it sounds a bit too hasty to me. 3 stars

'purgatory'

Like the majority here, I gave it four stars. A great rocker groove, and I love the drums. And the harmonies, too.

'purgatory'

A brilliant explosive chorus. the song that suits Paul's vocals the most as his gritty edge does this song good service compared with Bruce's version of it.

'purgatory'

An awesome track with an awesome Dave Muuray solo. Although I might say that, like Murders, this song is sung too fast. A little, just a very little bit slower would be really great. Anyway, Paul's vocals erase any flaws it may have… [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
4 stars

Re: 'purgatory'

This is by far the best song on this record. I love the drumming on it from Clive Burr. Paul's voice works extremely well and it's very powerful. One of my favorite IM songs for sure.

Daily Song: Purgatory

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Purgatory

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

A lot of people have told me to go back and listen to this one, but I don't hear anything special. It's not terrible, but it's not great. 6.

Re: Daily Song: Purgatory

I gotta disagree. It's outstanding. Adrift, lost, frantic, desperate — a curiously (if barely) controlled vocal melody parting the clouds through a relentless, almost cacaphonic instrumental barrage. There’s no other song like it in the catalogue. A vastly underrated nine.

9. One of the most insane Maiden songs with some of the most insane lyrics (after reading 'em it's hard to doubt Harris never smoked some pot). The bridge "Oh another time, another place..." is one of Maiden's most emotional passages and the guitar harmonies and Dave's blistering solo are fucking mind blowing guided by Burr's insane groove. Interesting is how the verse and rhythm under the solo has the guitars dueting instead of only power chords, as happens in the end of each Paul's verses. Fantastic song!!! :edmetal:

But maybe Dokken is better. :innocent: :p

I'm not a huge fan of the song.  It has its moments, but there are better songs on Killers, and I still dislike Paul's voice.  I know I've said that for many other songs of the Paul era, but no getting over it. 6/10

9. It's a top song, symbolic of early Maiden. Like Jeff said the bridge is excellent. It's the only thing on the good side of average after Killers on the album.

For some reason, I always felt this is one of the most memorable songs from Killers. It's a great little rocker, and I particularly like the chorus. It doesn't do much damage, but it's still very enjoyable. 7/10.

I don't particularly enjoy it off the record, but when I heard Bruce sing it in the last leg of the tour (gota love bootlegs), i revisited it and realized how great this track is. Fantastic lyrics, a melody that makes you feel lost. . . One of my favourites from the record. I would give it a 9 if I hadn't just realized the voting's closed.

It'll be open again soon. I've just gotta get to my main rig.

A very energetic and fast song (one of the fastest in the catalogue).
There's a lot going on here with the guitars and bass. On top of the both menacing and precise(!) drums we hear Steve play like his life depends on it. Dave and Adrian do different things on rhythm guitar, something which really unfolded on the Powerslave album, and we can also hear it on Die With Your Boots On.

The bridge sums it all up. It is the best part of the song where everyone is laying down their works neatly. Paul is excellent, singing a perfect melody on top of it. And did you guys notice that awesome echo of Dave's solo, which still continues when the harmony kicks in? Great choice by Birch (I guess).

Before I started writing, I voted a 9 but now I wonder why I haven't given a 10.

7/10.  I've been liking this song more and more.  In due time it'll increase in my preference I'm sure.  I'll like the guitar parts and the melodic chorus the best.

During the 80s it was one of my very favorites. Now I like it less. If anything it has a great energy and some awesome bass moments. 7/10

Back