Public Enema Number One

How good is Public Enema Number One on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'Public Enema Number One'

Among the better songs on the album, and perhaps the one where the singing style Bruce adopted for this album works best. To me, this one together with No Prayer and Fates Warning constitute the best run of consecutive songs on the album.

This song just hits you in the face. With a bit more special soloing it would have been a 9 (great), but it will have to settle for 8 (very good).

Forostar said:
What an energetic and heavy song, containing some of the best couplets in the catalogue.
Janick and Dave play different and energizing rhythm guitar parts (rather rare for Maiden).

Bruce is on all cylinders, his voice cuts through flesh and bones, especially in these couplets.
People who dislike Bruce's rough vocals in this period should seriously listen to this track and try to imagine how it would sound with clean vocals. Opinions differ but when I listen to the music (rough as f**k), his voice fits perfect. He spits the words, you can really feel it!

..fast approaching, guns and riots!  ...riots!   ...riots!

A well deserved 9.

Something went wrong here LC. The topic title is Fates Warning, but this review belongs to Public Enema Number One, and other people also wrote about that track.

Yep, I merged this in to the wrong thread. I will fix it shortly, but it will take a bit of time.

For reference, I have done this before. It comes from forward thinking too much.

8/10. Nice chorus IMO and the riff after the second chorus is amazing :D

Great song. Nice chorus, nice solo. I always imagined this song as if it is a Piece of Mind song. Reminds me of Piece of Mind, really. 9/10.

This song is just outstanding. Like Foro said, this is a prime example where Bruce's raspy style just works, because the music is fast and aggressive. Be Quick Or Be Dead is one more example that comes to mind. Anyways lyrics are excellent, Dave's solo is one of his best ever, and the pre-solo part is phenomenal. Whole thing just bangs all the way. The play between two rhythm guitars is something new, and it's crucial for this song. If whole NPFTD was smart and aggressive like this song, it would be a major success. I like the whole record but the "let's get back to roots" thing failed for the most part. Well, not in this piece.

I'd give it a 9.3, because i like longer songs, and the only flaw i can find is the hollowness beneath the intro harmony. I just feel that one layer is missing there. They probably did that for build-up sake, so when the crazy rhythm guitars kick in, you notice the difference. But i still feel like something is missing.

However, i gave it a perfect score. It's maybe a millimeter to perfection, but i give an extra point just to piss off NPFTD haters.

The best song on here. The lyrics, the chorus, everything. And when I was young. This was my favorite song ever. 10/10

I liked this song a lot when I was 5-6. To me that was quite a long time ago.

One of the better songs from the album... Still, I refuse to give anything in this album a rating higher than 8. So, it's a 8.

Good song, but the only thing that's REALLY good is the chorus. Solos are good, but forgettable. 7/10.

Batman said:
The best song on here. The lyrics, the chorus, everything. And when I was young. This was my favorite song ever. 10/10

Agree entirely (although I think it's a tie with Run Silent Run Deep). When I was 20, this was the best on the album. Catchy and fun. Best Nicko pre-song intro too, imho.

Complete opposite here - only constant favourite from this record was the title track. 10 years ago, i liked Tailgunner and Mother Russia very much. Today, my favourites are Public Enema and Fates Warning. Because i couldn't really realize what they were talking about when i was 17. I disliked BYDTTS then, as i do now. Tailgunner has fallen down because it's too of a generic opener, nowadays i need more ingredients than just pure energy to make a Maiden song a favourite. Mother Russia, although having some great poetry in there, just isn't developed enough and rehashes riffs from the previous album.

Back