Prodigal Son

How good is Prodigal Son on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Prodigal Son' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'prodigal Son'

Good song, IMO. Shows a lighter and more pleasant part of Di'annos' voice. Lyrcisare pretty weird though, but the best ones on Killers, not as simlpe or straight-forward as the others are.

'prodigal Son'

A very experimental song, with it's acoustic guitar and some very strange lyrics. Somehow it still fits onto the album, though it's completely different. Or maybe it fits _because_ it is different, who knows?

'prodigal Son'

this is another of those forgotten classics. It's quite mellow and in clear contrast to the rest of the album, but it still is pure Maiden and a very emotional track. 4 stars for this one!

'prodigal Son'

Rated 4.
Nice steel-guitar intro, that appears frequentley during the song.
The lyrics may not be what most of us would guess Iron Maiden, and it's a little
too Mainstream for my taste.
Repetive? Yes, but that's proof of a struggle for the song.
The sort of "friendship" between the 2 solos are genius.

'prodigal Son'

What a beautiful song! There's some pretty romantic poetry and I like the twinkling guitar. It has an early 70s feel to me, like Zeppelin. That perhaps enhanced by Paul's singing which reminds me of a "calm" Robert Plant. Strangely even today this song doesn't sound dated to me. Adrian's solo guitar with the little rhythm shift is apt to bring tears into my eyes [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'prodigal Son'

The last proof that Di'Anno is great singer. Gosh, I used to find this song quite boring, until one day I got hooked to it. I can't explain that, maybe that day my ears were more sensible to kind of sound, but when I heard it that day it took me by the heart and sent me to heaven and beyound ! I love the chorus which are quite emotional and the solos are nothing but pure gems. 5 stars

'prodigal Son'

After an intense session with this song I rephrase my earlier statement. Adrian's solo guitar and Dave's answer bring tears into my eyes. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'prodigal Son'

I agree that the lyrics are pretty weird.
The basis of the song is that a man is possessed by the devil by performing black magic and cursed to kill people(hence the killers theme)
However I wikipedia'd Lamia and there are a hell of a lot of listings that came up for this name.
So what or who is this Lamia that the man is pleading to to help him?
I think it is a witch (lamia is latin for witch) who has the power to remove the curse, but what are your opinions?

Re: 'prodigal Son'

metal1225 said:
Rated 4.
Nice steel-guitar intro, that appears frequentley during the song.
The lyrics may not be what most of us would guess Iron Maiden, and it's a little
too Mainstream for my taste.
Repetive? Yes, but that's proof of a struggle for the song.
The sort of "friendship" between the 2 solos are genius.

Well its now been 3 years ago since i wrote that post and my english has now improved slightly and i think i can give a more insightful comment on this song.
Musically it's not really different from Iron Maiden as we know them, but it should be taken in consideration that it was one of their earliest song., but with the acoustic guitars the orchestration is somewhat different.

Not sure why i'd call this too mainstream,
perhaps it was concerning the word simplicity, but now i feel as if though it adds to the emotional power of the lyrics.
I still get goosebumps from the solos that are brilliantly connected.
The chorus repeats near the end, it really gives you the feeling, almost visual, of some particular struggle, as i mentioned in my last post.

I think this song holds a special place for me, musically, because it was a song i used to listen to when i had my first real crush.
Puppy love, y'know :p

Daily Song: Prodigal Son

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Prodigal Son

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I always liked this track. It's different, but soulful. Paul sounds great, especially on the chorus, and I just like the way it's put together. Lots of people will disagree. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: Prodigal Son

10. A driving and dynamic bass line which gives the song's soul, Paul's lamenting and echo filled voice goes perfectly with the acoustic verses and the solos are some of my fave from Maiden's and Metal's. An uderrated classic song from an underrated classic album. And people still ask what's so great about Killers. Time to find it out.

A great, melancholic track with blinding guitar solos. Very melodic, but I still feel it lacks the flow a bit. 8/10.

Good song, really good song. Has some really nice melody. It actually got some flack when Killers was originally released citing this and Strange World as poor attempts at making their own "Child in Time"/"Stairway to Heaven". No idea why, as it is not pretending to be either.

Solo's are the only redeeming feature for this song, imo. I'm just not interested in it at all. 4.

Always liked this song. Shades of purple and gray in what otherwise is a relentlessly black and bloody red album.
Not a grabber, but it leaves a nice aftertaste. Seven.

The solos are beautiful. Adrian puts a lot of care and feeling in his solo, and Dave takes over with his crystal clear sound. These solos sound so different from the others on Killers, that I wonder if they were recorded on a separate session, together with Adrian's melody lead on Genghis Khan. The rest of the song takes a bit more of my patience, and therefore I don't want to go higher than an 8.

Back