Problem on disc 2 (CD)

@Yax @Zare heard it too?
Have barely listened to CD 2 in a week (and that's nothing against it - haven't had the time and I want to listen to the album from start to finish and have had to stop half way through several times over), but I definitely heard distortion on Dave's lead on the Parchment the last time I played it. That's not great. Sometimes some layered sounds can sound off and sound like distortion when it isn't, but I don't think that's the case here. Something's off.

Edit: Ah yeah, on the Hoffman forum already. They move fast.

I can hear it on both versions (Spotify and the CD).
Likewise.
Don't think it's related to which disc, but to what songs. I believe The Time Machine, Death of the Celts and The Parchment all have it during the solo sections.

I dont hear it. Maybe its like with this pictures where image of a cat turns out to be a young woman etc. Today I played whole album on full volume but there was nothing wrong, some places were too busy and that's all

Although it may differ per gear, the latter could be true, we can also call it "not very good ears" instead. An avantage, in this case.

Full volume on headphones causes bad hearing.

I noticed crackling on the Vinyl version (side 4 DOTC) and put it down to possible dust on the record. I gave it a clean afterwards but haven't played that side again. After reading this of course it could well be clipping at the mixing stage. I doubt the vinyl would have been mastered so loud as on the CD. In truth I'd need to play both of my versions again with headphones to compare.

I noticed crackling on the Vinyl version (side 4 DOTC) and put it down to possible dust on the record. I gave it a clean afterwards but haven't played that side again. After reading this of course it could well be clipping at the mixing stage. I doubt the vinyl would have been mastered so loud as on the CD. In truth I'd need to play both of my versions again with headphones to compare.

Red and Black Vinyl played perfectly for me. I've only listened to the first few minutes of Hell on Earth as a test of the silver vinyl, and there was crackling all over the quiet.

I don't think that is a production issue more like a bad press of that particular vinyl.

Red and Black Vinyl played perfectly for me. I've only listened to the first few minutes of Hell on Earth as a test of the silver vinyl, and there was crackling all over the quiet.

I don't think that is a production issue more like a bad press of that particular vinyl.
Coloured vinyl is noisier than standard black. Picture discs are the worst for it.

Yep I had thought as much, but I had been told that this was an issue only in the old days, but it seems on that evidence it is still an issue.

Yep I had thought as much, but I had been told that this was an issue only in the old days, but it seems on that evidence it is still an issue.
It can depend. The newer lacquers they use are usually better quality but can still cause inconsistencies. My experience is mostly anecdotal. I have the Maiden England picture disc which was noisy all hell even on the first listen. In the end I had to give it a bath just to mitigate the sound.

Alright, I gave Pankrement a try out of curiosity.
I used my Powerbeats Pro at Apple Music stream and full volume.
In order to save my time and ears, I focused on 5:02 -5:59 as per Steve Hoffman forum suggestion.

There were various flaws which I caught with difficulty and multiple listens but at 5:27-5:28 distortion is pretty bad and quite easy to notice. It doesn’t bother me sonically -as a matter of fact I even like it, but it must be an embarrassment for Maiden and the professionals who worked for this record.

I didn’t try other parts of the song or other songs nor I want to.
My taste for the song, wasn’t spoiled quite the opposite I had a fantastic time listening Pankrement again and again. But old bad thoughts came back for Harris and I don’t like that happening now.

At the end of the day the problem is almost certainly down to either clipping at the mixing stage or clipping at the mastering stage. Either way it isn't a good look. On the other hand a few seconds of clipping isn't that bad considering Metallica released a whole album's worth of it.

Well Lars made a statement when Death Magnetic's production backlashed and it was a very stubborn reaction..."I don't hear anything wrong with it". And then first reissue, 5 years ahead, got fixed.

Yeah, I hear it very well. I absolutely love Dave Murray's solo on The Parchment but it is somehow ruined by this weird distortion sound.

Back