Problem on disc 2 (CD)

It does seem like a fuck up and not a creative choice, unlike the production “problems” people typically moan about here. Especially since it seems to only affect the second disc. I wonder what happened.

It does seem like a fuck up and not a creative choice, unlike the production “problems” people typically moan about here. Especially since it seems to only affect the second disc. I wonder what happened.
My thoughts exactly. We may or may not like the approach to the overall sound on the album, but this is an objective, technical screw-up. It may seem like a detail, but to be honest it's beyond me how stuff like this can pass at any stage of professional production. I would expect people working on an Iron Maiden album (!!!) to be able to spot and fix it. There's no excuse for technical errors in this league.

My curiosity is around the timeline, do we know when the album was mastered? It’s possible they were sitting on an unmastered version until this year (bringing in more firms to work on the album earlier seems like more of a risk of a leak). If the master was a sort of rush job, it would make it easier for such errors to pass quality control. Also assuming this is a mastering issue specifically.

I would still like to know more about the vinyl version. The songs aren’t separated by disc (Time Machine shares a side with Darkest Hour) so there should be less uniformity between discs and more uniformity between sides, unless the vinyl is sourced from a digital master.

All this assuming a mastering error and not that there was clipping only on the last four songs for whatever reason.

I've so far only heard the Spotify version and fail to hear anything unusual. Can somebody tell me if there's a difference between CD and Spotify?

It’s on all versions*, I notice it primarily on headphones. I don’t think it’s super obvious but it is one of those things that you can’t unhear once you hear it.

*It’s in that video of the vinyl going around but I would like to hear the vinyl for myself.

I may be completely wrong, but after spotting the clipping I immediately thought that they left too little headroom in the mix when laying overdubs and/or forgot about limiting. Which would be a rookie mistake on the engineer's part... But again - I have no idea if that could be the reason.

@Yax @Zare heard it too?

Popped in CD2 right now, I'm going to listen it to the end because why not :)

Observations - my amp is on 10/30 log, but the thing is very loud. The entire album is overcompressed and on the edge. You can discern that in cymbal hits, there's a brief moment of not so high definition especially when Nicko uses smaller crash. The first direct crackling is in the beginning of Murray's solo on Darkest Hour but it doesn't last much.

I know there's a moment in Parchment that's completely clipped, in the right channel, rhythm guitar, after Janicks' mid song solo.

Edit : Celts around 4:50 mark, last note of the solo. Ouch.
Edit 2 : Foro I'm really not pleased that you made me listen to my CD. I now want a new one.

It is certainly in the Pankrement solos (certainly in the Dave one and later ones too) and I also thought Hell On Earth. Heard it with headphones. Maybe also the other two songs, have to check again to be more precise.

Sorry Zare, now it is indeed hard to "unhear" it.

It’s on all versions*, I notice it primarily on headphones. I don’t think it’s super obvious but it is one of those things that you can’t unhear once you hear it.

*It’s in that video of the vinyl going around but I would like to hear the vinyl for myself.
I heard a vinyl on youtube and did not notice it. Without headphones that was.

I've so far only heard the Spotify version and fail to hear anything unusual. Can somebody tell me if there's a difference between CD and Spotify?
I do not have Spotify but I will let it know if I can find it out. It is only during some (if not all) solos. E.g. check Dave his Parchment solo (that long one). With headphones I hear it best. It sounds like some crackling, LP sort of noise. Not just over the solo, but in the area around it as well. When a solo ends, that noise is gone as well.

Last edited:
I don't hear it at all on speakers (granted, the system is not very expensive or hi tech)

But I can hear it on any kind of headphones, cheap, expensive, any

I heard a vinyl on youtube and did not notice it. Without headphones that was.
Yea, the results on vinyl are varied enough (and equipment dependent enough) that I would rather hear it on my own system before making a judgment. I will report back when I have it.

I do not have Spotify but I will let it know if I can find it out. It is only during some (if not all) solos. E.g. check Dave his Parchment solo (that long one). With headphones I hear it best. It sounds like some crackling, LP sort of noise. Not just over the solo, but in the area around it as well. When a solo ends, that noise is gone as well.

I can hear it on both versions (Spotify and the CD).

I see... Well, since I haven't heard it yet, I don't think I want to listen specifically for it.

I haven´t heard it either. I´m very happy with my 15 euro cheap headphones. I suppose Generation X ears are too old to notice these audio imperfections.

Back