Primordial

Tempting for me too. It's on a Saturday, and while Budapest is closer, I've already gone there twice last year, while I haven't been to Vienna since 2016.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held the new Primordial album in his hands,
And listened to it.
I said, “Is it good, friend?”
“It is strange—strange,” he answered;
“But I like it
“Because it is strange,
“And because it is Primordial.”

(With profound apologies to Stephen Crane)

It is strange, it is different, there is some great stuff in it ("All Against All" fucking kills), I certainly want to hear it again and again, and I certainly find it more interesting than eg Redemption At The Puritan’s Hand.
It is a difficult album to get into at first listen but it is a worthy effort I believe.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held the new Primordial album in his hands,
And listened to it.
I said, “Is it good, friend?”
“It is strange—strange,” he answered;
“But I like it
“Because it is strange,
“And because it is Primordial.”

(With profound apologies to Stephen Crane)

It is strange, it is different, there is some great stuff in it ("All Against All" fucking kills), I certainly want to hear it again and again, and I certainly find it more interesting than eg Redemption At The Puritan’s Hand.
It is a difficult album to get into at first listen but it is a worthy effort I believe.
I shall try this album. I know little of these cats, to my shame but I feel the time is right to check em out

Need to listen to the album more, but I'm 100% sure that the first single is the weakest song on the album. Baffling how they chose it for the album closer.

It seems that Micheál Ó Floinn has left the band. Removed from the band's website, Wikipedia, and replaced by an unknown guitarist in live shows.

I know little of these cats
Their milk is supreme.
Need to listen to the album more, but I'm 100% sure that the first single is the weakest song on the album. Baffling how they chose it for the album closer.
I've listened to it several times now, and, while maybe it's not their best album ever, or not the best one to introduce a cat to the band, it's their most daring for sure, has a great sound, and some fantastic, and unusual, guitar solos.
"Victory" does actually work as an album closer if you hear the whole thing four times at least.
It seems that Micheál Ó Floinn has left the band. Removed from the band's website, Wikipedia, and replaced by an unknown guitarist in live shows.
Hope it was amicable, he's in the thanks after all.

The No Sleep Til The Mountain bonus disc is really cool, having this
a live version of "Mouth Of Judas", and some really rough stuff which is of extreme value to old farts / fans like myself but maybe few others, their first demo and live versions of two songs from the first album.

Also, listening to this album while simultaneously reading Stephen Crane's The Black Riders and Other Lines* might have an unexpected effect.
*Or Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen, as I found out last night.
You have been warned.

And yes, it still comes from the heart.

In summary: this is a good album. A very good album, I'd say. But it takes some time to appreciate it.

Back