Powerslave

How good is Powerslave on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StrangerInAStrangeLand

Ancient Mariner
Powerslave is the second best song on the album (first being Rime Of The Ancient Mariner). The music compliments the lyrics very well and it has one of Maiden's best instrumental sections. I love how it begins slowly with the bass line and Dave's solo, then it breaks into a great fast solo by Adrian. I definitely give it 5 stars.

Powerslave is probably the best song on this album, and IMO one of Maiden's best songs. Because the lyrics are great and the song has many variations. And not to mention the guitar solos, they are just brilliant! Yes, I agree that ROTAM is the best song on this album, but I think Powerslave is on the "same" level as ROTAM.

To me it's the best song on the album (yeah I know that ROTAM comes right behind it). The intro is very atmospheric, the lyrics are inspired and the solo is just stunning. Five stars, hands down.

In my opinion, Powerslave is the best Iron Maiden song. There are plenty of songs that are my favorites, but I have to say that Powerslave, especially the live version on Live After Death is just great. The Harris/Murray/Smith solos in the middle of the song are the highlight of this song.

Let's see:

Great theme/lyrics? Check.
Plenty of twists and turns? Check plus!
Great solos? Check!
Great live? Check!

Not many IM songs give you more bang for the buck than Powerslave.

Facing this crashing vote, I feel that I'm in for some stoning by giving this Maiden standard only four and a half. The reason is that for some reason I never became really fond of the main riff and the chorus.

What grabs me, however, is the instrumental part, everybody's favourite. I love the soft (as in "Finally the fury stops for a while") bass driven intro to what I think is the most beautiful solo by Dave ever. (The version on Life Atfer Death has that special something - the extra drumming when Dave starts. As for the main riff, that sounds better live too, due to rawer guitar sound.) The two quick solos and the superb bit in between are really grinding. This is just breathtaking musicianship.

The commentary on the Egyptian theme is interesting. I especially liked the total eclipse of the sun seen as the eye of god. As for the lyrics, I found this verse puzzling:
When the Life-Giver dies, all around is laid waste
If this is given and the Egyptians really believed in the deity of the pharaohs, I wonder how they accounted for the fact that the world goes on after the ruler dies.

Amazing song, one of my favs. The ancient Egyptian theme is really cool, and sets the mood for the album. I've always had an interest in Egyptian mythology and history, so this song is right up my alley. 5/5.

One of their best songs. Perfect riff, chorus, brilliant instrumental section(Steve RULEZ!!!). It's probably the Steve's 4th best play - ROTAM, Children of the Damned intro and Clayrvoiant intro are slightly better, I think.
Mood of the song - GREAT.
And in my opinion, it has the best ending(cadenza maybe) of all Maiden songs. I imagine a dying man - almost dead man, his last resistance and final death.

Daily Song: Powerslave

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Powerslave

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I happen to think this is the second Maiden song. The music perfectly fits the lyric ideas. You get this great instrumental section that probably destroys almost every other Maiden instrumental section there is. And then you have Bruce giving one of his best lyrical performances. 11/10.

Re: Daily Song: Powerslave

The bare bones of this song are only a seven or eight: the main riff sounds a touch clichéd and the chorus fails to stir; the cool lyrics and Egyptian feel make up for that. But the middle instrumental section is absolutely stunning, one of the best things they’ve ever recorded. Nine.

The instrumental section is Maiden at its finest as a band. Steve's bass is quite emotional at the beginning of the acoustic part and during the harmony, Nicko drums with real feel then reaches a climactic drum roll to open the final verse...but it is the three guitar solos and harmony section that raise this song from classic Maiden to immortal Maiden.

The galloping main riff and chorus that bookends the mid-section is solid. Bruce delivers in the vocal department with a nice mix of raspy vocals during the verses before launching his voice to the Egyptian gods in the chorus.

Awesome live, bizarrely a setlist rarity over the years.

Great lyrics, great vocals, awesome riff. Is there anything else needed to make a great song? Oh yeah, the instrumental section that makes everything else look bland in comparison (and yes, I think it even tops the instrumental section of SSoaSS). 15/10

Anyone that gives it less than a 10 needs to have their mind checked I think!

10 out of 10. could possibly be not only maidens greatest solo section but the greatest solo section in rock history. Great egyptian feel. Spectacular performance by everyone.

I know 99% of fans absolutely worship this song, but it just has never completely clicked with me.  I love it, but as an epic it's always eclipsed by Rime.  I can't find anything bad to say about this song, but still I don't enjoy it so much that I could give it 10.  I've only given 10 three times so far, all of which are still on another level: Phantom, Revelations, and Hallowed.  Very high 9.

I'm with the people who say it's great but not 10/10. The instrumental section is top class and the whole song is very atmospheric but there are a lot of better Maiden songs. Still, Dave's first solo means it can't get less than a 9.

C-L-A-S-S-I-C. Cool riff, cool lyrics and some of the finest guitar solos in heavy metal. 10/10, hands down.

10/10, an epic song shrunk to just 7 minutes of pure perfection. Love the Egyptian feel, love the lyrics and Bruce's delivery, love the guitar, bass and drum solos. Pure gold, Maiden at their best.

Back