Posting a new meme everyday 'til Iron Maiden releases new studio album

Casual fans admit to having “lost the game” in the first half. As in, so lost in unfamiliar songs that they were already “beaten”.

Exactly what @Jer said.

Once I talked with a Finn who said he saw Maiden live once and he won't ever see them again. Of course, it was AMOLAD European leg '06, he was 15-16 at the time and it was his first Maiden gig. He heard the new album but had no idea they'll play it all live. He said, he was having such a bad time (expecting to hear/see some classics) he thought about leaving in the middle of the gig. He stayed because FOTD started, and then it was "OK" according to him. However, he said it left a bitter taste in his mouth and he'll never pay a ticket to see them again and honestly, I think he's not the only one.

Day 32
I think Bruce still dances with Death. Several times weekly, probably.
4t0vh9.jpg

Once I talked with a Finn who said he saw Maiden live once and he won't ever see them again. Of course, it was AMOLAD European leg '06, he was 15-16 at the time and it was his first Maiden gig. He heard the new album but had no idea they'll play it all live. He said, he was having such a bad time (expecting to hear/see some classics) he thought about leaving in the middle of the gig. He stayed because FOTD started, and then it was "OK" according to him. However, he said it left a bitter taste in his mouth and he'll never pay a ticket to see them again and honestly, I think he's not the only one.

Maybe he wasn't the only one, but it didn't hurt Maiden. People didn't stop going to gigs after this.

I think a good part of the reason that the consensus is that AMOLAD is the best of the reunion albums has a lot to do with the fact they played the whole thing live. It hugely affected the perception of the tracks hearing Maiden play them live, especially as they usually play the songs better live anyway but it also convinced people that they were good enough to be played live. I'd expect people to have a better opinion of a lot of tracks that have not been played live if there existed live versions of them, and conversely I'd expect some tracks that have been played live would have a worse reputation if there was no live version.

I saw em' on the AMOLAD tour as well and I enjoyed it personally but I'll admit that the crowd was dead at the end of the AMOLAD set. It was pretty clear that a lot of concert-goers wasn't all that familiar with the new album and was having a pretty rough time. When Fear of the Dark started the place erupted like everyone going "Finally!!" all at once and what should have been a party only really started at the encore.

Last edited:
I saw em' on the AMOLAD tour as well and I enjoyed it personally but I'll admit that the crowd was dead at the end of the AMOLAD set. It was pretty clear that a lot of concert-goers wasn't all that familiar with the new album and was having a pretty rough time. When Fear of the Dark started the place erupted like everyone going "Finally!!" all at once

That is true, but that doesn't necessarily mean the gigs were generally considered bad. Crowds are usually dead during new songs unless they are the really hot current single; that doesn't mean they don't like them, but simply that they haven't worked out a response to the new material yet. I did see one drunk guy flipping the finger at the band at the back in Dortmund '06, but most people I spoke to, seasoned fans, new fans and first-timers said they thought it was amazing.
For the record, I'm not saying the crowds weren't dead at the end of the AMOLAD set - they were from my observation, and everybody I talked to agreed. I think it's fair to say that also has to do with the nature of the last two tracks on the album. I knew them in and out when I went to the gigs and even I couldn't do much more than stand and listen. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them, it just means they're not real crowd workers.

Crowds are usually dead during new songs unless they are the really hot current single; that doesn't mean they don't like them, but simply that they haven't worked out a response to the new material yet.

Exactly, listen to Beast over Hammersmith and check out the muted reaction to the then unreleased Hallowed. I doubt people thought it was shit, they just were unfamiliar with it.

Precisely, Beast Over Hammersmith is a perfect example.

Also, a lot of the time unreaction is not a case of someone thinking "I don't know this therefore I refuse to runamok" but can, and for me it certainly is, be a case of "I don't know this but it sounds good and I'm going to pay attention to it"

That is true, but that doesn't necessarily mean the gigs were generally considered bad. Crowds are usually dead during new songs unless they are the really hot current single; that doesn't mean they don't like them, but simply that they haven't worked out a response to the new material yet. I did see one drunk guy flipping the finger at the band at the back in Dortmund '06, but most people I spoke to, seasoned fans, new fans and first-timers said they thought it was amazing.
For the record, I'm not saying the crowds weren't dead at the end of the AMOLAD set - they were from my observation, and everybody I talked to agreed. I think it's fair to say that also has to do with the nature of the last two tracks on the album. I knew them in and out when I went to the gigs and even I couldn't do much more than stand and listen. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them, it just means they're not real crowd workers.

Oh I agree - the nature of the songs, the fact that all of the material was new to the majority of the crowd all plays a role of course. I've also always vehemently defended Maiden's decision to actually play the entire album from start to finish because it was, at the time, and still is, such an un-Maiden-ish thing to do but a bold one!

Back