Post your Iron maiden concerts

Thanks Foro...I'm caught somewhere back in 2011 it seems!
I pulled my list from an old thread to save retyping...and my laziness didn't catch the error so now look a bit like a time lord.
Will have a listen to your song!

My shows are below in my sig. I would have certainly gone to more after Bruce and Adrian returned but family and work commitments got in the way usually. If there's UK shows in 2013 I'll be there. Nothing will ever top night 1 in Edinburgh on the Somewhere In Time tour. Bladerunner/Caught Somewhere In Time intro was utterly stunning from 3rd row and they had a hot PA on that tour. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner was even better than on the Powerslave tour. Sea Of Madness and Children Of The Damned were pretty amazing too.

veddertown, what did you think of the 2011 Glasgow show? I was a little disappointed by it because the crowd was very stationary throughout and there seemed to be a lack of atmosphere (which my be down to the SECC being shit). Overall I thought the crowd was pretty boring, especially in comparison to the crowd in Aberdeen the following night.

veddertown, what did you think of the 2011 Glasgow show? I was a little disappointed by it because the crowd was very stationary throughout and there seemed to be a lack of atmosphere (which my be down to the SECC being shit). Overall I thought the crowd was pretty boring, especially in comparison to the crowd in Aberdeen the following night.

I was really disappointed with the Glasgow crowd to be honest. I know the SECC is an awful venue but personally I'm able to put that aside and focus on the band so I don't really think it's a fair excuse to not help create some kind of atmosphere. We were standing on Dave's side about 20 rows back and there were people around us texting and on Facebook. Why on earth would anyone pay to attend a gig to do that for two hours. It's beyond me? I had tickets for Aberdeen and sold them on the day of the Glasgow gig as we thought seeing exactly the same set two nights running wasn't worth the extra day travelling but I've heard it was much better. I still loved the Glasgow set despite the company. I maybe expected too much after a 21 year gap between gigs?

I don't think you expected too much at all. The three previous times I'd seen Maiden there was a mad frenzy when they came on stage but hundreds (thousands?) of people in the SECC seemed content to stand and have a pint so I got stuck ridiculously far back for most of the set. Stupid venue, I'm glad they're building a proper one.

Yeah the new arena looks like a venue that will rival almost anywhere and it's long overdue. I hate to sound as old as I am but back in the 80's when Maiden were playing the Playhouse, Hammersmith, Apollo, etc you always had a crowd to match the excitement on stage. They always put on a show now too but you don't speak about the shows in a classic sense if half the audience are going to stand keeping their hands warm in their pockets. South America can teach us a lot about appreciating musicians.

It will be great to have an arena venue in Scotland that has proper sound and isn't wider than it is long! One of the stupid things about the SECC (and AECC) is that you can get stuck so far off to the side that you can only see the band if they approach the edge of the stage. Part of the reason I got stuck far back was that I was sitting down at the side after Airbourne then couldn't make any progress forwards when I got up again. In Aberdeen Bruce actually pointed out that the stage was in the wrong place.

I went to my first (& only) Maiden gig (don't ask!, I've been listening to Maiden since '92) in Glasgow 2011, & I totally agree (with you two) in regard to the crowd. I live in Aberdeen, so news that it was better was pretty annoying. My friends all live in Glasgow. Again, maybe (like veddertown) I had pretty high expectations in regard to the atmosphere --Maiden were fine, just the crowd were totally static & really disinterested almost.

Black Wizard, as I think I said before, my pal & I pushed our way to about two or three from the front just before the encore (perfectly possible), but we were literally the only guys really chanting & merrymaking down there, which was a little surprising. That said, I'm thinking back to gigs like Sepultura & Metallica in the mid-nineties at the Barrowlands which I recall through teen-tinted eyes, so perhaps I was expecting a little too much. Makes me wish I'd gone & seen them more times, especially when I was a kid...:(

Oh yeh, the new arena/stadium will be shit hot too --it looks pretty impressive. Will Maiden ever play it though? I doubt they'll be in Scotland next year.

I think they'll probably do Download or Sonisphere, hopefully Sonisphere. The Hydro is due to open next year, I think, and I expect that the first show will be Franz Ferdinand, The Fratellis et al. Hopefully they return for a UK tour in 2014 with a new album then we can see them in a real indoor venue with proper permanent seating. The SECC seats are dreadful: no room and super uncomfortable. I was in the tiered seating for Rush last year and the big fat dude next to me was taking up so much room my leg was cramping up because of the position I had to sit in. At least that show had the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at the SECC though.

That's probably it though. I genuinely think Maiden are going to play Scotland one more time, & that will be following their next album. That album, I guess, possibly being their last (studio album). I'd say most people in Europe are probably in the same boat. So if I (or anyone else) is wanting to see tham more than a couple more times, they're going to have to travel, I suppose. I'd quite like to see them at a festival.

Do you think Steve will do a wee Scotland gig with his side-project, when he tours?

I have no idea. All I know about his side-project is that the album comes out a week on Monday and there's an interview with him in Kerrang this week, but I am too old to read that magazine. :p As of Saturday I'll be living in Birmingham for a year so if/when he does tour I might have a better chance of seeing his band.

I think they'll probably do Download or Sonisphere, hopefully Sonisphere. The Hydro is due to open next year, I think, and I expect that the first show will be Franz Ferdinand, The Fratellis et al. Hopefully they return for a UK tour in 2014 with a new album then we can see them in a real indoor venue with proper permanent seating. The SECC seats are dreadful: no room and super uncomfortable. I was in the tiered seating for Rush last year and the big fat dude next to me was taking up so much room my leg was cramping up because of the position I had to sit in. At least that show had the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at the SECC though.

It's very early for true speculation about next year I guess but I was told by a know-it-all friend who gets things correct 50/50 that Rammstein and Maiden would be at Download next year? Now I don't believe him for a minute most of the time but I guess it's a possibility. It's a much easier way of reaching a good audience than trolling through the country for two weeks. The future of Sonisphere in the UK must surely be a little uncertain? They certainly aren't likely to turn down the opportunity of Download if it arises given that they are nearer the end of their career as a band. I'd consider travelling to that although I'm getting a little old for festivals but it would be great to see them at Donington 21 years after the last time I saw them there! As for the Hydro I've read that it is due to open next October so if we're lucky Maiden will be on a Autumn/Winter tour but I wouldn't blame them if they shunned Glasgow in favour of Aberdeen again assuming they even played Scotland. I read an interview with the guy behind the building of the Hydro and he said he would love to see U2, Coldplay or Paul McCartney open it. Not that surprising I suppose.

Indeed, that's the kind of "stellar" acts this kind of build is meant to attract. Maiden have always played Glasgow (on album tours) in any case. Don't think they'll ever play two Scotland gigs again, on the same tour; & I don't see it being Aberdeen, if there was only one. The timing might turn out quite nicely for the Hydro though.

It's very early for true speculation about next year I guess but I was told by a know-it-all friend who gets things correct 50/50 that Rammstein and Maiden would be at Download next year? Now I don't believe him for a minute most of the time but I guess it's a possibility.
There are cases for Iron Maiden to play either festival next year but I couldn't tell you which one it will be.I'm not convinced about Rammstein though, because they have only done one UK festival ever and they'll keep on getting rumoured for festivals every year. It was unusual to do it once, a second time would be bizarre.

Don't think they'll ever play two Scotland gigs again, on the same tour; & I don't see it being Aberdeen, if there was only one.
Of course. I would be very surprised if Iron Maiden played in Aberdeen again. They hadn't played there since the 80s and only did so last year because the UK tour was larger than usual because the band wanted to make up for not having done much in the UK since 2006. One of the guys said somewhere that we wouldn't have to wait so long for the next album which probably suggests that they won't have to do an extended tour as a result.

Powerslave Lakeland FL (I was a 16 years old at this show)
Somewhere in Time Lakeland FL
Seventh Son Daytona Beach FL
No Prayer for the Dying Orlando FL CANCELLED
then nothing
Until Maiden finally returned to FL
Somewhere Back In Time Ft Lauderdale FL (40 yrs old and took my wife and 2 sons to all these)
Final Frontier 1st Leg Washington DC
Final Fontier Tampa FL
Maiden England Atlanta GA

Back