Poe

Obviously, but that doesn’t mean it’s another form of “bad”, it means some of it is actually good. The idea that anything that falls under the umbrella term “pop” is a slap into the face of artistry as a whole. Also, may I remind you that metal is a sub genre of rock, which is a sub genre of pop, so, by extension, metal is pop.

Obviously, but that doesn’t mean it’s another form of “bad”, it means some of it is actually good. The idea that anything that falls under the umbrella term “pop” is a slap into the face of artistry as a whole. Also, may I remind you that metal is a sub genre of rock, which is a sub genre of pop, so, by extension, metal is pop.
1) Some pop is fine. Most pop is crap.
2) That's nonsense. That's like saying "all music used to be gregorian chant therefore all music is Gregorian chant". The origins of rock and pop are entirely different and suggesting otherwise is 1) foolish and 2) a tiny bit racist.

“Pop” = “popular music”, so what is included in that umbrella varies drastically. Sometimes it’s Eminem, sometimes it’s Katy Perry, sometimes it’s even Drowning Pool. These days “pop” refers to “poppy” music, but that’s because music as a whole has evolved. Also, racism? Please.

1) Pop has a very specific definition in the common parlance and pretending otherwise is false dissemination attempting to sway to your point of view.
2) Absolutely considering rock to be part of the pop parlance is racist. Rock comes directly from black America. Pop is an extremely white form of music.

I’m still trying to think of a response, but your post “wtf”ed me so hard I think I’ll go watch a movie instead. Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I would not personally classify Drowning Pool as Pop. Sounds more like Nu-Metal to me.

So what, for instance Bjork sounds like "pop" but she is (or was) brilliant. There were some great pop artists, like Level 42 or Black or Nik Kershaw or Sade or even Giorgio Moroder (I know, I'm old ). Many of them were one or few hit wonders, but still, some great pop songs.

However, they have some artistic merit despite sounding accessible, not all good music has to contain electric guitar or aggressive drums of course. Then there is pop that only targets the widest possible audience without even attempting to create something new or valuable

To be fair, I don't hear any level of brilliance in this one, but it's not awful either. I mean awful like Justin Bieber and similar

Let me make myself perfectly clear: I think pretty much every piece of pop music is inferior to pretty much every piece of rock & roll. That being said, I listened to the offered music. I thought it was mediocre for pop with a decent singer, and I shared that opinion too.

This opinion shouldn't be abnormal or unexpected on a site called Maidenfans. Want to call me a metal elitist? I'll wear that title, and I'll wear it happily. Metal is my favourite genre of music. I love metal more than I love most things, and I'm willing to bet that my obsession with heavy metal goes deeper than most people's relationship with their favourite music. Not saying the latter is true of everyone here who likes pop, but of the general public, I think that it is a fair statement.

So, bringing all this back around - I entered a thread and listened to the music and then shared my opinion. I did so in such a way to state it as fact, and I did so intentionally because multiple people on this forum have engaged in similar behaviour, then gotten upset and cried "It's only my OPINION" when people have pointed out that they were acting like their opinion was objective reality.

It's only my opinion, and if my opinion offends you, then that says more about someone's insecurity and inability to handle contrary thoughts than it does about my firmly held belief.

Back