Poe

I’ve been listening over Haunted again. Literally the only song that’s weaker in anyway is “Lemon Meringue”, and even it isn’t bad, it just doesn’t hold a candle to literally every other song on the album... because they’re all perfect. This is easily going to be a contender for my all-time Top 10. So fucking good. It’s a true experience.

"Lemon Meringue" is one of my favorites. Could be because it reminded me of an Ariana Grande song with a similar message.

Last edited:
To me it feels like she wanted to do it because of that recording she found of her dad’s that she uses as the intro. It’s a bit paint-by-numbers imo but again, it’s hardly a bad song. It’s quite nice, but not as good as the rest.

To me it feels like she wanted to do it because of that recording she found of her dad’s that she uses as the intro.
I felt that as well. It's very bittersweet, almost like the "if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade" kind of thing.

I'm still listening to the album and trying to wrap my mind around everything. It's long, so each time I listen to the songs I pick something up I hadn't before. I'll write the review once I feel like I've processed the whole thing (spoiler alert: I'm loving it more and more and more each time).

I think "Wild" might be my favorite so far overall. I have a soft spot for epics, no matter where, or from whom they come from, so it immediately stood out to me. Other instant favorites that come to mind are "Not a Virgin", "Haunted", "Walk the Walk", and "Lemon Meringue" from Haunted, and the title track from Hello. I'm still making up my mind about the rest, though I don't think there are any songs I dislike.

Yeah with enough listens every single song shows something good. I’m still working on my list of them all. Be sure to check out some of her non-album stuff too, there are a couple of gems there. Also the music video version of “Hello” which is better than the album version (it’s heavier, yes, but Poe’s performance feels more involved).

Also I’m on spring break right now but I’m planning on buying both Haunted and House Of Leaves as soon as I come back home. Amazon looks like it’s got the best prices and I may throw something else into the cart to get a free shipping deal. Maybe TXF on vinyl...

I’ll do my best. I’ve asked the Twitter person I found the link from what they think of their copy; if it’s as good as it looks then I’m all in. Maybe they sell House Of Leaves too; I can skip Amazon altogether.

Update: Books-A-Million does indeed sell HOL. If I have money for both plus shipping will be an interesting story.

Back