Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
i made a fan edit of the album, i discuss it at length HERE
days-of-future-past.png

curious to hear your thoughts. Look at it as a different take on what the album could've been, not some definitive version (although it is for me)

btw i did the same thing back in 2006 with AMOLAD, if someone happens to have that it would be a miracle...

New review by Novinky.cz that gave to 'Senjutsu' the note of 90 on 100%. :)

While I appreciate you outlined the process, I don't see anything of added value in your edit. The synth is still there, the guitars are not more prominent or clear and there are artifacts all around.

The cut job on the songs is lazy, it's for your own pleasure only and it's not something people generally appreciate because 1) you're interfering with the songwriter's arrangement and 2) everyone has his own opinion about parts and songs and yours will not match with any substantial quantity of the fanbase.

Because Maiden actually does not produce crap in their songs, nothing deserves to be cut out.

Had you manage to pull a remix without synth and guitars pumped up so it's more 'modern sounding' I'd be willing to give it a shot even with arbitrary edits.

So you left out songs, changed the artwork too.
I´m sorry but I really can´t see the added value in this socalled fan work with all these crazy and unnecessary adaptations. I didn´t even bother to download it to listen to it. Honesty, if you really want to pay tribute to Senjutsu and Maiden in general, do something like Thomas Zwijsen and make your own version of songs.

Unfortunately still struggling with the album. Must admit that it has grown on me, but a little less than I had hoped for. Can agree that BOS has more highs and lows than SJ, but maybe those highs make the lows seem lower than they actually are...While revisiting BOS the last few days, it strikes me that it has so much more energy and inspiration. Well it's not the end of the world, the positive fact that the band is still around after all that time weighs more than the disappointment.

haha this is great, i missed forums
While I appreciate you outlined the process, I don't see anything of added value in your edit. The synth is still there, the guitars are not more prominent or clear and there are artifacts all around.
yes I did say it's still there :(
the guitars sound fine to me, except for the clipping on some solos which is a pain in the ass to fix.
are you referring to artifacts around the cuts, or did I introduce something in the overall sound?
The cut job on the songs is lazy, it's for your own pleasure only and it's not something people generally appreciate because 1) you're interfering with the songwriter's arrangement and 2) everyone has his own opinion about parts and songs and yours will not match with any substantial quantity of the fanbase.
the "lazy" qualifier is just your opinion. Point 1) is true but also redundant since "interfering" was the whole point. of course 2) is true as well and to be honest i wish more people would do their version of what i did, which is partly why i explained my process.
Because Maiden actually does not produce crap in their songs, nothing deserves to be cut out.
now you're almost trolling :) obviously if you think nothing can be improved in these arrangements then any kind of fan edit is a waste of your time...
Had you manage to pull a remix without synth and guitars pumped up so it's more 'modern sounding' I'd be willing to give it a shot even with arbitrary edits.
well that was never my intention and is technically impossible with today's means afaik anyway. But hey, thanks for listening at least.

So you left out songs, changed the artwork too.
I´m sorry but I really can´t see the added value in this socalled fan work with all these crazy and unnecessary adaptations. I didn´t even bother to download it to listen to it. Honesty, if you really want to pay tribute to Senjutsu and Maiden in general, do something like Thomas Zwijsen and make your own version of songs.
i left out one song.
i don't want to "pay tribute" to the album, I want to make it more listenable (to my ears only, it seems haha).
are you guys even familiar with the concept of a fan edit?

My time is too precious to waste it listening to a random bloke’s edit of Maiden’s latest album. Whilst I think there is a bit of self-indulgence in Senjutsu, I’d rather listened to the album as intended by the people who wrote it and recorded it.
i had some clever things to say about artistic intention but my time is too precious to write them down

Unfortunately still struggling with the album. Must admit that it has grown on me, but a little less than I had hoped for. Can agree that BOS has more highs and lows than SJ, but maybe those highs make the lows seem lower than they actually are...While revisiting BOS the last few days, it strikes me that it has so much more energy and inspiration. Well it's not the end of the world, the positive fact that the band is still around after all that time weighs more than the disappointment.

Senjutsu might be more consistent, but the higher highs of TBOS make the latter a better album for me.

[...] now you're almost trolling :) obviously if you think nothing can be improved in these arrangements then any kind of fan edit is a waste of your time...

For me, there is only one version, that of the artists, Iron Maiden. So it is indeed a waste of time in my opinion.
i don't want to "pay tribute" to the album, I want to make it more listenable (to my ears only, it seems haha).

[…]
That’s true, it’s an improvement exclusively for you. I admire Adrian’s solo in “Darkest Hour” so much and you did’t even include the song. And that’s only the most blatant example.

Reactions: Yax
After listening to this record 1 month straight on my way to work and back, I think I can judge it now. Probably a 6.5/10.

While it has amazing melodies, sometimes it's really too long ( which I usually don't mind). It's just plotting along too much.

If I'd have to rate the songs from best to worst:

Hell on Earth
Stratego
Days of future past
The Time Machine
Darkest Hour
The Parchment
Death of the Celts
The writing on the wall
Senjutsu
Lost in a lost world

Ironically, Senjutsu is the perfect road trip record. It's background music while you concentrate on traffic

Last edited:
That’s true, it’s an improvement exclusively for you. I admire Adrian’s solo in “Darkest Hour” so much and you did’t even include the song. And that’s only the most blatant example.
yeah for me H's solo is pretty much the only cool part in that song, not enough to justify keeping it tho. But hey if you wanted to, you could re-add that song, it's not like I erased it from all existence.
if even one song is improved by my "tampering", wouldn't someone want to fit it into their playlist at least for a while? I guess this was the wrong place to ask haha

yeah for me H's solo is pretty much the only cool part in that song, not enough to justify keeping it tho. But hey if you wanted to, you could re-add that song, it's not like I erased it from all existence.
if even one song is improved by my "tampering", wouldn't someone want to fit it into their playlist at least for a while? I guess this was the wrong place to ask haha
The idea of posting an edit that removes a quarter of the new Iron Maiden album on a forum full of hardcore Iron Maiden fans is quite misguided.

If this edit makes the album more enjoyable for you then that's great but slicing up the tracks based on your own attention span (and political views judging by the cuts made due to lyrical objections) isn't likely to appeal to many others. When it comes to my Iron Maiden, I prefer Steve Harris' version.

I haven't listened to your edit, prowlergrig, but I did read the blog post, and it does seem that your edit is very aggressive.
This messes with the artist's original intent and comes off as disrespectful, especially in this environment.
If I were to make a fan edit of this album, I would shave off maybe 2-3 minutes of repetitions, but I'd never cut an idea completely out.

Still, if it helps you enjoy the album, do whatever you want. It doesn't affect our enjoyment of the album at all.

And by the way, I'm not totally against the concept of fan edits. For example, I'm sure the fan edit of The Hobbit is better than the official trilogy. Those films just drag on and on.

EDIT: Ok I did listen to your Time Machine edit. The cut into and out of Days of Future Past is EXTREMELY abrupt. It doesn't work at all in my opinion.

Last edited:
The idea of posting an edit that removes a quarter of the new Iron Maiden album on a forum full of hardcore Iron Maiden fans is quite misguided.

If this edit makes the album more enjoyable for you then that's great but slicing up the tracks based on your own attention span (and political views judging by the cuts made due to lyrical objections) isn't likely to appeal to many others. When it comes to my Iron Maiden, I prefer Steve Harris' version.

I wouldn't call it 'misguided'. Of course @prowlercam post about it and promote his ideas, but he has to live with the fact that, in the one hand, a lot of people are bound to disagree with his decisions and on the other, that people (like myself) do not like the general concept of a 'fan edit'.

I wouldn't call it 'misguided'. Of course @prowlercam post about it and promote his ideas, but he has to live with the fact that, in the one hand, a lot of people are bound to disagree with his decisions and on the other, that people (like myself) do not like the general concept of a 'fan edit'.
True - perhaps rather than misguided I would say, he should be prepared for criticism and disagreement, as he states on his blog post he is not a big metal fan in 2021 nor a prolific Iron Maiden listener, whereas the opposite is true of most posters here.

the "lazy" qualifier is just your opinion. Point 1) is true but also redundant since "interfering" was the whole point. of course 2) is true as well and to be honest i wish more people would do their version of what i did, which is partly why i explained my process.

now you're almost trolling :) obviously if you think nothing can be improved in these arrangements then any kind of fan edit is a waste of your time...

well that was never my intention and is technically impossible with today's means afaik anyway. But hey, thanks for listening at least.

Lazy because there is zero effort in taking a scissor tool in a freeware audio editor and just cutting out parts you don't like.
If these were tape days I'd give you a point for persistence, but it is too easy to cut out a part of the song today, there is no better word than lazy.

Ya think?

I don't understand fans having varying opinions on the reunion era albums. Are they really that different from each other? I can understand someone hating the entire era but stuff like "TBOS is great but Senjutsu is shit" or vice versa make no sense to me, they aren't that far removed from each other.
I must admit i agree. You can prefer one to the other but they are much of a muchness to be fair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back