Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Hell on Earth” honestly seems unfinished at the moment. If I was Steve it probably would have turned into a 15 minute song or so with a lot more of it fleshed out, including a second reprise of that glorious chorus. But that’s only three listens in and I’m going to be spinning this album a lot going forward. As a closer though, I think that TTLBLAH, WTWWB, and EOTC at the very least have it beat at a satisfying exit point for their respective albums. The fade out in HoE is so cool, but it also feels like it leaves the door open towards the future. There was more finality in the previous closers IMO.

If it sounds like I’m negative in my most recent posts don’t worry, I dig the shit out of this album. A lot of my negativity is minor stuff that I feel I need to send out here before I can really dig in and harness the good stuff. There will be Diesel Reviews (tm) to come, oh boy oh boy.

My hot take: that's not a high bar. Maiden hasn't had a classic album closer since "Fear of the Dark", and before that "Rime". They haven't been a great album-closer band in decades.

Agree to disagree. Empire was a stunning closer and a timeless piece. It qualifies as a classic big time. The Legacy is pretty close and dare I say an even better song.
Wind & Love were very enjoyable and appropriate closers. And I did enjoy Journeyman too.

Interesting views. I was tempted to chop off some bits of Picasso’s Guernica as I do not think they worked as well as the rest of the painting but had second thoughts about it.
We aren't talking about me possessing the original Master tapes and modifying that.
I only have a digital copy, which I personally own, for my own personal use.

If I owned a digital copy of Picasso’s Guernica would I have to keep it in its original format as originally intended by the artist?
Does that mean I wouldn't be allowed to have a digital copy, nor view it on my computer screen? I am only allowed to see it in its original form, paint on canvas???
Would I have to look at all parts of the painting, give all parts equal time, or am I allowed to focus my eyes on the parts I like?

I think people take things too far. LOL

Hey, I lived to witness Maiden's eighth album after all it seems.
What's next, Annihilator's fourth? Star Wars fifth (or sixth, if you count Rogue One, which certainly deserves it but is a spin-off)? Maybe even Satyricon's fifth - or is that too much to ask?

Agree to disagree. Empire was a stunning closer and a timeless piece. It qualifies as a classic big time. The Legacy is pretty close and dare I say an even better song.
Wind & Love were very enjoyable and appropriate closers too. And I did enjoy Journeyman too,
Empire is too different from the rest for a fair comparison. It's in a class of its own. Just like the song "Senjutsu" is so different from a typical Maiden album opener, I refuse to even make the comparison.

As to the other closers you mention, they're good, but not classics in my opinion. Wild Wind and Legacy are the best of them, but this is a band that once closed an album with "To Tame A Land", and like a proper Maiden fan I'm still holding them to their mid-80s form. :p

As to the other closers you mention, they're good, but not classics in my opinion. Wild Wind and Legacy are the best of them, but this is a band that once closed an album with "To Tame A Land", and like a proper Maiden fan I'm still holding them to their mid-80s form. :p
I'll have to revisit To Tame A Land again. It's been a while.

Empire is too different from the rest for a fair comparison. It's in a class of its own. Just like the song "Senjutsu" is so different from a typical Maiden album opener, I refuse to even make the comparison.

Fair & wise point, a classic SMX reasoning, no more arguments from my side. Man, it's good you are back! :D

I hold Legacy in huge regard, so put it next to most closers and I'll chose Legacy. Right out of the bat I'd say like it more than To Tame a Land and I do like this beast of epic that Tame is.

Reactions: jcv
The first 3 minutes of Time Machine feels like a musical

On early listens, Time Machine is easily my least favourite song of the album.
I can’t say The Time Machine is my favourite because the standard is exceedingly high on this album. But if it’s not my favourite it’s nestled at the top somewhere. So fun and playful and filled with Maidenisms. Love the solos and the “Gengis Khan” style change up halfway through. Just listened again while reading the lyrics…I can see Bruce getting all melodramatic in his delivery with this one. Love it.

I can’t say The Time Machine is my favourite because the standard is exceedingly high on this album. But if it’s not my favourite it’s nestled at the top somewhere. So fun and playful and filled with Maidenisms. Love the solos and the “Gengis Khan” style change up halfway through. Just listened again while reading the lyrics…I can see Bruce getting all melodramatic in his delivery with this one. Love it.
The Time Machine, The Parchment and Hell On Earth are my top 3 after 2 days hearing the album. I love all the Maidenisms in TTM as well.

There is a noticeable difference of sound quality between songs, and also parts of songs. The only idea I do not like about this album is the way they cut and paste and merge all (most?) bits and pieces recorded in the studio.

The Writing on the Wall is a much better recording than others. They do not sound like the same album.

I have 0 criticism about the songs. Enough originality, sufficient amount of good-old-days reference, great dynamism.

It is much better than BoS in terms of the content. But unfortunately it is worse in terms of the sound. I just feel relaxed while playing a BoS song after Senjutsu.

Wow, just had another listen through while reading the lyrics…Hell on Earth may be their finest ever song. It’s triumphant sounding and nearly drove me to tears.

All songs have now “clicked” with me except Death of the Celts and I’m sure it will in another listen or two.

Also, over the past 24 hours my tinnitus has returned…”Iron Maiden has f**ked up my hearing for good!”

Ummmmm...I'm lost you guys. Did the album leak? Wasnt supposed to be released until the 3rd? Is it already out somewhere else? Im in the U.S.

I gotta mention...power was out last night because of the hurricane. So I listened to the album with headphones while standing outside under shelter. If there was a once in a lifetime experience, it was watching wind blow rain sideways along with leaves and other shit while listening to Hell On Earth. Top that off with some cold ones and I didn't want the night to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back