Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this album is the band’s true second Seventh Son. It’s the culmination of everything they’ve done and learned since then and this is their new progressive apex.

Just listening again with fresh ears.

DOTC would be a worthy replacement for Clansman next year, if they decide to do that. Amazing track.

Senjutsu the track is so majestic. Really, IDK why, but I hear Devin Townsend vibes during the chorus. And I fucking love it. This song is asking to be played with an orchestra if they ever do that.

Love the fast riff in DOTFP. Also listen to that drum track. It's great. That bend from H at the beginning of the solo... He has been listening to a lot of David Gilmour I guess... It also explains the video from 2019 of him playing over Comfortably Numb.

The Time Machine is a killer track. Period. Again, amazing drumming from Nicko on this one. And love the heavyness of drop-D from Ade. Actually, it reminds me of Darkside Of Aquarius on some parts. It would sit on AOB quite easily, despite none of the authors played on that album. Love, fricking love it.

Darkest Hour. Still. goosebumps. Wow. The 12 string from H is an amazing touch. LOVE it.

Parchement. Love the vibe. Just if the guitars wouldn't play under Bruce during the first verse. Or at least would be quieter... The instrumental bit in the middle is killer. And then again butchered with Jan playing loudly over Bruce. Can't just someone say "enough of that"? And then, the keyboards and even H join on the same melody. This would be on par with SSOASS if not for the lazy arrangement. The fast bit at the end is amazing. Just a shame that Bruce gets burried in guitars and synths for the whole song. Also love the outro.

Hell On Earth. Amazing song. As I said, a bit iffy lyrics, but finally on this one, Steve lets Bruce to add some emotions to his melodies. Something that Parchement lacks IMO. "IN ANGEEEEEER".... Love that. Along with DOTC the best song from Steve on this album IMO. The melody is great. Janick's melody playing isn't annoying as on The Parchement. And is mixed as it should be. Those snare fills from Nicko during verses. Fuck yeah. Also the random divebombs from H and Jan. The middle quiet bit is fantastic.

Lost In A Lost World. Should be edited. I'll do it when I have the time. Worst song of the album by some margin. Getting removed from my phone.

DOTC, Senjutsu, Time Machine, Darkest Hour and Hell On Earth are a MUST live at some point. Why not play TWOTW, DOTC and maybe Stratego next year as part of LOTB and play the others (minus LIALW, which I don't care for) during the album tour, leaving those 3 out.

I feel like this album is the band’s true second Seventh Son. It’s the culmination of everything they’ve done and learned since then and this is their new progressive apex.
Too lazy arrangement-wise imo to call it that. And SSOASS had better keyboard sounds, despite it being recorded 33 years ago during an era with dinosaur-technology digital synths.

Anyone else think the 2 min intro and extended outro on hell on earth are pointless tho and it would have been perfectly fine as a hard hitting 9 min song?
On first listen those parts were kind of interesting, but i suspect that on 20+ listens they are better done away with. Can easily be shaved off though, so no problems.

One thing that frustrates me is the outro to Lost in a lost world. Bruce's vocal melody there sounds haunting and terrific, would be so much better without the underlying guitar doing the same melody. It destroys the haunting aspect of the outro

While the Harris alone songs feature a few bits of recycling, they are among the best he has written in this century.

The solos are stellar especially Dave...... un be lie va ble.
Curious to hear your opinions Foro. About the Steve songs, totally agree, it's early but Parchment/HoE have the potential to be one of my favorites 1-2 punches to close an album. DotC is also pretty cool, it already has grown on me. LIALW has nice bits but I could live without it still.

On first listen those parts were kind of interesting, but i suspect that on 20+ listens they are better done away with. Can easily be shaved off though, so no problems.

One thing that frustrates me is the outro to Lost in a lost world. Bruce's vocal melody there sounds haunting and terrific, would be so much better without the underlying guitar doing the same melody. It destroys the haunting aspect of the outro

LIALW is a lost case for me. Where this angers me the most is Parchement. That song would've been so great with Janick playing basically the whole vocal line before the tempo change.

1) Senjutsu - Bruce solo from Lidl

2) Stratego - The slow Alchemist

3) The writing on the wall - Bon Jovi from Hell

4) Lost in a lost world - Energetic TXF

5) Days of Future Past - Chemical divorce

6) The time machine - The edge of Talisman

7) Darkest hour - Wasting Home

8) Death of the celts - Clansman on meth

9) The Parchment - Nomad with brains

10) Hell on Earth - Maiden blender

LIALW is a lost case for me. Where this angers me the most is Parchement. That song would've been so great with Janick playing basically the whole vocal line before the tempo change.
Where is Gk1 and what you done to him!!!!?

On second listen of Lost in a lost world, I'd say the outro is the highlight of the song. Such a great ending. But would have been better without the guitar.

Very heavy and dark album, still mixed feelings, grower for sure. I must say Harris is pretty annoying with recycling stuff and structuring song like legos. Don't have rating yet, but not sure it's there with BNW and AMOLAD.

The first 3 minutes of Time Machine feels like a musical

On early listens, Time Machine is easily my least favourite song of the album.

Last edited:
TBH, a setlist without Hell on Earth would disappoint me. In TFF tour The Talisman and WTWWB were the most expected songs for me to hear. But you are right there are lots of songs that are underplayed or even never played. But I prefer Senjutsu+encore to Iron Maiden, Run to the Hills, Fear of the Dark etc. + 5 senjutsu songs type of setlist.
i'd be all for a Hell On Earth truncated beginning/end to get it to a reasonable 8 minute mark or whatever. it's a great song when it's actually a song and not noodling lol. but, yeah, so many great songs they never play that could get in there so i'm personally really leery of any song over 7 minutes live

Curious to hear your opinions Foro. About the Steve songs, totally agree, it's early but Parchment/HoE have the potential to be one of my favorites 1-2 punches to close an album. DotC is also pretty cool, it already has grown on me. LIALW has nice bits but I could live without it still.
Let's say my comment was not about all 4 but about 3 out of the 4 Harris songs. I will wait a bit with writing more thoughts. Want to play it more often though. And man, some people are very, very negative. GK1 plain hates Maiden for a few decades already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back