Pink Floyd

Is it so much rehashing? I sure heard (parts of) the Animals album in it. But I love it. Great atmosphere and I dig the angry lyrics.

Nearly every moment reminded me of something from Floyd or one of his solo albums. Atmosphere is good for sure.

Animals is my all time fav album. I consider it to be greatest rock album ever recorded. I'll spin new Waters but not thrilled exactly.

Apologies, didn't realise this is the active topic.

Will re-post my original question/comment here:
I know this has probably been widely discussed online, but not being a massive Floyd fan (in terms of what I've listened to) I've not read about this before. What's the connection, if any, between Turn to Stone (by Joe Walsh) and Floyd's Animals; particularly the track Dogs? The phrase "turn to stone" is immediately reminiscent of the Gilmour sung lyric in Dogs (which was written after Walsh's). The music & guitar section is also quite similar; more so in live versions of Turn to Stone performed by Walsh. Gilmour's only writing credit on Animals is Dogs. Any evidence he [EDIT: or anyone in Floyd] was influenced by the Walsh track?

I was listening to the Crippled Black Phoenix cover of Turn to Stone & they've confusingly also included elements of Animals (they're huge Floyd fans I gather) in their cover of Walsh. It's confusing the fuck out of me.

Oh yea, I can hear lots of musical similarities in that Walsh track. Very similar phrasing in the guitar leads too. Interesting, never heard that song before. I imagine there has to be a connection there.

Gilmour's lead playing is quite different in Animals. He had a different tone and his phrasing changed. There was a lot more bite in the playing, not as laid back as on Dark Side. Dunno what the story is there.

I've snooped around a few Floyd forum threads & it's been mentioned. Dogs, I gather, was being played (in some form) way before Animals; but Walsh penned Turn to Stone no later than 1972, so I think it's safe to say Turn to Stone was written first. The Eagles also performed it when Walsh was a member. The similarities are quite striking, aren't they?

This is the Crippled Black Phoenix cover:

Yea Dogs was being played on the Wish You Were Here tour under the title You've Got To Be Crazy, but wasn't any earlier than that. Most of the lyrics and music is there, but the larger Animals concept hadn't really developed yet I guess.

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft (and others) you might be interested in this as well. Not sure if you'd seen it already.
I found something interesting. It may rightfully be so that the Floyd were influenced by Hawkwind, while making Animals, guitar-wise.

Listen to Pigs (Three Different Ones), to be precise listen to the mesmerizing guitar @ 0.36.
Now listen to D-Rider by Hawkwind (from the album Hall of the Mountain Grill. released in 1974):
And now to Paradox which has the same vibe:

Now of course, one can say that this a total coincidence. Or that it even doesn't sound that much like it. There are obviously differences in the playing (and they might use different effects/gear as well), but figurely speaking they do strike the same "chord" in my soul. When hearing this Hawkwind album for the first time, I immediately felt it reminded me of something I had heard before (I heard Animals way earlier, in the end of the nineties).

But there's more. Something else strengthens my idea and led me to posting this:
David Gilmour remixed a Hawkwind song in the spring or summer of 1976 (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerb_Crawler), and that mix landed on the album Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music in the same year. Now why would he remix a Hawkwind song? Probably because he liked the band and must have heard earlier material.

Animals was recorded between April and December 1976 so he certainly must have been busy with and thinking about Hawkwind when it was recorded. Either on purpose, either subconsciously, he brought that Hawkwind sound to the band.

Really cool I think. By the way, Hall of the Mountain Grill is a fine album. For some of you who like to investigate the band, I strongly recommend it.

It's been a long time since I've been listening to Eagles or a solo discography of any of the members.

1.) The similarities between the tracks are indeed quite striking.

2.) The listen also reminded me that Joe Walsh is still the only substantial member of Eagles to me.

As some of you might have heard, Nick Mason is doing four small gigs in London with a band called Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets (one of them is bass player Guy Pratt who played with Floyd and David Gilmour). The band focus on performing tracks from Pink Floyd's embryonic years of 1967-1972. This is the setlist from the first gig:

32928083_2192545517452743_6515299035358691328_n.jpg

33029342_2192534687453826_3304990322253103104_o.jpg

The last bit from "Set the Controls..."

Last edited:
Re-read the thread, no love for the Division Bell, I think it's a mighty fine album. Some blues came out very heavy live, What do you want from me, for instance.

Hrmpf. I know this is the Pink Floyd topic, but posting so quickly something completely else and with zero reply to what I posted does not only increase the possibility of taking attention away from what I said (people could easily think your post is the first in ages, because the browser scrolls overthere and they might not see/realize that there was another new one), it is also is a bit rude (and I just don't understand why someone would change the "sub-topic" so immediately, especially after such a long silence in this topic). I hope you're not too irritated by this Zare. No offense, and you're completely free to do so. Just wanted to say something of it. My 2 cents! ;)

edit:
I also like The Division Bell a lot. And Water-less Floyd in general (with Sorrow as one of my alltime favourites!).

Last edited:
Hrmpf. I know this is the Pink Floyd topic, but posting so quickly something completely else and with zero reply to what I posted does not only increase the possibility of taking attention away from what I said (people could easily think your post is the first in ages, because the browser scrolls overthere and they might not see/realize that there was another new one), it is also is a bit rude (and I just don't understand why someone would change the "sub-topic" so immediately, especially after such a long silence in this topic). I hope you're not too irritated by this Zare. No offense, and you're completely free to do so. Just wanted to say something of it. My 2 cents! ;)

edit:
I also like The Division Bell a lot. And Water-less Floyd in general (with Sorrow as one of my alltime favourites!).

Hey I wanted to comment how even Guy Pratt looks old nowadays (last I saw of him was Pulse I think).

Hehe. Yeah, I could only recognize him by spotting a bass guitar. Some other dude with guitar does not look very different.

The Division Bell is superb, I was so disappointed with TER as is just seems like a bunch of outakes that didn’t make the cut for TDB.

Roger Water’s latest album is very good. I can’t help wishing the material along side Gilmour’s album combined for a final PF album.

Can you imagine trying to get tickets for a Floyd tour? And the prices in today’s climate?

Wow the Nick Mason gig is coming to Amsterdam but I find the tickets pretty expensive.

Here the setlist again from the first 2018 gig, now with comments to see since when it was played for the last time by a Pink Floyd member (if it was ever played before!) No comments with Fearless and Set Controls, while I imagine that was a long time ago as well? Or perhaps Waters played (some of) these.

(Intro SFX)
Interstellar Overdrive (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1971)
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1967)
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1973)
When You're In (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1973)
Arnold Layne
The Nile Song (First time ever the song is played by a Pink Floyd member)
Green Is the Colour (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1971)
Let There Be More Light (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1969)
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1968)
Bike (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1968)
One of These Days

Encore:
A Saucerful of Secrets (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since 1972)
Point Me at the Sky (First time the song is played by a Pink Floyd member since
1969)

I think it’s lame as fuck that the three surviving members are all touring solo but won’t together, ultimately denying the public a final chance to say they “saw Pink Floyd” who last toured 24 years ago!

I’ve been waiting for a PF tour since I started giging in 1995!

Just find it selfish, and yeah I get that Rick Wight is gone, but feel it’s more the ego of Dave Gilmour who has repeatedly blocked it. I know Waters can be a bell end but I’ve seen several interviews since the 05 reunion where he said he’d do it.

Last edited:
Back