Pink Floyd

Yea, and Pink Floyd is definitely one of those bands. Is there anybody who doesn't own a Dark Side of the Moon shirt? :p
Nope not this girl...I do NOT have a DSotM shirt...not at all. :p

I rank it like this

1: Echoes
2: A Pillow of Winds
3: One Of These Days
4: San Tropez
5: Fearless
6: Seamus

I love every song except Seamus
My rank would be:

1. Echoes
2. One of These Days
3. Fearless
4. A Pillow of Winds
5. San Tropez
6. Seamus

Seamus is an interesting song and all but eh. I prefer Mademoiselle Nobs off of Pompeii over Seamus. :D

Nope not this girl...I do NOT have a DSotM shirt...not at all. :p
:O I don't know what I'd do without my DSOTM shirt. :p

I also prefer Mademoiselle Nobs over Seamus. For that matter, I also probably prefer Pompeii's Echoes and One Of These Days.

My Meddle Ranking:

1. Fearless
2. One Of These Days
3. Echoes (has great moments, but frankly is too long, and gets a little ponderous in parts)

...a BIG gap...the next three songs don't even belong in the same discussion...

4. A Pillow of Winds
5. San Tropez
6. Seamus

Here's another heresy: Other than "Comfortably Numb," I think I like "Murder" by David Gilmour (solo) better than any Pink Floyd track.

Despite these critiques, I nevertheless consider Pink Floyd one of my favorite bands.

I saw his Live in Gdansk dvd and much of it didn't interest me, so I never bothered with any of his other solo work. Although I've been told that his debut, About Face is good.

On the hand, I really like Roger Waters' first two solo albums. Radio KAOS and especially Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking. Both really good albums. Amused To Death is alright too.

I saw his Live in Gdansk dvd and much of it didn't interest me, so I never bothered with any of his other solo work. Although I've been told that his debut, About Face is good.
Correction: His debut solo album is self titled: David Gilmour. About Face is his second solo album and the third and more recentish is On An Island. I have to say out of all 3, his first one is the best one. You should definitely check it out. :) That and About Face are good. On An Island is ok but...not OVERLY fond of it.

Correction: His debut solo album is self titled: David Gilmour. About Face is his second solo album and the third and more recentish is On An Island. I have to say out of all 3, his first one is the best one. You should definitely check it out. :) That and About Face are good. On An Island is ok but...not OVERLY fond of it.
Ah wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up. :ok:

Perhaps I'll listen to it tomorrow

Live At Pompeii is fantastic - the original. The inclusion of Brain Damage and Us And Them in The Director's Cut are needless and don't fit the setlist. The CGI stuff is also stupid.

My rankings for Meddle are the same as Moon Child's.

Amsterdam 1969, a great bootleg of The Man and The Journey suites. This was supposed to be released as a live album but unfortunately that never happened:

Live At Pompeii is fantastic - the original. The inclusion of Brain Damage and Us And Them in The Director's Cut are needless and don't fit the setlist. The CGI stuff is also stupid.
I hate that CGI crap they added to it... I use to have it on VHS before and even that was ok. Still had the DSotM studio stuff included but still better than what they added to the dvd. The thing that is great about the dvd however, is that they do have the very original concert in there and I prefer that more then anything.

I like the interviews on the directors cut, but as said before, the CGI stuff is stupid.

For the ones who haven't heard this most excellent bootleg "The Man and the Journey", recorded in Amsterdam, at the Concertgebouw, 17 September 1969. It is a soundboard recording also released as "Complete Concertgebouw", "Amsterdam 69 (Swingin' Pig Version)" and "Amsterdam 1969 (Harvest)".

Plans for an official live album release of "The Man and The Journey" were considered, but abandoned due to overlap of material with Ummagumma. (source wiki)

If you want I could translate the introduction, but for now I'll just say the woman in the beginning tells about the story (the concept) of the whole show. She translates it from a note Pink Floyd gave to her. Enjoy!
1. Intro
2. Daybreak (Part 1)
3. Work
4. Tea Time
5. Afternoon
6. Doing it
7. Sleep
8. Nightmare
9. Daybreak (Part 2)
10. The Beginning
11. Beset By Creatures of the Deep
12. The Narrow Way
13. The Pink Jungle
14. The Labyrinths Of Auximenes
15. Behold The Temple Of Light
16. The End Of The Beginning

Look at a few posts above, Foro.

Whatever. It's a great bootleg, I wish they would have released it, instead of the Ummagumma live.

Ah sorry man, I missed it. My posted version is 15 minutes longer but yours (a 1980 radio broadcast) has the complete introduction, and it features a bit of radio commentary before and after that introduction. First she says: "No smoking is allowed". *protesting noises follow* :)

I found something interesting. It may rightfully be so that the Floyd were influenced by Hawkwind, while making Animals, guitar-wise.

Listen to Pigs (Three Different Ones), to be precise listen to the mesmerizing guitar @ 0.36.
Now listen to D-Rider by Hawkwind (from the album Hall of the Mountain Grill. released in 1974):
And now to Paradox which has the same vibe:

Now of course, one can say that this a total coincidence. Or that it even doesn't sound that much like it. There are obviously differences in the playing (and they might use different effects/gear as well), but figurely speaking they do strike the same "chord" in my soul. When hearing this Hawkwind album for the first time, I immediately felt it reminded me of something I had heard before (I heard Animals way earlier, in the end of the nineties).

But there's more. Something else strengthens my idea and led me to posting this:
David Gilmour remixed a Hawkwind song in the spring or summer of 1976 (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerb_Crawler), and that mix landed on the album Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music in the same year. Now why would he remix a Hawkwind song? Probably because he liked the band and must have heard earlier material.

Animals was recorded between April and December 1976 so he certainly must have been busy with and thinking about Hawkwind when it was recorded. Either on purpose, either subconsciously, he brought that Hawkwind sound to the band.

Really cool I think. By the way, Hall of the Mountain Grill is a fine album. For some of you who like to investigate the band, I strongly recommend it.

Last edited:
But there's more. Something else strengthens my idea and led me to posting this:
David Gilmour remixed a Hawkwind song in the spring or summer of 1976 (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerb_Crawler), and that mix landed on the album Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music in the same year. Now why would he remix a Hawkwind song? Probably because he liked the band and must have heard earlier material.

When I first read this post I said no fucking way. But then when checking better in the above quote, I thought it might be true.

I'm guessing the link between Hawkwind and Floyd would be Robert Calvert, a writer, poet and one on-off Hawkwind member during the 70s. Very interesting personality to say the least.

1856.JPG

Didn't Rogers play guitar on Pigs? Or was that a different song..it was on Animals for sure

Back