Pink Floyd Survivor finished: Time is #1

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs

• Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Time

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
Re: Pink Floyd Survivor FINAL BATTLE: Time vs. Shine On (Jan 21-22)

As wonderful as "Shine On..." is, "Time" is possibly my favourite rock song of all time. So my vote goes to "Shine On...".

Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V.

I voted for Shine on by mistake, but it seems it wouldn't make a difference.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V.

I also expected Comfortably Numb to win this, with Time right behind...

Zare said:
It's not strange ending at all.
Since DSOTM joined the battle, Time had least votes in vast majority, if not all rounds.

Look, I don't mind that Time wins.

However, I doubt if Time would have won so easily from Comfortably Numb (or would have won at all)!

It is not that logical that Shine On suddenly has beaten Comfortably Numb in the previous round. A lot of anonym people must have done this at the latest hour (earlier on CN had less votes), and only one(!) -a record for such an important phase in a survivor- mentioned the song in question. Actually you, Zare, were the only member on this forum who mentioned Comfortably Numb at all in this survivor. Look at how many people mentioned Shine On. So this was kind of strange to me. And it's an anti-climax as well. I find this final a bit of farce.

Shine On is king among the anonymous. Not a title to be prowd of.

The real outspoken number 1 and 2 spots were Time and Comfortably Numb, and unfortunately their meeting was not tested in the final battle and therefore the outcome remains controversial. Just my 2 cents.

Are you kidding me? Shine on is a masterpiece. When I hear the "shine on you crazy diamond" part I almost get teary-eyed.

Looks like Time won, and SMX's got his hands full of everyday stuff  :D

I usually don't post my votes in Survivors (unless I can make a funny sentence out of the song titles), but I will come out of the closet and admit to voting for Comfortably Numb and Time early and often throughout this battle (I like Time better). My preference was and will always be for "Dogs". That song owns, and I'm a little surprised by the rampant long song fetishism that abounds on this site that the top 3 did not end up Dogs, Pigs (three different ones) and Sheep. Seriously though, my 2 favorite Floyd albums are Animals and Wish You Were Here and it seems I am not alone. That Wish You Were Here won does not surprise me any more than the fact that The Trooper and Number of the Beast are always booted out early in the IM survivors.

Sincerely,
A bunch of lost souls swimming in a fish bowl

Of course you're not alone. Those are my two favourite albums as well. 1. Animals, 2. Wish You Were Here.
Well people got different tastes. Some may like only "popular" Floyd, and still vote. Like average Maiden listeners that will vote for Fear Of The Dark against some gems of the '80s.

Given broad musical taste of this forum, i'm perfectly satisfied that Animals song reached top 5.

However, I doubt if Time would have won so easily from Comfortably Numb (or would have won at all)!

Well who knows. That's the charm of the knockout system. In championship system, you'd have those two pitted against each other.
But in knockout, poll does it's own thing. How many times did you watch CL finals thinking that a knocked semi (or quarter!) finalist would've won the final, if they were there?

...but they didn't, and there's a reason for that. They lost a match.

It is not that logical that Shine On suddenly has beaten Comfortably Numb in the previous round. A lot of anonym people must have done this at the latest hour (earlier on CN had less votes), and only one(!) -a record for such an important phase in a survivor- mentioned the song in question. Actually you, Zare, were the only member on this forum who mentioned Comfortably Numb at all in this survivor. Look at how many people mentioned Shine On. So this was kind of strange to me. And it's an anti-climax as well. I find this final a bit of farce.

What's not logical in voting? A song can go for rounds without being touched, and then at once collect 80% of the round's votes!
People don't usually type what they voted. Just check out number of posts in round, and number of votes in round. You'll see the constant difference. I play only survivors i like (apart from participating now and then in the Bruce survivor, this is the only one apart from Maiden survivor i played). But even then, i sometimes don't have time or whatever to type what i've voted. A quick glance at the forums, click to vote, and i'm off in 30 seconds if i have work to do.

Look, there's no farce. Just because you taught that Comfortably Numb will reach the finals, and everything looked like it will, doesn't mean that's for granted. Round lasts for two days, several regulars that keep the track are offline, in comes somebody else and makes a complete mess. That's the charm of the whole game.

There's difference between mentioning and voting. As i've said, a lot of people don't mention what they've voted for.

Shine On is king among the anonymous. Not a title to be prowd of.

Wouldn't be so sure. I think that most people actually heard the song title.
My opinion goes for Echoes. It's a huge Floyd song, breakthrough song. In musical and arrangement terms, the whole DSoTM is based on this track. It's the first Floyd epic that ain't mumbo jumbo, that actually has head and tail. Yet a lot of people don't know Echoes. Keep in mind that SOYCD was played on Pulse, and a lot of casual listeners have that album. It's a CD to buy to someone that doesn't know Floyd, it has great tracks from every period + whole DSoTM, live in epic setting.

The real outspoken number 1 and 2 spots were Time and Comfortably Numb, and unfortunately their meeting was not tested in the final battle and therefore the outcome remains controversial.

Votes say differently. You're not the only one voting. If you ask me, i say you're all stupid because Animals is timeless masterpiece and any Wall song is bleak and insignificant to the three powerhouses of Animals.
That's my opinion. Votes said differently, last Animals song reached Top5 and then got ass-kicked.

Weird this came out of you, you always seem to seek objectivity and you've played a lot of survivor games.

Votes said differently, indeed. But still that single round was a huge surprise to me (and to others). And because I played so many survivors, I find this something to be surprised about. At least, that's how I experienced it. But I never realized that so many anonymous people played along in that phase. My mistake.

Zare said:
Weird this came out of you, you always seem to seek objectivity and you've played a lot of survivor games.

Playing this game hasn't much to with objectivity. A member hopes a song gets through, a member expects a song to get through, based on his own observations.

If you don't like me expressing my comments:

My Darker Side Shines On, from Time to Time, because I am not a Comfortably Numb person.

Pink Floyd 2010 Champion:
Time

The top ten Pink Floyd songs:
1. Time
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V
3. Comfortably Numb
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Sheep
6. Echoes
7. Dogs
8. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2
9. High Hopes
10. Hey You

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
1. See Emily Play (20)
2. Astronomy Domine (22)
3. Matilda Mother (18)
4. Lucifer Sam (13)
5. Interstellar Overdrive (10)
6. Flaming (10)
7. The Scarecrow (5)
8. The Gnome (4)
9. Chapter 24 (3)
10. Pow R. Toc H. (3)
11. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk (1)
12. Bike (0)

A Saucerful Of Secrets
1. A Saucerful Of Secrets (33)
2. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (34)
3. Let There Be More Light (31)
4. Remember A Day (27)
5. Jugband Blues (5)
6. Corporal Clegg (2)
7. See-Saw (0)

More
1. Cymbaline (15)
2. The Nile Song (17)
3. Cirrus Minor (14)
4. Green Is The Colour (7)
5. Dramatic Theme (6)
6. Crying Song (6)
7. Main Theme (5)
8. Quicksilver (5)
9. More Blues (3)
10. Ibiza Bar (2)
11. A Spanish Piece (1)
12. Party Sequence (1)
13. Up The Khyber (0)

Ummagumma
1. Sysyphus (6)
2. The Narrow Way (6)
3. Grantchester Meadows (5)
4. Careful With That Axe, Eugene (3)
5. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party (1)
6. Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict (0)

Atom Heart Mother
1. Atom Heart Mother (12)
2. Summer '68 (13)
3. Fat Old Sun (11)
4. If (2)
5. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (1)

Meddle
1. Echoes (18)
2. One Of These Days (20)
3. A Pillow Of Winds (9)
4. San Tropez (5)
5. Fearless (3)
6. Seamus (0)

Obscured By Clouds
1. Wot's... Uh The Deal? (11)
2. Obscured By Clouds (11)
3. When You're In (9)
4. Free Four (9)
5. Childhood's End (8 )
6. The Gold It's In The... (6)
7. Burning Bridges (6)
8. Mudmen (4)
9. Stay (2)
10. Absolutely Curtains (1)

The Dark Side Of The Moon
1. Time (49)
2. Brain Damage / Eclipse (35)
3. Speak To Me / Breathe (34)
4 (tie). Money (5)
4 (tie). Us And Them (5)
6. Any Colour You Like (4)
7. On The Run (4)
8. The Great Gig In The Sky (3)

Wish You Were Here
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V (45)
2. Wish You Were Here (43)
3. Welcome To The Machine (36)
4. Have A Cigar (35)
5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts VI-IX (2)

Animals
1. Sheep (42)
2. Dogs (40)
3. Pigs (Three Different One) (36)
4. Pigs On The Wing, Part 2 (0)
5. Pigs On The Wing, Part 1 (0)

The Wall, disc 1
1. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2 (13)
2. In The Flesh? (10)
3. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 3 (6)
4 (tie). Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1 (5)
4 (tie). Mother (5)
6. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (4)
7. One Of My Turns (4)
8. Goodbye Blue Sky (3)
9. Empty Spaces (2)
10. Young Lust (1)
11. The Thin Ice (1)
12. Don't Leave Me Now (0)
13. Goodbye Cruel World (0)

The Wall, disc 2
1. Comfortably Numb (17)
2. Hey You (15)
3. Run Like Hell (5)
4. In The Flesh (5)
5. Waiting For The Worms (4)
6 (tie). Is There Anybody Out There? (4)
6 (tie). Nobody's Home (4)
8. The Show Must Go One (3)
9 (tie). Vera (2)
9 (tie). The Trial (2)
11. Outside The Wall (1)
12. Stop (1)
13. Bring The Boys Back Home (0)

The Final Cut
1. Two Suns In The Sunset (4)
2. The Final Cut (4)
3 (tie). The Hero's Return (3)
3 (tie). Not Now John (3)
5 (tie). The Gunner's Dream (2)
5 (tie). Paranoid Eyes (2)
5 (tie). The Fletcher Memorial Home (2)
8. Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Dessert (1)
9. The Post War Dream (1)
10. Your Possible Pasts (1)
11 (tie). One Of The Few (0)
11 (tie). Southampton Dock (0)

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
1. Learning To Fly (6)
2. Sorrow (6)
3. Signs Of Life (3)
4. One Slip (2)
5. On The Turning Away (2)
6. Terminal Frost (2)
7. Yet Another Movie / Round And Around (1)
8. The Dogs Of War (1)
9 (tie). A New Machine, Part 1 (0)
9 (tie). A New Machine, Part 2 (0)

The Division Bell
1. High Hopes (9)
2. Coming Back To Life (5)
3 (tie). Keep Talking (3)
3 (tie). Lost For Words (3)
5. Cluster One (3)
6 (tie). What Do You Want From Me (2)
6 (tie). Poles Apart (2)
8. A Great Day For Freedom (1)
9. Wearing The Inside Out (1)
10. Marooned (0)
11. Take It Back (0)

First of all, let me address Foro's concern: Comfortably Numb averaged 1.06 votes per round, and Shine On was 0.91 ... that's why Numb lost the tie in the previous round and was #3.

Some of my favorite Floyd songs are in this top ten - Shine On is my #1, followed closely by Comfortably Numb. But my full top ten would be significantly different. It would include Pigs (Three Different Ones) and Have A Cigar; it would not include Hey You or High Hopes. Ultimately, this is a testament to the breadth of Floyd's work. There's so much to take from this band ... I suppose all of our personal lists would be wildly different.

I really enjoyed the first part of this Survivor. I had heard the early Floyd before, but I really got to know that stuff this time. Very enlightening.

Thanks for playing, everyone!

Some of my favourite songs are in the top 10 as well, I only really miss Sorrow which had to leave soon.

This was a very rewarding survivor. In the process I've bought three old Floyd albums.

Thanks for hosting SMX!  :ok:

Back