Piece Of Mind 40th anniversary next year

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
So, the 40th Piece Of Mind anniversary next year will be in the shade of the Future Past Tour I guess, but anyway: I'm sure they'll come up with some interesting merch stuff. What releases do you hope for? I think, apart from Tshirts and all the usual merch, it's time for a good official live album since there is none from 1983. But I have no idea if there's anything of a proper quality in the archieves at all.

I am not interested in more zombie-related merchandising. As far as I am concerned, they celebrated one of the best metal albums ever on the first/second legs of the LOTB tour in 2018/2019 by playing 4 absolute gems off it live.

I will never forget the whole O2 belting the Flight of Icarus lyrics or Javier Bardem air-drumming to Where Eagles Dare next to the FOH desk back in 2018.

I would love to see Where Eagles Dare in place of Revelations, Aces, High, Two Minutes to Midnight, and even (gasp!) The Trooper.

I understand that the last song in my list above is unlikely to ever bow out of an IM setlist, but a man can dream.

I’d love a triple vinyl release with the album on one vinyl and a two-disc set with their ‘83 Dortmund show. Similar to the NOTB set coming out.

Fuck I’d love a 40th anniversary re-release of every album like that.
Is there actually a bootleg with the full Dortmund show?

Is there actually a bootleg with the full Dortmund show?

Yeah loads, they only played

Sanctuary
Wrathchild
The Trooper
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
22 Acacia Avenue
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Run to the Hills

EDIT: Actually, sorry I'm wrong, Iron Maiden wasn't on the TV broadcast, which I presume was why you were asking, so I'm not sure if there is a bootleg with the full show

So, the 40th Piece Of Mind anniversary next year will be in the shade of the Future Past Tour I guess, but anyway: I'm sure they'll come up with some interesting merch stuff. What releases do you hope for? I think, apart from Tshirts and all the usual merch, it's time for a good official live album since there is none from 1983. But I have no idea if there's anything of a proper quality in the archieves at all.
They have a live album in the vaults for sure, but I would like a video release of a full POM show more. Dortmund '83 or another show.

As for merch, I want To Tame A Land Eddie artwork or artwork with Eddie and an eagle or something mystical with interesting details for Revelations.

But we know that Maiden usually are not into these things, unfortunately.
As far as I am concerned, they celebrated one of the best metal albums ever on the first/second legs of the LOTB tour in 2018/2019 by playing 4 absolute gems off it live.
True.
They could play “Still Life” on the upcoming tour as one of the extra ‘classics’. Possibly my dream rarity to see live.
It's a possible deep cut from the album, but I doubt it because they didn't play it during ME tour for some reason.

Here's an idea: how about finding some brewery to make a beer and call it Trooper? With Eddie on the label and bottle cap perhaps?
You heard it here first.

Yeah loads, they only played

Sanctuary
Wrathchild
The Trooper
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
22 Acacia Avenue
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Run to the Hills

EDIT: Actually, sorry I'm wrong, Iron Maiden wasn't on the TV broadcast, which I presume was why you were asking, so I'm not sure if there is a bootleg with the full show
"Iron Maiden" can be found on the VHS 12 Wasted Years (1987), which later appeared as a bonus on a history DVD.

Something that astonishes me with the average online Maiden fan is that so much energy is devoted into emphasising Alexander the Great as the 'forgotten' epic that the actual forgotten one is To Tame a Land. Yes, it was played live, but only on World Piece Tour, and there is no official recording of it. Which means that the Dortmund video from TED is a wholly insufficient document of this tour. Don't get me wrong, it's a great video, but this tour deserves better.

Something that astonishes me with the average online Maiden fan is that so much energy is devoted into emphasising Alexander the Great as the 'forgotten' epic that the actual forgotten one is To Tame a Land. Yes, it was played live, but only on World Piece Tour, and there is no official recording of it.
To Tame A Land is the second one. We even don't have a close-up video with decent quality (like the videos form 1986) recorded from the fans. For Still Life and Die With Your Boots On from 1983 too. Sad. They should have played ''Dune'' in 2005.
Which means that the Dortmund video from TED is a wholly insufficient document of this tour. Don't get me wrong, it's a great video, but this tour deserves better.
^ I agree.

Something that astonishes me with the average online Maiden fan is that so much energy is devoted into emphasising Alexander the Great as the 'forgotten' epic that the actual forgotten one is To Tame a Land. Yes, it was played live, but only on World Piece Tour, and there is no official recording of it. Which means that the Dortmund video from TED is a wholly insufficient document of this tour. Don't get me wrong, it's a great video, but this tour deserves better.
Ah but you’re forgetting that To Tame a Land is also the worst epic of the ‘80s.

True, but the competition is kind of tough. ;) ("Alexander The Great" matches it in terms of poor lyrics/ vocal melodies, though, but it is saved by the fact it has got a catchy chorus).
Alex is IMO a perfect Iron Maiden song, whereas TTAL feels like a wannabe Hallowed that ends anticlimactically. The bridge with Bruce’s high note is awesome, there are unique melodies in it, but it kind of underwhelms me even compared to the first six songs on the album.

Back