Phantom of the Opera

How good is Phantom of the Opera on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Probably the best song on the record in my opinion. The first epic showed a lot of the things I've come to appreciate over the years with Maiden. A lot of different riffs, different tempos, tons of melodies and an amazing middle section.
The vocal sections are the weakest part of the song, but though the lyrics aren't anything to write home about, the vocal lines and syllable count aren't as bad as they'd become later in other Harris epics.

The vocal harmonies are interesting, but stylistically so incredibly different to the way Maiden would approach vocals in the future. They're kinda endearing in their weirdness. I'm glad that we got Bruce and his completely different approach though.
Everything from the solo section up to right before the verses start again is badass. Live versions really help this song, since the production lacks the energy and aggression the song needs. An 8.

Best song from the debut. I saw Maiden only once (exactly 2 years ago - 10.02.2009.) and I enjoyed this song the most. I prefer LAD version, but nevermind. 10/10.
Yep, still the best song from the debut. I did see Maiden 5 more times, and Phantom 2 more times :D

I currently prefer the Beast Over Hammersmith version as it's the fastest one with Bruce. Maiden Japan version is also solid. More recent slowed-down versions don't do the trick for me.

Back