1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantom of the Opera

Discussion in 'Iron Maiden' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Phantom of the Opera on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

74.6%
  2. 9

20.6%
  3. 8

4.8%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

Since 1999, when the band kept steady a roster of three guitarists, this song now sounds live as it should. The studio version had more overdubs than the average Maiden song, and therefore needed a third guitarist live to sound right. They have played it live on four tours since then (Ed Huntour, Early Days, SBIT, and Maiden England). However, as far as I can find, it has not been included on an official live release since LAD. Am I correct about this? It would be great to own an official live version of this song with three guitarists.

2. Poto

Poto Ancient Mariner

For me, Maiden's second best song after Hallowed Be Thy Name. It's simply astonishing. Everything about this song is perfect. 10/10

3. Poto

Poto Ancient Mariner

I agree. The only "problem" I have with this song is that they play it so sloooooow these days. It loses its rawness and edge.

4. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

The best song off the debut. The chaotic verse isn't all that much to my liking, but still it gets a solid 8, especially for the instrumental section.

5. 10/10. Totally.
    Everything in this song works.
    The way they play the verse melody as an intro ending in that sustained B note which makes it sound like something the Phantom is playing on organ.
    Clive's drumming, one of his best.
    The guitar and vocal harmonies. (ASIDE: does anybody else wish that Dennis Stratton's infamous Queen harmonizations were only mixed out and not erased, and could surface as a bonus track somewhere?)
    Both of Dave's solos (Dennis' is a bit less momentuous although it has some nice fluid lines)
    Steve's killer attack.
    I remember thinking this was probably not the kind of song for Paul, but he sings it perfectly; so does Bruce but actually not one of them are clearly superior to the other.
    There are 4 excellent live versions, each with a different lineup:
    - Women in Uniform 12'' single version (with Paul, Dennis and Clive)
    - Rainbow video (with Paul, Adrian and Clive)
    - Beast over Hammersmith (with Bruce, Adrian and Clive)
    - LAD (with Bruce, Adrian and Nicko)

All four are excellent although maybe the Rainbow and Hammersmith versions are the most energetic, but the 1980 version is also tops, if a bit muddier. (I have a question for Adrian, though: why on Earth did you insist in playing the triplet arpeggios that introduce the solo section in unison with Dave and not taking the low harmony until the drums kick in?)

6. mirtilo

mirtilo Nomad

10/10

Simply my favorite Iron Maiden song. A truly masterpiece.

Love the guitar and bass works and all the atmosphere created here.

7. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Simply magnificent. From the genuis and thrilling opening riff, the stunningly tight bassline to the magnificent chorus. It's such a mature track for a first album. I absolutely adore the 'keep your distance' bit. It just adds so much originality to the song. Bruce took it to another level though.

8. TheProdigalSon

TheProdigalSon Trooper

10/10

Love every part of it!

9. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

First sight of an amazing songwriter that is Steve Harris. Fast, furious and raw song with interesting dinamics, great backing vocals, amazing solos and great bass work.

The first masterpiece

10/10

terrell39 likes this.
  10. The Reverend

The Reverend Invader

Classic epic with almost unimprovable instrumental section, although I still prefer "Remember Tomorrow" (sorry).
    Highlight: That instrumental section.
    Lowlight: Not everything before the instrumental is as good as the instrumental.
    9/10

11. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

It's Phantom of the Fucking Opera. What else could one give it? 10/10

terrell39 likes this.