Pepsi vs. Coca-Cola

Which carbonates soft drink is better?

• Pepsi

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Coca-Cola

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters
I haven't had either properly in ages and I can't remember noticing any difference between them. I stopped drinking fizzy in my teens, the sugar gave me acne. Only one I drink somewhat frequently nowadays is San Pellegrino, or lemonade with orange juice.

Somewhat related...

I'm normally strictly a Coke drinker. However, a few years ago Pepsi released "newer" drinks based off of the recipes from the 1800's. These were called Pepsi 1893's. They came in the original cola flavor as well as ginger. They were amazing!!! Way better than Coke. Especially the ginger one. Sadly, they were discontinued back in 2017. I actually remember my last one, I drank one on the car ride to Tool. Recently I was on amazon, and these randomly popped up in my recommended list.

https://www.amazon.com/Pepsi-Cola-1893-Variety-Pack-Ounce/dp/B01G3JBGDG

I said "why not?" and I purchased them. They arrived yesterday and it was a glorious afternoon. 9.7/10 Would recommend.

I don't know about Europe, but Mexico still uses sugar rather than fructose in Coca Cola so... MEXICAN coke for the win. It's so popular the US imports it lol. Sells it in liter glass bottles. A friend of mine who is a Coke over Pepsi guy said, "Can it really make that big of a difference?" I bought one for him and just after one sip said, "Ok, I'm convinced." lol

I got hooked on Vanilla Coke during my 5 year stint at the call center, that is delicious.

Coke is the best. When ever I go to a restaurant and they have pepsi products I kind of hesitate.

When Pepsi had those drinks from original 1893 recipes those were pretty cool.

Me too. What is interesting is that whether a restaurant has Coke or Pepsi products they all have Dr. Pepper. So that's a safe go to.

I don't know about Europe, but Mexico still uses sugar rather than fructose in Coca Cola so... MEXICAN coke for the win. It's so popular the US imports it lol. Sells it in liter glass bottles. A friend of mine who is a Coke over Pepsi guy said, "Can it really make that big of a difference?" I bought one for him and just after one sip said, "Ok, I'm convinced." lol

I got hooked on Vanilla Coke during my 5 year stint at the call center, that is delicious.

Me too. What is interesting is that whether a restaurant has Coke or Pepsi products they all have Dr. Pepper. So that's a safe go to.
Oh god, I love vanilla Coke. Not that easy to find, either.

Fructose is sugar.

Yes, one of many. But the substance which is normally known simply as sugar, is sucrose. This is a dimer of glucose and fructose (i.e. it is formed when one glucose molecule and one fructose molecule react and form one sucrose molecule - and one water molecule.).

Fructose and glucose are both called monosaccarides whereas any combination of two monosaccarides is called a disaccaride.

Starch and cellulose fibers are examples of polysaccarides, i.e. compounds consisting of many small sugar units. Ultimately, they are all broken down to monosaccarides in the digestion system, provided the digestion system has the enzymes necessary. We humans can't digest cellulose, but we can digest starch.

And that's the organic chemistry lesson for today.

Oh god, I love vanilla Coke. Not that easy to find, either.
Sorry to hear it. It’s pretty easy to come by in the U.S. I usually keep my man cave fridge populated with Coke Zero, Cherry Coke Zero, Vanilla Coke Zero, and Orange Vanilla Coke Zero. And a lot of beer.

Yes, one of many. But the substance which is normally known simply as sugar, is sucrose. This is a dimer of glucose and fructose (i.e. it is formed when one glucose molecule and one fructose molecule react and form one sucrose molecule - and one water molecule.).

Fructose and glucose are both called monosaccarides whereas any combination of two monosaccarides is called a disaccaride.

Starch and cellulose fibers are examples of polysaccarides, i.e. compounds consisting of many small sugar units. Ultimately, they are all broken down to monosaccarides in the digestion system, provided the digestion system has the enzymes necessary. We humans can't digest cellulose, but we can digest starch.

And that's the organic chemistry lesson for today.
Sweet explanation, Wingman.

Back