Whose Solo Career do you like better?

• Ozzy

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Dio

Votes: 30 88.2%

• Total voters

Jupz

Ancient Mariner
A simple enough question. Who has the better solo career, in your opinion?

I have to say Dio, hes got much more songs that I like, and the ones that I do like, I like a lot better. Although Crazy Train has my fave riff of all time  :shred:

Jupz said:
I have to say Dio, hes got much more songs that I like, and the ones that I do like, I like a lot better.

From the forum rules:
In order to encourage quality discussion, moderators may delete any post of non-substantial content.  This includes posts containing just emoticons, one or two words ("Yes!", "I agree!"), or posts that contain simply a link with no comment from the user on the subject matter.

The above includes a quote with nothing additional posted. It may be permitted on other forums, but not here. Please add to the discussion when you post.

What is it that brings these two vocalists together for an odd comparison?

Though I like Ozzy's early stuff, I prefer Dio's musical output a lot more.

Does anyone else get a wierd feeling sometimes that Osbourne isn't quite as involved in the writing of his music?

Groteskfull said:
What is it that brings these two vocalists together for an odd comparison?
They were both Black Sabbath singers. That's why they are compared so much.

When I think of Ozzy, I only think of someone who sounded cool on some records from the seventies.
For the rest I have an image of a lucky and rich loser, who only needs to remember his own lyrics and make some sounds with his mouth, because that's enough to get thousands of people getting excited.

For the rest he doesn't need to do anything. All is done for him.

Stallion Duck said:
They were both Black Sabbath singers. That's why they are compared so much.

Still I find it odd, since Sabbath had many vocalists though their life span. One might as well throw Tony Martin or Ian Gillan into the mix as well, both of whom have had careers on their own.

Forostar said:
When I think of Ozzy, I only think of someone who sounded cool on some records from the seventies.
For the rest I have an image of a lucky and rich loser, who only needs to remember his own lyrics and make some sounds with his mouth, because that's enough to get thousands of people getting excited.

For the rest he doesn't need to do anything. All is done for him.

could not have said it better

Groteskfull said:
Still I find it odd, since Sabbath had many vocalists though their life span. One might as well throw Tony Martin or Ian Gillan into the mix as well, both of whom have had careers on their own.

Martin made only 5 albums with Sabbath, is that enough? I have to admit that I am not aware of his solo albums.

Groteskfull said:
Because those first 2 eras are the most famous, among other reasons.

Actually, it was because they probably have the two most famous solo careers in metal (Bruce could also be included in here, but I didn't throw him in this poll).

Ozzy, for a couple of reasons.

First, I just like his albums better. They're more consistent; even Ozzy's bad albums I find mostly tolerable. When Dio sucked, he really sucked ... Angry Machines is an abomination.

Beyond that, Ozzy made much more of his talent. He usually had a backing band that was better than him, and on his studio albums he rose to that level. Live he was unreliable, but his studio singing is pretty good. The nasal quality of his voice can get annoying, but he still hits the notes.

After Campbell left, Dio's bands were never a match for Dio's talent. There were some valiant efforts, but it always sounded to me like he got dragged down to the level of his band.

If Dio had made as much from his obviously superior talent as Ozzy made of his, then Dio's death would have been more like Michael Jackson's was.

I agree with SMX that Dio could be horribly inconsistent.  Case in point:  the Magica and Killing the Dragon albums have been combined together into a 2-disc release, which I own.  I listen to the former quite a bit, but I almost NEVER listen to the latter.  Where I disagree with SMX, and why Dio gets my vote, is that Dio occasionally achieved a level of excellence with different lineups -- Holy Diver, Last in Line, Dream Evil and (yes) Magica.  Ozzy never truly achieved a level of excellence after Randy Rhoads died.  I'd rather have a few outstanding records, even if accompanied by an equal number of duds, than a consistent string of "pretty good but not great" recordings.  Also, while neither man ever topped his own debut, I think Holy Diver is just a little bit better than Blizzard of Ozz. 

Back