Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
I don't care about the Sorceress songs that they played and all the other songs already appeared on live albums before, in superior versions. Wish they mixed it up a bit.

But the venue and the production looks incredible. Are there any DVD's from other bands in that venue?

Drumming with a (leather) jacket on. You don't see that often.
It was extremely cold and windy that night. If they don’t cut any of the stage banter, you’ll hear Mikael complain about the cold several times. The jackets never came off.

There aren’t a lot of Metal shows at Red Rocks. When metal bands do play there, it’s often with non metal bands (I saw Mastodon with Primus this year). So Devin Townsend, Gojira, and Opeth was pretty special. It was also nice to see these bands playing in front of a large audience when I’m used to seeing them in small clubs. Maiden played there a few times, the latest being Brave New World. Hopefully they play there again before they retire, but I doubt it. I also want to say that Priest played there at some point, but I didn’t see them.

I kinda agree with NP about the set list. I had only seen Opeth once before, on the Heritage tour, and still almost every pre-Pale Communion tour song played at Red Rocks was played at that first show. Frankly, in terms of setlist and performance, that concert was better.(https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2013/fox-theatre-boulder-co-6bd9be6a.html)

But this is one that you’ll want to check out for the production and visual. The band was clearly in awe of the venue and it was a special night. It’ll also be nice to have some of the prog era Opeth songs on a good quality live recording. They sound so much better live without the sterile production. Especially the Sorceress stuff, as that might be my least favorite Opeth album in terms of production.

Maiden at Red Rocks would be awesome. They should do it in 2021 or 2022 IMO, leave me enough time to save up for a Murican trip :p

I love Opeth, but I tend not to get that interested in concert albums/DVDs because they are so much like the original. The mix on "Sorceress" does sound good though.
Are there any DVD's from other bands in that venue?
Tons, just not any metal or heavier bands that I know of. U2
The U2 video was how I first learned about Red Rocks the venue. People "of an age" like me could not escape this video, which was on heavy MTV rotation:

Maiden at Red Rocks would be awesome. They should do it in 2021 or 2022 IMO, leave me enough time to save up for a Murican trip :p

Actually one of the better BNW vids out there. Although if you take a look at the crowd you can see why Maiden never film in America. I love Bruce during Ghost of the Navigator when he's right at the security barrier. But everyone just seems so unimpressed.

They supposedly played there during the Powerslave tour too. :eek:

A lot of the songs were slow. I think it had to do with the cold. Deliverance was almost dragging at times.

Feel bad for Mikael. He can't really growl anymore but he has to try, because they have a lot of great material. Bet he wishes they could play instrumental versions, acoustic versions or versions with clean vocals.

My big takeaway from that show was they should retire the growly songs. There's enough material that they could do full sets with just clean vocals. The newer albums don't really get enough attention in the setlists anyway.

Some guitar (connection) trouble before the 3rd minute. Cool that they show that to be honest.

Nervy moment when you know a DVD is in the making of this. :--)

My big takeaway from that show was they should retire the growly songs. There's enough material that they could do full sets with just clean vocals. The newer albums don't really get enough attention in the setlists anyway.

They tried something like that in the Heritage tour, people weren't too pleased with it.

But I agree. Not only that, but they could get adventurous and do different versions for growled stuff as well. It worked well with Demon of the Fall.

That Heritage tour setlist wasn't great IMO. A lot of those Heritage songs didn't work live. Now they have two more albums in that style with more energetic live-ready songs. There will also probably be a third by the time they tour again.

This is the most underrated Opeth song. I love it. That lead melody from Mikael might be the best moment in Opeth's entire discography, not exagerrating.

Oh yeah, that's pretty great. I think this song suffers more from lack of interesting vocal work than it does music. The music is really good.

Back