Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
#MMDGA

"Harvest" - I think I like Opeth best when they keep all the death metal stuff and all the quieter stuff separate. The mix of the two in "Bleak" is what I think I liked least. On that note, having an entirely acoustic-based song is a cool idea and they succeed with it. There's nothing bad about this song whatsoever and I even think it's better than "The Leper Affinity".

I think you might be the only person I've ever heard with this opinion. Opeth's blending of light and dark, heavy and acoustic within the same songs is one of their most revered musical staples. Honestly, if they were only heavy and then light in separate songs, I never would have become such a fan.

I'm definitely gonna be coming back to it and Opeth in general in the future. Good shit.

Oh, young one, yes...yes you will. Opeth has you now.

Friend of mine heard it today and I decided to check it out because of him. He actually thought the first four songs + the title track were awesome, and the rest were a bit more of a mixed bag, but it was a good album overall.

Those first four will grow on you. I think your friend's opinion is shared by most Opeth fans in that the second half of the album (until the title track) is seen as inferior to the first four tracks.

Still Life is my favorite Opeth Album. Every song is a 10 except and Benighted is an 11.

FTFY

I think you might be the only person I've ever heard with this opinion. Opeth's blending of light and dark, heavy and acoustic within the same songs is one of their most revered musical staples. Honestly, if they were only heavy and then light in separate songs, I never would have become such a fan.
I think you understood my meaning. I like Opeth songs with acoustic stuff and death metal stuff in the same place, what bothered me was the clean style of singing over their death metal music. That’s what I thought should be kept separate, only in the acoustic part. Hope that clears it up.

Mikael's clean singing being very soft definitely is a curveball when he utilizes them in heavy parts. I'm into it though, always been.

The first verse in The Lotus Eater from Watershed is pretty much him going balls-to-the-wall experimenting with that juxtaposition, singing clean over blast beats, definitely challenging and, imo, fun.

I think you understood my meaning. I like Opeth songs with acoustic stuff and death metal stuff in the same place, what bothered me was the clean style of singing over their death metal music. That’s what I thought should be kept separate, only in the acoustic part. Hope that clears it up.

Gotcha! I can see how that might be a little strange at first. But also:

I love when Mikael sings clean over heavy music. I wish they would do that on their current albums.

:ok:

I want Opeth to make heavy music again. I don't care about the vocals. He can sing clean all he wants!

I just want them to write cohesive music again and use modern productions. Heritage and Sorceress have some okay parts but the songs lack cohesion. Pale Communion is amazing, but just like the other two it would sound better with modern production instead of warm fuzzy 70s tones.

I think Opeth should just end the 70s prog-revivalism run. Three albums is enough. Heritage and Pale Communion are good, but with Sorceress things started to get tedious. The latter is the only Opeth album that I wouldn't consider a favorite of mine.

I don't give a damn about the growls personally, Mikael can't growl like he used to, and I don't even necessarily want them to do super heavy stuff again. I'd love to see them put out an album like a heavier Damnation, an album that has mellow songs and A Fair Judgement-like stuff.

Top 5 Opeth tunes...

Blackwater Park
Harlequin Forest
Ghost of Perdition
Hope Leaves
Windowpane

Name yours.

Everyone loves Deliverance but other than the ending the song doesn’t do too much for me. I find that whole album to be pretty underwhelming.

Still Life is an album that I can’t even pick a favorite song from because the whole thing flows so well. Can’t say that about their other albums other than Blackwater Park and Damnation.

Moonlapse Vertigo
By The Pain I See In Others
Wreath
Bleak
Faith In Others

My current Top 5 in no particular order.

1.Blackwater Park
2. The Drapery Falls
3. Moonlapse Vertigo
4. The Moor
5. Reverie/Harlequin Forest

Ghost of Perdition
Blackwater Park
Bleak
Deliverance
The Drapery Falls

Probably a pretty standard top 5. Even though Ghost Reveries is my favorite Opeth album, three songs from Blackwater Park appear in my top 5. As a whole, I get more out of Ghost Reveries when listening to the entire album, but it peaks with the very first track. Baying of the Hounds and Harlequin Forest are fantastic though and are somewhere in the top ten.

Regarding some of your choices...

I love Moonlapse Vertigo. It’s hard to pick a favorite on Still Life, but that’s probably the one. The heavy, dirty, even bluesy verse riff is one of the catchiest passages the band has ever written. The intro is stunning, as well. Conversely, I’ve never understood the love for The Moor. It’s a solid track but I feel like the album offers so much more after it has passed.

The bookends of Deliverance are hit-or-miss for me. I like a lot of By the Pain I See in Others, such as the intense chorus (one of my favorites of theirs) and the carnival section. However, Wreath has never clicked with me. There’s a few minutes of interesting parts, but that doesn’t justify an 11-minute song.

Bleak and The Drapery Falls are top ten Opeth, no doubt. From the emotional woes of the former’s chorus and bridge to the amazing Russian wall of guitars and start/stop dynamic of the latter’s later sections, these two songs are many people’s favorites for a reason.

I absolutely love Faith in Others. One of the highlights of that album for me, along with the opening track. That Maidenish harmony that Mikael plays and hums is chilling, and the overall groovy vibe of the song is something the band hadn’t done in a while.

I haven recently gotten into Opeth and I have a question that might be unpopular but here it goes. I have Blackwater Park and Still Life, Heritage, Pale Communion and Sorceress. I love the last three but hate, loathe and despise Blackwater Park and Still Life. Mostly because of the growling. My question is is if I love the last three how far back do I go before I get into the growling albums as I am not going to bother with those?

Damnation, Heritage, Pale Communion, and Sorceress are the only growl free albums.

Watershed is the last album they did with growls but it’s mostly clean singing. Ghost Reveries is kinda half and half.

No particular order:

The Baying of the Hounds
Deliverance
Ghost of Perdition
The Drapery Falls
Bleak
Honourable mention: (Forest of October)

Back