OPETH SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!

Night Prowler, you put a lot of work in it. You describe well what you like. And there IS a lot you like here. And this makes me realize (every once in a while) that we have a different taste. Where you say the best solos I disagree. You say best vocals, best drums. Again I disagree.

But even if I agree on these aspects, it is the way these songs are made, and the lack of balance on this album making it such a difficult listening experience for me. On previous work I found lots of little twists that kept me at the edge of my seat. There are melodic or atmospheric sections I'm looking forward to every time I play these songs. Twists are not that necessary when there is something else that feels good. But on this album I am not that overwhelmed.

While older work can be seen by some as very busy because of the changes, for me this album is very busy in the segments themselves. It is very intense. My beef is that a very large percentage is very much like this. There are not many welcome calm sections. In other words, and this may also explain why you like it so much Night Prowler: this is a very heavy album with not much breathing/recharging space. This makes it very constant. Too constant for my taste to see it as one of their best.

I will try to focus on separate songs but I don't give them much chance vs earlier and later work. I often do not find much variation where it is needed. This said, I will play the whole album again, now with your commentary.

Last edited:
My listening thoughts essay on Still Life:

The Moor – We kick off the album with a creepy ass intro that sounds like Death Itself taking a midnight stroll through the fog. The whole buildup is perfect, from the acoustics to the rhythmic shifts underneath that first big riff. Mikael's torrent of screams after the long dirge adds to the chaos, introducing the tortured soul of the protagonist. This is an incredible start to the definitive Opeth sound. The vocals have finally reached their potential in terms of both growling and singing, the transition into the cleans is perfectly fluid, and the lead guitar underneath accentuates the vocals so well. A spooky musical break cuts the tension, but exists only as a brief reprieve. I love the chorus riff and melody, and we transition perfectly through harmonized guitar wailing that leads into…more harmonized wailing! The acoustic section with the jaunty Celtic riff (around 8:00) is just masterfully done. It's amazing how fluid all the music is here, a stark contrast to the first two albums. After a beautifully sung section that contrasts love and hate with sweet clean singing, the first real nonsense lullaby appears in an Opeth song and it's glorious. The creepy whispered "Melinda" before it returns to heaviness is spine-chilling. The brilliance is in the confidence of the ending. Similar to what they will do later on Ghost of Perdition, the song picks up and reaches its ultimate climax and immediately ends. It's crazy to say that an 11-minute song is restrained, but it truly is. The ending leaves you wanting more, even though you've already been given it. 10/10

Godhead’s Lament – The first minute and a half are brutal as hell, with a lead that is constructed out of pure madness tinkering away beneath Mikael’s bellowing growl. When the riffage kicks in at 1:42 the song levels up. The lead at 3 mins is so emotional and perfect, especially once it’s harmonized. Mikael's vocals take the melody and lead into a beautiful acoustic section with a background of harmonized guitars in ghoul-minor, the most Opeth of keys. The entire vocal passage over the acoustics is splendid- it sounds like a church choir (fitting for the song about the protagonist’s anger against his love’s turn towards religion). The songwriting, from concept to lyric to execution, has truly come into the forefront of the band and we're so much better off for it. I love the break after the heavy part before the final chorus. That's right – Opeth has pre-choruses and choruses now! It ends with a wail of pure rage, leading us into the beauty of Benighted. Another perfect song. 10/10

Benighted - I can't describe how much I love this song. It's beautiful and an exemplary display of acoustic guitar playing and arranging that you would never get in a “metal” band other than Opeth. The fact that the majority of the fan base doesn't adore this song is beyond me. It's a hallmark of Opeth's catalogue and probably my favorite soft song they've ever written. I love the arpeggios, the slides, the melodies, the harmonies, the groovy full band section, that guitar solo - it's simply perfect. One of Opeth's hardest songs to play and it's nearly all acoustic. I think a song of this nature is 100% necessary on an album such as this – it’s a reflective number in a sea of destruction, yet (like the other tracks) it never stops moving. 10/10

Moonlapse Vertigo - The. Riffs. Never. Stop. That lead with the acoustics under it in the beginning is out of this world. There's some hope at this point in the story, and losing that hope throughout this song is what makes it so great. The riff under the first growled part (2:40ish) is astounding. Not to mention those growls are pummeling, Mikael’s best yet. The dynamics make this song truly perfect. The bluesy touches throughout are quite unique for early Opeth, like the funky chord leading into that little solo at 5:00 with the atonal chords underneath it before things get really dark with the volume swells. This song is untouchable. When the real guitar solo kicks in it pushes the protagonist towards pain, violence and rage. Overall, I'd say this is the best song on the album. It's the Empire Strikes Back of songs on Still Life. 10/10

Face of Melinda - A beautiful, sorrowful piece that builds the bridge towards the end of the album. Regarding the songwriting: it says a lot about Mikael's confidence that, as a guy in a death metal band, he chooses a soothing, clean vocal song to portray the deepest moment of sadness for this character. It's a masterful decision. This kind of stuff is what sets Opeth apart from everyone else. The music does the talking, with those heavy riffs finally crashing in and giving the listener the release they expect without beating them over the head with double bass and screaming (because we’ll get plenty on the next song). The outro is awesome and haunting, leading perfectly into madness. 10/10

Serenity Painted Death - Demon of the Fall x2. The Track of Evil, and what a track it is! So many great riffs and melodies here, it’s hard to pick a favorite. The melody at :50 is amazing, as is the “Serenity Painted Death” riff, the riff after that...it's all brilliant and it all works together instead of sounding completely random. Mikael's growls are absolutely vicious here. Maybe his best ever in a single song. The bluesy part with the lead under it at 3:20 is one of my favorite moments, especially once the vocals kick in. The guitars on this album are top notch. Career best, I think. "Darkness reared its head" verse is purely terrifying. The moody guitar solo that follows is one of my favorites, as well, especially the way it ends and leads into the clean vocal section. Oh! And the pinch harmonic in the chorus riff! God. I can't even. Maybe this is the best song on the album. I don't even know anymore. 10/10

White Cluster - This song crept up on me. It's got a lot of little bluesy touches here and there, some wah-wah chords, some great clean vocals, some great heavy vocals, it's got everything great you want to hear in an Opeth song. The clean vocal section is the catchiest on the whole album. Upon my first few listens, this song didn't stand out and I finally discovered the reason: it comes after 50 minutes of brilliance. The more I absorbed the song, the more I came to appreciate it. It truly stands up against any other great track from the album with tons of riffs, great heaviness, singing, and a killer groove that shifts throughout. It's got a creepy, panned acoustic part and a growl from the bowels of hell, before a Dream Theater section and a stellar pair of frenetic tradeoff guitar solos. God, this song is power. A masterful way to end a completely flawless album. 10/10

This album is so immersive. Every time I listen to it I look at the clock and literally don't understand how an hour has passed. It's pure magic from start to finish. Part of that is that the music just never stops - it flows from song to song and passage to passage in master strokes. Every song on this album is like a river: it never stops flowing. Gone are the start/stop transitions from the early albums (that will unfortunately reappear later in the discography). This sense of movement keeps the energy from dipping, yet never diminishes the dynamics of each song.

I fully believe this is Mikael's crowning achievement of songwriting from a riff perspective and certainly from a musical transition perspective. Everything that is Opeth is defined and perfected on this record.

Needless to say, I will not be voting for anything off of Still Life.

Face Of Melinda

One of their most popular songs and definitely the most popular one from this album. I think it’s the first Opeth song that only features clean vocals and it’s an instant classic.

Except for To Bid You Farewell, Credence, and (mostly recently) Benighted just two tracks prior. :D

While older work can be seen by some as very busy because of the changes, for me this album is very busy in the segments themselves. It is very intense. My beef is that a very large percentage is very much like this. There are not many welcome calm sections. In other words, and this may also explain why you like it so much Night Prowler: this is a very heavy album with not much breathing/recharging space. This makes it very constant. Too constant for my taste to see it as one of their best.

This is precisely why I like this album. The songs (and album) sound connected. They do not sound like a collection of parts and this is due to it being "constant" as you put it. Even the calm songs never stop moving. I can understand why you feel the way you do, but I don't see this as "intensity", but as movement. This album is alive to me.

Not an ounce of criticism. I have trouble with reading such "putting on pedestal"- album reviews.
I fully believe this is Mikael's crowning achievement of songwriting from a riff perspective and certainly from a musical transition perspective. Everything that is Opeth is defined and perfected on this record.
I am totally fine that he (and any other artist I appreciate) didn't come close (read: didn't take this kind of songwriting so far) on any other record.

Last edited:
I'm doing my utter best to respect that. It just isn't that easy to fathom. I don't know any perfect album: Painkiller isn't perfect, Moving Pictures isn't perfect, Somewhere in Time isn't perfect. I didn't know anyone else who thinks an album is perfect. This is a first. Give me another hour or day and I'll believe and respect it totally. Meanwhile I'll criticize the music some more:

As stubborn as I may sound, this album really bores me in places. I played it again today. I found a review being pretty close to my own overall thoughts on Still Life. I disagree somewhat on his takes on the individual songs. E.g. I find Moonlapse better than most other songs (and when I play an album I never skip).
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Opeth/Still_Life/141/flightoficarus86/344745
When discussing Opeth, there are invariably two albums that get mentioned when discussing their best works: Blackwater Park and Still Life. While the former is an absolute masterpiece in my mind, I will have to argue with opinions of the latter.

Opeth are extremely accomplished musicians and talented composers. To this album’s credit, many of their strengths had been polished up by this fourth outing. The production is clear, but not overdone. There is a layer of haunting echo over everything. The guitars come through strong and with that trademark proggy death tone and “bounce” if you will.

Another strength is the lyrics. For those who have been living under a rock, this is a concept album. I am not a particular fan of these. They tend to become stilted, preachy, and unpleasant. The restrictions of this style of writing can really chain the music down. However, the story here works better than on any of their other albums and is delivered in an earnest manner.

So what is wrong with this album being lauded as one of their master works? Simple. It’s boring. I’m sure hundreds of people could argue with me about why I am wrong, but I don’t care. I have tried. My friend got me into these guys in high school. I have seen them live. I totally dig their music and have listened to every album. I WANTED to love this like my peers. I have listened to it dozens of times at different points in my life hoping one day the light that it seems to shine on everyone would appear to me. It hasn’t.

Godhead’s Lament starts off pretty good, but tapers off. Benighted, Moonlapse Vertigo, and Face of Melinda…skip. As a rule, I don’t like to skip songs, but I just can’t make it through the snorefest anymore (and don’t misunderstand me, each honest attempt at this album I listened to every second of it). Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster have their strengths. A few catchy riffs, some great vocals, good progression. With the squealing guitars and guttural vocals, Serenity has some sections that are probably the most “death metal” of anything they have written. But these songs still pale in comparison to Opeth’s lengthy catalog.

There is one saving grace here: The Moor. This is an excellent song in every way. It eludes to many of the ideas that will happen on the next album while opening up the story on a strong note. Again, there are the “bouncy” prog metal guitars, plenty of changing movements, a variety of beats, and seamless changes in atmosphere. If it were not for this song, I would ignore the album altogether.

At this point, some might argue that I just don’t like their acoustic stuff. This is not so either. They have written quite a few solely acoustic songs I dig. More importantly, I think that their second best album is My Arms, Your Hearse. That is an excellent album with plenty of softer parts that just strike me as being better orchestrated and more interesting. The concept in the lyrics is not as accomplished, but I will sacrifice that for better musicianship any day of the week.

If you find yourself bored listening to this, you are not alone. Just don’t let it turn you off the band. Instead, I highly recommend Blackwater Park, My Arms Your Hearse, and for the later stuff Watershed.
This portrays my thoughts on Face of Melinda neatly:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Opeth/Still_Life/141/UnholyCrusada/320625
Sadly, the same praise cannot be piled upon “Face of Melinda”, which takes my pick for the worst song on here. Essentially, this is yet another shining example of the overlong, wandering nature of the previous songs, but without any attempt whatsoever at sounding energetic and with even less going on within the song. The track plods along for more than half its duration riding on an uninteresting clean guitar passage, with an equally uninspired, tired-sounding vocal performance backing it up. Never once does the band deviate from this dull, utterly lifeless display, or make any attempt at an epic moment. Even when they finally decide to kick on the distortion after four and a half minutes of this dreck, the riff that follows is just a variation on the same chord progression, played with no more spirit than before, and continues on at the same dithering pace until the song eventually fades out. It’s frankly hard for me to believe that a band can bring themselves to release a song as legitimately boring as this one, with nary an ounce of effort made at sounding enthusiastic about their craft. Considering the state of almost everything preceding it however, it’s hardly a surprise. From the drudging riff-work, to the seemingly never-ending repetition that plagues these tracks, the atmosphere and sense of energy remain about as dead as Melinda is by the end of the album (whoops, spoilers!).

You are entitled to your opinion, as is that reviewer, but I simply do not understand how anyone could view this album as boring. Is it more focused (i.e. simplistic) in structure than the first three albums? Yes. But I only see that focus as a positive in terms of the songwriting. These songs stick with me, they're memorable. Even the songs that I truly love off the first two albums are so dense with completely unconnected musical passages that they are not memorable to me.

That critique of Face of Melinda just sounds like a "metal guy" not liking the "non-metal song". I can imagine he has similar thoughts on every other clean vocal, groovy, atmospheric track and especially the entire Damnation album.

While I really like MAYH, I simply do not understand how someone could love that album and find Still Life boring. It is, in everything from concept to execution, the band clearly improving on and perfecting the styles introduced on MAYH.

I cannot fathom your reaction to this album as much as you cannot fathom mine.

I cannot fathom your reaction to this album as much as you cannot fathom mine.
This, pretty much. There's not much else to say. Plus I cannot fathom Foro's votes for the early stuff either (Advent and Demon Of The Fall, for example). We just have a very different taste in Opeth.

Plus, that review... I'm not gonna bother arguing with all the blasphemy, but saying Still Life is repetitive is really harsh. Even when they do repeat some parts, they always change up something so that it's not 100% same.

Even the songs that I truly love off the first two albums are so dense with completely unconnected musical passages that they are not memorable to me.
Sorry for again fathoming something badly but how can a song be truly loved but not be memorable? I never made a distinction between these two. How would that sound on a girl? "Yeah I love her deeply, but she's not memorable." ;)
That critique of Face of Melinda just sounds like a "metal guy" not liking the "non-metal song". I can imagine he has similar thoughts on every other clean vocal, groovy, atmospheric track and especially the entire Damnation album.
No, no. He's very positive about Benighted (best song). He is also positive about Damnation. I also prefer that song and that album over Melinda.
saying Still Life is repetitive is really harsh. Even when they do repeat some parts, they always change up something so that it's not 100% same.
I agree that there are changes, but less so in mood, tempo and tone, compared to other albums. It gets kinda monotone, even when there's so much going on (the busy riffing).

Where I had a strong dislike for the album in previous years, I slowly begin to see certain good moments. But there's lots of space in between. E.g. while I quite like Moor (probably my favourite), it takes no less than nine(!) minutes before I have a real wow-moment. Start laughing but this is my favourite part of the album. So simple, but beautiful. Wish it would be repeated more often!

Last edited:
Sorry for again fathoming something badly but how can a song be truly loved but not be memorable? I never made a distinction between these two. How would that sound on a girl? "Yeah I love her deeply, but she's not memorable." ;)

I agree! I wish it made more sense and I wish I could commit those early songs to memory, but I'm telling you: I listened to Orchid 8 times (this relisten alone, not counting the hundred times I've already heard it) and I give a couple songs on it 9 or 10/10, but if you played a random riff from any song on that album - I couldn't tell you where it came from.

Also, that part you linked to is awesome. So we agree on that. :)

I like Still Life a lot but I find it far from being perfect or the best Opeth album. More later.

I think Still Life is one of their strongest albums, and probably in my top three (along with Damnation and BWP). But is it perfect? No. Despite being in the same style as BWP and arguably having catchier riffs, for some reason I find myself listening to BWP more often. Even I couldn't tell you why this is, but sometimes I just get kind of worn out from Still Life.

On one of their DVDs, Mikael says "[Still Life] is fucking complicated." However, I fail to see how it is any more complicated than their first two albums, where 99% of the passages never repeat and the average song is 10 minutes long. In fact, I think it is far simpler due to the inclusion of these repeated elements, known as "verses" and "choruses" to non-Opethians.

Edit: Why am I still the only one who has voted?

On one of their DVDs, Mikael says "[Still Life] is fucking complicated." However, I fail to see how it is any more complicated than their first two albums, where 99% of the passages never repeat and the average song is 10 minutes long. In fact, I think it is far simpler due to the inclusion of these repeated elements, known as "verses" and "choruses" to non-Opethians.

Edit: Why am I still the only one who has voted?

I think he means complicated in terms of the actual playing - the riffing on Still Life is some of the band's most difficult to date and beyond.

Also, you're the only one who has these songs memorized. The rest of us are listening to each album multiple times to soak in the many layers of these heavy metal pieces.

Also, you're the only one who has these songs memorized. The rest of us are listening to each album multiple times to soak in the many layers of these heavy metal pieces.

He's not actually, I just couldn't be arsed to vote/write up until now :p (Also had to check exact times to be able to write them down)

My favorite Opeth album changes depending on my mood, but Still Life is one of those that take their turn from time to time. First take away from the album compared to the past: The vocals. It's not just Mikael's tone and delivery that's improved, it's also his knack for writing vocal melodies. Moor, Godhead, Benighted, Melinda all feature memorable clean singing parts that stay with you. -Benighted may be my favorite Opeth song to sing, in fact, garbage as my voice might be- The second noticeable difference, the complexity of the playing. Mikael isn't referring to song structure when he says the album is fucking complicated, he's referring to the riffs. While I can figure out almost everything on the first three records on guitar with some patience, a lot of stuff on Still Life is beyond my reach as someone who plays guitar as a secondary instrument.

There's not a single weak track on the album and its best stuff is up there with the very best of the band. A phenomenal record and one of my favorite albums ever.

1. The Moor: This one captures what Opeth does best. Incredible dynamism. An intro straight out of a horror film, then a great riff frenzy -love the riff behind the verses-. That part where the sound dies down and there's only the guitar playing a clean but eerie riff and then the band starts playing that riff loudly is one of my favorite Opeth moments ever. -It was fucking amazing live, too- The second part of the song isn't any lesser than the first part, the lead melody/acoustic part that leads to the "There is no forgiveness" verse is fantastic. One of the band's greatest works.
2. Godhead's Lament: That intro NEVER fails to get me pumped up. The first verse is one of my favorite Opeth verses to growl. "Searching my way into perplexion" and "Thought I could not leave this place on this imminent day" parts are among the highlights of the album. I think it goes on for a bit too long (half a minute or so) but that's negligible for how good it is.
3. Benighted: I have newfound love for this song. I used to consider it the weakest track on the record but no way. Very nice arpeggios complementing one of Mikael's best ever vocal performances. This song is a good example of the direction I want the band to explore. Acoustic singer-songwriter type material.
4. Moonlapse Vertigo: Least favorite track on the album. I know, I know, heresy of me to say so while being such a fan of the album. That's not to say it's not good, it is, but it has less things that stay with me compared to the other songs on the album. Less conjoined, too. A sidenote: I've always thought that the harmony that leads to the first verse sounds more like a fade-out outro than it does something to be used early in the track.
5. Face of Melinda: Fucking love the clean parts of this song, are you kidding me random commenter on that board? Feels pretty smooth jazzy, which I like. I love how rich and thick the acoustic guitars and bass sound. A lot of atonal sounding stuff on this one but all of them are brilliant. The weird sounding chords in the part before the song explodes are a special favorite of mine, reminds me of folk singer-songwriters that loved to experiment with their chords. The exploding riff is also a highlight, great climax for a great buildup.
6. Serenity Painted Death: Regarding the first verse, see Godhead's Lament. That riff at 1:25 is as high as a highlight can get. What a sick groove. Then the chorus, which is probably the sickest chorus the band has written, combining eerie riffs with brutal lyrics. Love the phaser guitar part around the 5th minute. The weird rhythm and the solo drags the song's momentum down a bit, imo, though the following part with the clean vocals picks it up.
7. White Cluster: First couple of minutes are decent but the song really picks up steam with that grand riff at 3:40. The dynamic shift trick that worked on Moor so gloriously works again. Sound dies down, acoustic guitar plays a riff, then the band picks up that riff and crushes all over the place. Don't love the solo but love the riff underneath. Returning to the clean vocal part is a bit unnecessary, though the outro is killer. (Not that clean guitar thing in the end, the full band parts before that)

I voted just in case I forget about it.

Last edited:
Just gave BWP a listen and I can confidently vote for this first round:

- everything left from Orchid except Twilight
- Harvest and Patterns, the latter being a fluff piece (a great one, but still not a full song) and the former being the weakest song on the album (though still very good).

Back