OPETH ALBUMS SURVIVOR 2017: Results -> Blackwater Park wins again!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
yi1wT33.jpg

Top 12
My Arms, Your Hearse
10. Morningrise
11. Sorceress
12. Heritage

My Arms, Your Hearse lost the tiebreaker against Orchid, based on the number of votes in the second to last round (they had the same number of votes in all rounds).

While I appreciate many individual songs from Damnation a lot, as a whole album this collection has less going on than all other remaining albums (too long the same intensity or lack thereof) .
It gets my vote, together with Still Life and Blackwater Park. The other albums offer more to me melody, rhythm and adventure/variation wise.

yi1wT33.jpg

Top 12
Orchid
09. My Arms, Your Hearse
10. Morningrise
11. Sorceress
12. Heritage

Well, you guys already killed Sorceress, so [Damnation is] next on my list. I don't have the same reverence for that album that most do.

At least half of the songs on that album are among the strongest "quiet" tunes they've ever done, and the album flows beautifully from beginning to end. I can understand how some may not enjoy Weakness on its own, but in the context of the album it fits perfectly. Together with Still Life it is the only Opeth album that I consider to have no filler.

At least half of the songs on that album are among the strongest "quiet" tunes they've ever done, and the album flows beautifully from beginning to end. I can understand how some may not enjoy Weakness on its own, but in the context of the album it fits perfectly. Together with Still Life it is the only Opeth album that I consider to have no filler.

I'm not saying the songs aren't good, they're great, but one of my favourite things about Opeth is dynamics. I love the way they can play with tone, style, light, dark, heavy, etc. within the space of a record. Damnation is one big continuous slab of melancholy.

Also Weakness sucks.

yi1wT33.jpg

Top 12
Pale Communion
08. Orchid
09. My Arms, Your Hearse
10. Morningrise
11. Sorceress
12. Heritage

Pale Communion lost the tiebreaker against Watershed, based on the number of votes in all rounds.

Back