On repetitive choruses

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: good and varied song (the first and second halves are really different)
For the Greater Good of God: a very formulatic and boring song (in my opinion of course:))

This is important, because even though they both have the same repetitive chorus, Seventh Son... don't get much complaining 'cause the rest of the song is gold.
My complaining about repetitive choruses on newer albums is very much connected to formulatic and uninteresting structures (I'm not saying the classics were better, but they were (for the most time) shorter and catchier). Long songs are not progressive if they repeat the long sections over and over...

Repetitive chorus usually don't bother me, unless they're really weak.

In fact, For the Greater Good of God is one of my favourite songs and it's very repetitive and imo it actually helps the song.
On the other hand, The Angel and the Gambler despite being a cute song, it repeats the (not so good) chorus way too much.

I undertstand people that don't like this, but most times they over-react.
And it seems Harris listened to those people since TFF is less  repetitive than AMOLAD.
I'm fine with both lyrical styles.

I don't mind repetition; FTGGOG is one of my most played Maiden songs, and I love the repetition. I love the repetition. (See what I did there?) Saying the same line in the chorus doesn't bug me much, as long as it doesn't get overdone (TAATG, I'm talking about you).

Perhaps another aspect of this is whether or not you are seeing the band live or not.  On the album, I could care less what choruses do or don't repeat, but when you see them live, and the whole crowd chimes in, even a mediocre song can be transformed into a metal anthem.  Blood Brothers is a good example.  Having the whole crowd jump in at the chorus is amazingly powerful.

chaosapiant said:
Perhaps another aspect of this is whether or not you are seeing the band live or not.  On the album, I could care less what choruses do or don't repeat, but when you see them live, and the whole crowd chimes in, even a mediocre song can be transformed into a metal anthem.  Blood Brothers is a good example.  Having the whole crowd jump in at the chorus is amazingly powerful.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing this song live.  I can only imagine the new meaning and feeling when the audience sings "we're blood brothers".

Genghis Khan said:
I've never had the pleasure of hearing this song live.  I can only imagine the new meaning and feeling when the audience sings "we're blood brothers".

It's a great song, but I wasn't particularly looking forward to it over any other song, and yet it was probably the emotional highlight of the show, for me.  And the repetitive chorus is a HUGE bag of awesome with the entire audience singing along.

I saw Maiden do BB in 2000 here in Minnesota, but unfortunately the audience didn't know the song well enough to sing along to it. I really hope they come back next year and do it again since the audience will probably know the song a bit better.

As I've mentioned before, Blood Bros. live this summer was an overwhelming success and really the peek of the set.  Exactly right, the whole crowd screaming together "We're Blood Brothers", following Bruce's moving words before the song began, unreal!  Something like we're all in this together no matter what religion, race, or species!! Classic Bruce humor and inspiration. 

Again, this tune is SO emotional and beautiful, the repeating chorus is totally acceptable and brings the house down live. No More Lies is a more annoying chorus, but again, hearing it live was intense.  Another great moment. 

bornless1 said:
   As I've mentioned before, Blood Bros. live this summer was an overwhelming success and really the peek of the set.  Exactly right, the whole crowd screaming together "We're Blood Brothers", following Bruce's moving words before the song began, unreal!  Something like we're all in this together no matter what religion, race, or species!! Classic Bruce humor and inspiration. 

Again, this tune is SO emotional and beautiful, the repeating chorus is totally acceptable and brings the house down live. No More Lies is a more annoying chorus, but again, hearing it live was intense.  Another great moment. 

When i saw them play "No More Lies" this summer I think I screamed myself until my voice was gone just because of those choruses.  And yet Bruce is all over the damn place belting it out like he doesn't even require air to breathe.  It's insane!!!

Genghis Khan said:

It was one of the most moving moments I ever witnessed at a gig.

+1. Blood Brothers was not just the highlight of that particular gig, but of all rock or metal gigs I've been to. Matched only by Rime of the Ancient Mariner two years ago.

Genghis Khan said:
Darn, stupid camping trip and conflicts.  Sounds like 'Fear of the Dark' has nothing on BB live.

BB was certainly an unexpected highlight for me. I had no idea it was gonna be THAT awesome!

Genghis Khan said:
Darn, stupid camping trip and conflicts.  Sounds like 'Fear of the Dark' has nothing on BB live.

Well, they're very different songs so it's hard to compare.  Fear of the Dark was another live highlight this tour, but I didn't think as much of it last tour.  One factor, ironically enough, was that this time it was dark. :ninja:

Ya know what I think?

Anyone who complains about repetitive choruses should get off their asses and go to a concert! You don't know what you are missing!

And when you do, and Bruce DEMANDS that you "scream for me (wherever you are)" and Steve is screaming the song out to the crowd, and Davey is pointing at you with that big grin on his face, and Adrian's got that little smirk as he stares into the crowd, and Janick is pointing his guitar at you (and Nicko's being Nicko)... come back and tell me you don't enjoy the choruses.

One thing Maiden (every darn one of them) has made clear on numerous occasions, is one of their biggest loves is playing their songs live and having the audience full of energy getting involved. The "repetitive choruses" are exactly our chance to do that. And are usually a lot easier to sing than some of the other lines that I for one know I could never do justice. It also makes getting involved a lot easier for the more casual fan.

Of course, nowadays, with many of their songs, it's a moot point. Go to a concert and listen to them play "Fear of the Dark" and you'll hear the crowd singing every single word, as well as harmonizing with the music itself.

But regardless, to me, those repetitive choruses are one of the best things when it comes to seeing them in all their glory on stage. I become part of the show - along with tens of thousands of other Maiden fans... belting out each line of the chorus every time Bruce sings it (or screams for us to).

Back