Official Tourdates Discussion Thread

Re: More tourdates to be announced on Halloween says IM.com

Only Holland and Hungary left to be announced...

I'll have to travel a long, long way to see my favourite band this summer  :D

Attachments

• poljud-im.jpg
    poljud-im.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 15

I read somewhere that the promoters of "Rocklahoma" will announce their headliners the 1st week of March...So we'll see if Maiden really is playing there this year. If so, then I'm sure Maiden will have more North American dates posted around the same time.

gulranek said:
Only Holland and Hungary left to be announced...

how do you know?
Like I have said earlier, a gig in Russia would be cool. It's been a long time for metalfans there. :)

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHH YEAH!
:)

------------------------------

Maiden announce HOLLAND show
Published: January 23, 2008

Iron Maiden are very pleased to announce they will be performing at the Assen TT Race Track in Assen, Holland on Saturday 16th August as part of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008. This is the first time any such music event has been staged as the famous motorcycling rack track which regularly hosts the World superbike championships and TT races.

Steve Harris says "As we've said throughout the announcements for this tour it's always exciting for us to play somewhere brand new and to be the first ever music artist to play at this prestigious venue is fantastic. We always get to Holland as it does have great memories for us over the years way back to the beginning and our first ever ventures out of the UK."

We have a short pre-sale on Thursday and Friday for fanclub members - check the FC News.

Tickets go on-sale to the general public at 10am on Saturday 26th Jan via www.livenation.nl

----------------

Assen is in the north east of the Netherlands so I bet some Germans will be around. The following map is not the greatest, but it's just to get an idea where Assen is. It's the capital of the province Drenthe, and lies in the northern half of that province.
157895558.jpg

The on-sale to the general public starts at the day when I'm traveliing from Poland back the Netherlands, so I sure hope I'll be able to get tickets. I don't remember that Maiden ever sold out on the first day in the Netherlands, but this special tour makes me doubt, though. Anyway, it's not likely, because this famous outdoor venue should be huge.

The TT Circuit Assen is the most famous motorcycle racing circuit in the world and is the only circuit that has been in the MotoGP calendar since 1949.

It is considered "The Cathedral" of motorcycling by the fans. It has a capacity of 100,000 spectators, including 60,000 seats.

I wonder how they will position the stage on such a track.

Satellite picture by Google Maps
1176875634.14831.jpg

circuit-assen.gif

MotoGP_Assen06_270.jpg

Good news for you, Forostar - ocngratulations  ;) Since this is two weeks after the Wacken festival, you are perhaps attending Wacken as well?

I can mention that for Trondheim, the Trondheim Rock Festival is starting to get in some more bands. (This is in June, several weeks before Maiden, but it is TRF who are promoting the Maiden show as well). Among several names are Judas Priest - I must seriously consider seeing them as well.

Eddies Wingman said:
Good news for you, Forostar - ocngratulations  ;) Since this is two weeks after the Wacken festival, you are perhaps attending Wacken as well?

Yes, thanks! I have Wacken tickets for quite a while but now I can finally be sure that it's possible to see Maiden in the Netherlands as well. Damn it might even be the biggest gig of the whole freaking tour (or am I getting crazy now)??

Eddies Wingman said:
I can mention that for Trondheim, the Trondheim Rock Festival is starting to get in some more bands. (This is in June, several weeks before Maiden, but it is TRF who are promoting the Maiden show as well). Among several names are Judas Priest - I must seriously consider seeing them as well.

Sounds good!

Priest plays on Graspop in Belgium, and Maiden also play there. But I bet that they'll play on different days. Perhaps there will be another possibility to see Priest (perhaps Fields of Rock?), but who knows I still might be crazy enough to go to Graspop as well (perhaps even for Maiden only).

AVENGED SEVENFOLD join Maiden for Twickenham stadium and other European shows
Published: January 24, 2008

IRON MAIDEN are very pleased to announce that AVENGED SEVENFOLD will join them as SPECIAL GUESTS at Twickenham Stadium on July 5, Paris Bercy July 2 and 3 and a number of dates in Finland and Scandanavia (as listed below) on their "SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME WORLD TOUR".

Following the mighty success of their recent album, "Avenged Sevenfold" (which charted at No 3 in Billboard in the USA and is close to gold in the UK), the band are currently on an extensive sold out UK tour and vocalist M.Shadows comments -
" I've seen Maiden play countless times and am continually blown away, not just by their live show, but also by the great records they continue to make.  We have learned much from Iron Maiden and are honored to be sharing the stage with some of the greatest ICONS in rock music."

Maiden Manager Rod Smallwood comments: "Its a tremendous time for metal fans right now with some fantastic young bands making a real mark for themselves. Maiden are delighted to be bringing their fans one of the very best, Avenged Sevenfold, who will be joining them on a number of their European Summer shows. It all adds up to an even more memorable night out for the fans! We will now be considering who will play in the slot before Avenged at Twickenham"

For more information on Ax7 go to their website at www.avengedsevenfold.com

The dates on which Ax7 special guest with Maiden are as follows -

JUNE
Fri 27 - ITA, Bologna Parco Nord Gods of Metal 
Sun 29 - BEL, Dessel Graspop

JULY
Tue 1 - FRA, Paris Palais Omnisports de Bercy                                 
Wed 2 - FRA, Paris Palais Omnisports de Bercy                                 
Sat 5 - ENG, London Twickenham
Wed 16 - SWE, Stockholm Stadium                       
Fri 18 - FIN, Helsinki Olympic Stadium                 
Sat 19 - FIN, Tampere Ratina Stadium
Tue 22 - NOR, Trondheim Lerkendalstadium 
Thu 24 - NOR, Oslo Valle Hovin                           
Sat 26 - SWE, Gothenburg Ullevi
Sun 27 - DEN, Horsens Gods Bane Pladsen

avenged7.jpg

Damn.  I was hoping for something a bit more familiar.  I've never listened to Avenged Sevenfold, but aren't they a metalcore band?

Ah well, there's still the chance for another opener...

Invader, you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! I guarantee it. A7F is probably the best metal band to come out of the US since Megadeth. Their influence is primarily british heavy metal and especially Iron Maiden. You should pick up a couple of their albums before seeing them this summer. City of Evil is their best. I am just praying that they will do some gigs in America with them as well. Trust me, you will be impressed.

Forget the Maiden influences please. A comparison, too rediculous for words.

About the capacity of the Maiden gig in Holland, the official site says 30.000, so probably the 60.000 seats won't be available.

Forostar

I have just been on the official Twickenham site, and it says the (and I stress this word) estimated attendance is 55,000.

I am from the UK and really want to go as I've never seen them before so checking for details today. Tickets seem to be between £50 and £150.

Anyone else on here going, UK or non-UK people?

£50?  That's expensive, I paid 60 euros for mine, which is only about £45.  And 150?  Insane.  And the gig I'm going to (Helsinki Olympic Stadium) isn't exactly small either, with 42,000 tickets sold.

What exactly is special about Twickenham, by the way?  Is it just a big stadium, or is there more to it?

A huge rugby venue, not often used if I remember well. Only for special and big occasions.

I'm pretty sure I thought Albie and/or others talked about this venue in this very topic. Perhaps some pages back(?)

Invader said:
£50?  That's expensive, I paid 60 euros for mine, which is only about £45.  And 150?  Insane.  And the gig I'm going to (Helsinki Olympic Stadium) isn't exactly small either, with 42,000 tickets sold.

What exactly is special about Twickenham, by the way?  Is it just a big stadium, or is there more to it?

Its a famous rugby stadium, on par with Wembley and the like.

I wish they played further up north, I can't go because I won't have enough money to afford a hotel room and the train ticket.

EDIT:
Deano said:
Invader, you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! I guarantee it. A7F is probably the best metal band to come out of the US since Megadeth. Their influence is primarily british heavy metal and especially Iron Maiden. You should pick up a couple of their albums before seeing them this summer. City of Evil is their best. I am just praying that they will do some gigs in America with them as well. Trust me, you will be impressed.

Hmm, well, I dont think theyre THAT great. Megadeth the last good metal band to come out of America? I think not. There's been plenty since, I mean we're talking over two decades ago here.
All in my opinion this, but I personally find "A7X" to be another mediocre metalcore band, but then, I dont really like metalcore at all, so that doesnt mean much. Nu-metal and metalcore are not really metal in my opinion, metalcore has more in common with punk than it does metal and I find it to be mis-named. Although I do like punk, this "heavier" punk is not anything amazing for me. Nu-metal, on the other hand, is a bit of an interesting one. Again, I don't really consider this metal either, but I have trouble placing it. I suppose its in between rock and metal really, in a similar vein to hard rock. I don't mind a bit of nu-metal, actually, but there is a lot of rubbish out there (just like any genre, really).

Anyway, I recommend anyone who has not heard A7X to go in with an open mind really, because at the very least you won't be disappointed. I did this with Trivium and although I still didn't really "feel" it with them, I didn't have a bad time either. However, if you don't like metalcore, then you should know what you're in for.

Good point about A7X, Ardius - don't decide before you go that the opening band are crap, and don't build too high expectations either. Just take it as it is, a band which is there to get the audience going a little before the real thing hits the stage. I had listened to a couple of Trivium songs before going to the 2006 concert in Bergen and thought it was quite OK but nothing to run down the record stores for - but it worked as something to have a couple of beers to.

(But Matt Hetf ... eh, Heafy should perhaps stop trying to be James Hetfield  :))

You say you can't go - I hope for your part that doesn't mean you don't get to see Maiden at all on this tour? Further up north, do you mean as in central London or do you think more like Donington? (Isn't that just southeast of Birmingham?)

Iron Maiden will headline the main stage of Sziget festival on August 12 in Budapest, Hungary.

Eddies Wingman said:
Good point about A7X, Ardius - don't decide before you go that the opening band are crap, and don't build too high expectations either. Just take it as it is, a band which is there to get the audience going a little before the real thing hits the stage. I had listened to a couple of Trivium songs before going to the 2006 concert in Bergen and thought it was quite OK but nothing to run down the record stores for - but it worked as something to have a couple of beers to.

(But Matt Hetf ... eh, Heafy should perhaps stop trying to be James Hetfield  :))

You say you can't go - I hope for your part that doesn't mean you don't get to see Maiden at all on this tour? Further up north, do you mean as in central London or do you think more like Donington? (Isn't that just southeast of Birmingham?)

Yes, it means I cant see it. I have no regrets about it though, because I know I cant do anything about it.
Oh, and I mean up north as in really up north. I live in Manchester. Birmingham is not north, lol.

Ardius said:
Yes, it means I cant see it. I have no regrets about it though, because I know I cant do anything about it.
Oh, and I mean up north as in really up north. I live in Manchester. Birmingham is not north, lol.

Ah, I see. But I guess it is likely they will announce more shows in England in the autumn? Perhaps closer to Christmas? How about a show in Manchester on Christmas Eve? I guess Maiden won't let down their "home fans" in England.

Btw, when I mentioned Birmingham I thought north of London - I'm well aware that Birmingham is Midlands. Actually I and my father spent a week in England last summer, driving around looking at aeroplanes (First the "Flying Legends" air show at Duxford south of Cambridge, then we visited the Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden, then to the RAF museum in Cosford and finally the Fleet Air Arm museum in Yeovilton. On our way from Cosford to Yeovilton we drove through Wales. Crap, that language is weird!). The point is, I read a good deal of road maps during that week  :)

Also, because of my interest in English football I've also got a dose of English geography. I think I would be able to mark all the major cities in England on a map B)

I hope for you and the rest of the Maiden fans in the NW that the boys find time for some gigs up north.

Back