Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

Jeffmetal said:
As long as it's not a heavy burden as AMOLAD, it'll be fantastic. The Final Frontier is shaping up as a great album. There's not much hype about it as it was with AMOLAD and that's a great thing - specially those Bruce and Nicko statements of "this is the best record since Piece Of Mind".

Actually, they were quite right. AMOLAD is my favorite album.

I haven't read any interviews about the new album yet though, the band seems focused on the tour.  I'm sure once they do start doing album specific interviews we'll get some "best album ever" or "strongest album since 84" sound bites.

2 months to go, can't wait!

Jeffmetal said:
As long as it's not a heavy burden as AMOLAD, it'll be fantastic. The Final Frontier is shaping up as a great album. There's not much hype about it as it was with AMOLAD and that's a great thing - specially those Bruce and Nicko statements of "this is the best record since Piece Of Mind".

In fact they were wrong. To me, 'A Matter Of Life And Death' is yet better than 'Piece of Mind' and any other 80's album at that.

Holy shit, hey Cosmiceddie!

Jeffmetal said:
I could swear I read somewhere that Steve said TFF will sound completely different than AMOLAD.

David_Michael_Murray said:
Actually, they were quite right. AMOLAD is my favorite album.

Same here. Jeffmetal just enjoys taking shots at AMOLAD apparently, so take what he says with a grain of salt.

Suicidehummer said:
Same here. Jeffmetal just enjoys taking shots at AMOLAD apparently, so take what he says with a grain of salt.

Are you trying to put me down on this forum or what?! I have the right to say it's the weakest Maiden album just as you and others praise it exaggerately better than Piece Of Mind, Killers, The X Factor or Brave New World (even though, I find it superb 'cos it shows how strong the band is and that more and more material and tours will come to us!).

Are you gonna do what? Put up a league to hunt down those who don't like AMOLAD? :stupid: Who's got an opinion doesn't need to worry about what others say.

Steve said that TFF is a completely different of AMOLAD, except for partnership composers.

That's right. Even if Jeffmetal is wrong, he is perfectly entitled to do so. Be polite when criticising others opinions, and understand that you can't really change them.

On Rockline, Monday 7th. There's a download link to the whole interview on this thread, brought by MadMax.

Donner said:
I think I'm the only person in the universe who feels Bruce sounds fine on this track.  The verses don't call out for crazy high notes, and while he has a tinge of strain in the prechorus and choruses it's nowhere to the degree of, say, Lord of Light where he was singing on edge pretty much the entire time.

Mostly the vocal is just bare bones dry.  When they double track him on the chorus it's much fuller.  A weeeeee little bit of reverb wouldn't have screwed the pooch there Kev, much as that stuff isn't your normal tact.
Cosmiceddie said:
In fact they were wrong. To me, 'A Matter Of Life And Death' is yet better than 'Piece of Mind' and any other 80's album at that.

That might be a little bold, but I applaud your thinking!!!  It's at least their best since Somewhere In Time to me...and it would sidle up nicely with their best of the best IMO as well.  I do like about 4 or 5 other albums a bit more, but it's right there.

A friend of mine is just getting into IM (thanks to yours trully...hold the applause) and I've burned a bunch of discs for him just to preview and so far AMOLAD is his favorite and the one he's gone out and bought on his own first.  So you never know!!

I think Shirley just got carried away with trying to master it, because everyone sounds isolated except the guitars, which sound mashed together. They should have gone the route of AMOLAD and not mastered it at all, because that turned out to have some of the best production of any Maiden album IMHO.

I find it hard to believe anyone with the gift of hearing would find AMOLAD better than piece of mind.  Please stop now.  I love AMOLAD but it is nowhere close to Piece of mind as a metal album.  If AMOLAD had come out in the early 80's, following up Numbers and killers, Maiden would not be the band they are today.  That string of albums, Killers through Powerslave, are the greatest Maiden albums, with Seventh Son trailing by a hair in fifth.  Yes that is my opinion, but it is almost fact, and believing any of the past decade and 1/2 s albums match Piece is completely lame to me.  It may also be a case of POM being played out to you or something.  It is far superior to AMOLAD and anything else post 90'. Yes we've all heard the Trooper, sun and steel revelations etc. a million times.  But think about when they were new!  No comparison fellas............

1. Satellite 15.....The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris) 8:40
2. El Dorado (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6:49
3. Mother Of Mercy (Smith/Harris) 5:20
4. Coming Home (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 5:52
5. The Alchemist (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) 4:29
6. Isle Of Avalon (Smith/Harris) 9:06
7. Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7:48
8. The Talisman (Gers/Harris) 9:03
9. The Man Who Would Be King (Murray/Harris) 8:28
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (Harris) 10:59

http://www.mega-media.nl/react.php?id=9141

Where did you get the composers credits? Is that official?

Now, I saw the link! :D Thanx a lot, man! :rocker:

bornless1 said:
  I find it hard to believe anyone with the gift of hearing would find AMOLAD better than piece of mind.  Please stop now.  I love AMOLAD but it is nowhere close to Piece of mind as a metal album.  If AMOLAD had come out in the early 80's, following up Numbers and killers, Maiden would not be the band they are today.  That string of albums, Killers through Powerslave, are the greatest Maiden albums, with Seventh Son trailing by a hair in fifth.  Yes that is my opinion, but it is almost fact, and believing any of the past decade and 1/2 s albums match Piece is completely lame to me.  It may also be a case of POM being played out to you or something.  It is far superior to AMOLAD and anything else post 90'. Yes we've all heard the Trooper, sun and steel revelations etc. a million times.  But think about when they were new!  No comparison fellas............
IMO, the MAIN reason Maiden are so popular is because of Bruce's vocals and AMOLAD has an AMAZING vocal performance and for that reason, would have done just as good in the 80's as their other albums did.

1. Satellite 15.....The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris) 8:40
2. El Dorado (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6:49
3. Mother Of Mercy (Smith/Harris) 5:20
4. Coming Home (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 5:52
5. The Alchemist (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) 4:29
6. Isle Of Avalon (Smith/Harris) 9:06
7. Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7:48
8. The Talisman (Gers/Harris) 9:03
9. The Man Who Would Be King (Murray/Harris) 8:28
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (Harris) 10:59

If that is indeed real, well then I'm a happy man.

Too bad, I'm looking for more Gers material. DOD, Paschen-Fucking-Dale...  ::)

pilau said:
Too bad, I'm looking for more Gers material. DOD, Paschen-Fucking-Dale...  ::)

Pashendale was Adrian, not gers.

mozzle said:
Pashendale was Adrian, not gers.
I stand corrected. Although I still stand behind my point that Jan is a great songwriter, with many great numbers on BNW, DOD and AMOLAD.

Back