Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

Jeffmetal said:
I can't see much of that, but as Lord Of The Flies is fantastic, it's a good 'reference'.

In the song structure, I mainly thought of the fact we don't get the real chorus before a while, getting it 2 times, the second time longer.
Anyway, I probably won't get a single person on my side. I just wrote down my thought.

David_Michael_Murray said:
El Dorado reminds me a lot of Lord of the Flies. Same song structure IMO and the chorus has a lot of similarities (I'm considering Bruce's version which is an octave higher than the original). Anyone with me?
In both cases, the song is definitely a grower.
For me, all the Blaze songs Bruce has sung live on: Bruce on vocals>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blaze on vocals. Oh how I want to hear Blood On The World's Hands and Lightning Strikes Twice with Bruce SO BADLY!

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
For me, all the Blaze songs Bruce has sung live on: Bruce on vocals>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blaze on vocals. Oh how I want to hear Blood On The World's Hands and Lightning Strikes Twice with Bruce SO BADLY!

Bruce has that magic touch in his voice that makes great awesome. I'd love to hear The Aftermath with Bruce and getting him to sing the ''After the war..'' part an octave higher like he did on LotF.

Will-I-Am said:
I think he was meaning the singles of AMOLAD & DOD, Loosey; Different World & Wildest Dreams, even maybe Breeg...
I was talking about the artworks... :blush:
AMOLAD is a really solid album while DOD has its strong tunes too!

No kiddin' Jeff. Flight of Icarus man. The solos? forgettaboutit!!  The best ever. Face melting stuff man.  I am anticipating more of the old school 80's stuff here on Final Frontier.  The fellas seem to realize we want some piece of mind/number of the beast quality a$$ kicking metal again. I am feeling that with El Dorado.  Who gives a shi&  what the  neighbors think Rock and Fuc%in roll heavy metal. I will be bangin my head all fuc8in night Saturday in San bernardino.  Up the Irons Brotha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bornless1 said:
The fellas seem to realize we want some piece of mind/number of the beast quality a$$ kicking metal again.
I feel they gave us exactly that on BNW and DOD.

Donner said:
I'm very curious why they picked this song of all of them to release first though.  There are 3 shorter and presumably more typical single like rocker tunes, and a whole lot of more epic tracks.
I was thinking that at first as well, but when you think about the way Maiden have been presenting themselves lately it kinda makes sense. Wicker Man, Wildest Dreams, and Different World have all been in the same vein as the classic all-out rockers we all know and love. That's all fine and good but, when you get to the real meat of the albums, the true standout tracks have always been the more 'epic', longer songs. Hell, when you put Different World next to almost any other song on AMoLaD, it almost seems like they just threw a short song on there because many of us would throw a fit if there weren't one. Imho, by the way.

Now compare that to the Maiden of 2010. Brief spoilers about the ongoing tour tagged to protect the innocent.
Maiden goes on a tour where all but 4 or 5 songs (depending on the night) were from post-reunion albums, besides Fear of the Dark from '92.
All the information teased in interviews hypes up how proggy Final Frontier is gonna be, how they feel challenged to one-up themselves after AMoLad, etc. (not exact quotes, but I think you get the general idea). Then June rolls around, we all crash Maiden's servers to download what most of us (probably) expected to be Wicker Man/Wildest Dreams/Different World part 2, and got something unexpected: something completely different.

Now come August I may be proven to be completely full of shit, but I think they put out El Dorado rather than one of the shorter tracks specifically because of how atypical it is compared to their previous singles (and most of their other songs in general, now that I think about it). The intention theoretically being that they want to get it in our heads that the album is atypical in and and of itself. They've been hyping up how progtastic and different this album is supposed to be, what would be the point of throwing another trademark rocker at us? Maybe they want to save those shorter tracks for when you buy the album/see them on tour because Maiden thinks they have something special on their hands this time around, rather than the obligatory epics and potential singles.

It's all the blindest of speculation, but I'm thinking we're gonna be in for a very interesting and far different album than what we've been expecting.

Good call on Different World feeling almost out of place on AMOLD, good song, but not really having the same vibe as the rest of the record.  

I can't get El Dorado's verse out of my head, so for me it definately has a good hook to it.  While the verses certainly cannot be called melodic, they do a great job of painting the picture of the story being told.  The more I listen to it the more I like it and it's the little things that you pick up that make it keep growing on me.  The previously mentioned guitar flourises 'round the 2:17 mark, the slide down the neck to end the third solo, Steve's entrance into the song that reminds me of his entrance into Breeg, etc.

Looking at the post reunion album covers I'd order 'em as such:
AMOLaD
Final Frontier
BNW
DOD

If you look only at the Album cover's Eddies I'd have to reorder it to:
DoD
Final Frontier
AMOLaD
BNW

I think I'm the only person in the universe who feels Bruce sounds fine on this track.  The verses don't call out for crazy high notes, and while he has a tinge of strain in the prechorus and choruses it's nowhere to the degree of, say, Lord of Light where he was singing on edge pretty much the entire time.

Actually, Donner, I also think that Brucie sounds perfect on El Dorado. It makes a lot of sense when you consider the character he's portraying. A manipulative conman, sting operation mastermind - distant, tough, calculated and smart. He's not going to play sensitive on you - he's going to be damn stone cold. In the chorus though, Bruce had to opt for a more vibrant voice, after all, that's the chorus, it has to be catchy and moving!

@Dominocracy: You should also consider this; Perhaps, and this is just my opinion, Maiden had known that this single is going to not only excite people with the fact of them releasing a new single and album after 4 years, but also stir such a debate that it's going to keep them on the spotlight for two months!

We've been discussing, debating, arguing and analyzing this song since the moment it was released to the public. Perhaps Maiden had already realized we'll be doing this because this single is so unique with all it's quirks and new and old and what not, so they decided to release this one because they had known it would turn out as controversial among fans.

pilau said:
Actually, Donner, I also think that Brucie sounds perfect on El Dorado. It makes a lot of sense when you consider the character he's portraying. A manipulative conman, sting operation mastermind - distant, tough, calculated and smart. He's not going to play sensitive on you - he's going to be damn stone cold. In the chorus though, Bruce had to opt for a more vibrant voice, after all, that's the chorus, it has to be catchy and moving!

I agree.  And different songs will have different dynamics.  Those worried about his voice need only listen to this song live.

I just keeping reading comments, not necessarily here mind you, that he sounds bored or tired and I just don't hear it.  It's very much a character song as pilau pointed out.  I'm not sure a regular Bruce vocal track would have fit whatsoever. 

2 months until the new album!

Hmmm, while I think the mix is somewhat atypical, I never thought Bruce sounded tired, bored, or anything other than on top of his game and it definately sounds like the reports for the live shows back that up.

pilau said:
@Dominocracy: You should also consider this; Perhaps, and this is just my opinion, Maiden had known that this single is going to not only excite people with the fact of them releasing a new single and album after 4 years, but also stir such a debate that it's going to keep them on the spotlight for two months!

We've been discussing, debating, arguing and analyzing this song since the moment it was released to the public. Perhaps Maiden had already realized we'll be doing this because this single is so unique with all it's quirks and new and old and what not, so they decided to release this one because they had known it would turn out as controversial among fans.
Hah, good point!

Dominocracy said:
Hah, good point!
eddie_63-1.jpg

picture1be.png

I absolutely LOVE it when Bruce sings 'I'm the jester with no tears, and I'm playing on your fears!'.

Janick did an interview on a radio station in Arizona and Jeffmetal heard it. Here is what he reported:
Jeffmetal said:
Janick is on! Said that El Dorado isn't representative of the album. It's a very varied and HEAVY album.

ThorSkaagi said:
I absolutely LOVE it when Bruce sings 'I'm the jester with no tears, and I'm playing on your fears!'.
Ya, same here.

Heavy in what way? Musical wise, emotional wise, lyrics wise, hell - perhaps he was talking about weight?  :bigsmile:

As long as it's not a heavy burden as AMOLAD, it'll be fantastic. The Final Frontier is shaping up as a great album. There's not much hype about it as it was with AMOLAD and that's a great thing - specially those Bruce and Nicko statements of "this is the best record since Piece Of Mind".

Back