Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

Rockline replay of Maiden interview is available - http://rocklineradio.com/replay/replay.php

Steve said the album, although written mainly by Adrian/himself/Bruce, and then himself with Janick like on AMOLAD, sounds totally different from AMOLAD and there's really lots of tempo changes and mood changes this time around.

After almost 24 hours of continual El Dorado listenage I find the song very exciting.  I am relieved with the retention of the AMOLAD heaviness and that El Dorado has a long build up until the chorus....kinda shows the band values the entire song as much as the refrain.  I enjoy the pre-chorus more and more - the three guitars are very clear.  It has reminded me of songs from just about every Iron Maiden album...some NOTB, Killers, SSOASS, NPFD, VXI, SIT...the power chords are kind of XF.  My thoughts are that El Dorado may be the uptempo "opener" to TFF in the way that Man On The Edge was to X Factor, following on from an epic, brooding opener.  It's good to hear the boys again...

To those not thrilled by El Dorado, have patience.  The song will sink in and become classic Maiden in time...I remember when Seventh Son was first released I was initially disappointed ...silly me.

Okay, I spent the day listening to the new track on a better sound system than my first listens late last night (on my laptop), and my opinion has drastically changed.

I liked the "sound" last night but couldn't get over Bruce sounding like he was on a different layer of audio than everyone else (almost like we were listening to the song played in the background as he recorded his vocals).

But on a better sound system, I'm pleased to report that the song sounded much better and everything "blended" together (vocals and music) much better.

Now to burn it on a CD and listen to it on my main stereo...cranked up to 11!   :okok:

Agreed, Bruce sounded better through better speakers.

My nit I guess has to be the strange structure of the song. I don't like the intro or ending, they detract from the song IMO. And then it seems like forever until the chorus (what with two verses before it) and of course the three solos in a row is a little strange. Maybe I''ll learn to like it...

Suicidehummer said:
Agreed, Bruce sounded better through better speakers.

My nit I guess has to be the strange structure of the song. I don't like the intro or ending, they detract from the song IMO. And then it seems like forever until the chorus (what with two verses before it) and of course the three solos in a row is a little strange. Maybe I''ll learn to like it...
Ya, the intro and ending parts are quite different for Maiden and I actually love them and give Maiden credit for trying something different like that. I actually consider the second parts of each verse to be sort of a pre-chorus to the main chorus. I like how it builds up. First, Bruce sings in a lower, non-belting it out style, then in the pre-chorus, he goes up a bit, and then he just lets loose in the main chorus. That's one of the things I really love about Maiden. The way they build up their songs. Usually, they're in the intros like Hallowed, Heaven Can Wait, Ghost Of The Navigator, Paschendale, The Longest Day, and so on, but this time, they're sort of putting that into the main song itself. Damn! Just writing this and thinking of the new song SO BADLY makes me want to hear the rest of the album! I REALLY hope they surprise us on the tour and do 1 or 2 more new songs! WAYYYYY WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY UP THE FUCKIN' IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My take on the lyrics' parts that were incomplete:

El Dorado (Unoffcial Lyrics)

Gotta tell you a story, on a cold winter's night
You'll be sailing for glory before you know what is right
So come over here now, I've got a vision for you
It's my personal snake coil, it's just something I do

I'm the jester with no tears and I'm playing on your fears
I'm a trickster smiling underneath this mask of love and death
The eternal lie I've told about the pyramids of gold
I've got you hooked at every turn - Your mind is left to burn!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

You'll be wanting a contract, ah! You'll be waiting a while
I'd like to give you my contact, but that isn't my style
Well, you only get one chance and it's too good to miss
If I didn't lie to ya then I wouldn't exist

Greed, lust and envied pride - It's the same old same old way
The smoke and mirror's visions that you see are just like me
I'm a clever banker's face with just a letter out of place
I know someone just like you know someone just like me

Chorus:
El Dorado - Come and play
El Dorado - Step this way
Take a ticket for the ride

El Dorado - Streets of gold
See the ship it's oversold
You've got one last chance to try

So gone is the glory and gone is the gold
Well, if you need a story how come it has to be told?
Well, you can say I'm a Devil and I wouldn't say no
But out here on the dark side...Hey! On with the show!

So now my tale is told, big and bad and twice as bold
Their ship of fools is sinking as their cracks begin to grow
There is no easy way for an honest man today
Which is something you should think of as my life boat sails away

Chorus:

fonzbear2000 said:
Ya, the intro and ending parts are quite different for Maiden and I actually love them and give Maiden credit for trying something different like that. I actually consider the second parts of each verse to be sort of a pre-chorus to the main chorus. I like how it builds up. First, Bruce sings in a lower, non-belting it out style, then in the pre-chorus, he goes up a bit, and then he just lets loose in the main chorus. That's one of the things I really love about Maiden. The way they build up their songs. Usually, they're in the intros like Hallowed, Heaven Can Wait, Ghost Of The Navigator, Paschendale, The Longest Day, and so on, but this time, they're sort of putting that into the main song itself. Damn! Just writing this and thinking of the new song SO BADLY makes me want to hear the rest of the album! I REALLY hope they surprise us on the tour and do 1 or 2 more new songs! WAYYYYY WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY UP THE FUCKIN' IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will play just one song.They said it somewhere.....

Its only me or during the instrumental part theres a  piece of mind-to tame a land feeling? .The song is not one of the best iron maiden song,but at least is iron maiden,and i give the song a 6,5.For me is ok.And yes Bruce sounds better in better speakers,but he is getting old and his voice too.BUT HE is still better thant 99% of singers right now

Invader said:
If you find it's tiresome to hear people praise and discuss music that they like, then perhaps this forum is not the best place for you.  Maybe you can start your own blog or something where you can diss fanboiz and new Maiden.  Go on, we won't miss you.

I'm 100% with the Finn on this.

Regards,
Fanboi EW (hell, I even like The X Factor)

The 3 shortest songs are grouped together. Why do you think that is? Wouldn't you want to go short song long song short song, and so on.

Is it a concept album? Why would the track listing be sorted that way? Not that it's a bad thing, just sort of seems unbalanced.

Thoughts?

They did the same on the previous album, which ends with four songs all longer than 7 minutes. Personally, I don't care too much about whether they group long songs together or not, what is important is that the album as a whole flows well. Putting a short song in between two long ones doesn't necessarily improve that.

Take Dance of Death, for example. Where would you rather have the track Rainmaker? As number two (where it is actually located) or between Paschendale and Face In The Sand? Or would you like to have Aces High placed right before Rime of the Ancient Mariner, right between the two longest songs on the Powerslave album?

I'm sure 'Arry and Kevin Shirley have stacked the songs together with that in mind, not caring so much about the length of each individual song, but rather caring for how the ending of one song fits the beginning of the next one.

Final verdict after substantial listening - the song is a 6/10, maaaaybe 7/10 if in a mood to rock, but DEF not higher!

The riff is killer, and the solo part is great, but that's just about the only things that shines with this song. The rest is average at best - vocal melody in the verses sounds rather uninspired, the pre-chorus doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the song, the chorus isn't catchy enough and Dickinson doesn't pull of a very great performance here.

Eldorado is a pretty average song even by modern Maiden standards.  I'm not even gonna bother comparing it to 80's Maiden, since it would hardly qualify even as filler material on discs such as Piece of Mind or The Number of the Beast - yes, HELL yes, - Gangland is a much better tune. Have you HEARD the bass and drum work on that one? Have you HEARD Dickinson's singing on it? The sheer energy of the performance? You seriously telling me Eldorado is even HALF as rocking? Get the hell outta here!

Play Classics! said:
I'm not even gonna bother comparing it to 80's Maiden ..

*skips comparison with 80s material*

Sure, I see that.

Play Classics! said:
Blah blah...Get the hell outta here!

I would echo your last sentence with regards to you, and not because I have a different opinion than you, but because you clearly can not respect the opinions of others.

This forum has a long tradition of enjoying and accepting all of the Maiden catalogue, and many people on this forum consider The X Factor and AMOLAD some of the best albums of Maiden.  If you can't accept that, then, like I said, this forum might not be the place for you.

Well, in fact, I find Gangland quite boring. Bruce's screaming, boring drum work, boring riffs, too simple, drags on without a change... In fact, the most interesting part is first ten seconds. Maybe, I am a cloth-eared nincompoop, but I find El Dorado a bit better - better atmosphere, more musically interesting, but still, I hope there will be better pieces on the new album. Sad to say this, but Bruce does not sound very well on El Dorado, I mean in the parts where he goes for high notes. I have a bad feeling about this :)

Invader said:
I would echo your last sentence with regards to you, and not because I have a different opinion than you, but because you clearly can not respect the opinions of others.

This forum has a long tradition of enjoying and accepting all of the Maiden catalogue, and many people on this forum consider The X Factor and AMOLAD some of the best albums of Maiden.  If you can't accept that, then, like I said, this forum might not be the place for you.

Right, so if you are so wonderfully tolerant around here, you surely shouldn't have a problem with my strong opinions, should you?

No, we don't. Except for the part of those opinions that labels everyone who likes "non-classic" Maiden songs as fanboys.

Well, strong opinion and rude behaviour are two different things :) "Get the hell outta here!" does not look like strong opinion, but rather like a rude behaviour :)

Rude behaviour can be reported to the Mods or has already been dealt with. Chill out, everyone.

When I received the Maiden newsletter yesterday, I was at work. I immediately tried to access the site and download the file, but it took a few attempts - then I e-mailed the song to myself so I could listen to it on my iPhone. I closed my eyes and sat down under headphones, turned it way up and off it went. But after a minute or so I just had to stand up and walk around, and there were parts where I actually couldn't hold myself back from laughing out loud! It was a great experience. I guess I had not expected this kind of song, like so many others.

I share a lot of the impressions of other people here: the song feels more classic, 80s-like to me too, but with some modern Maiden flair included. I also think the comparison to Bruce's solo stuff is justified, but you can clearly hear the difference in the music!

Kicking off with the intro, I didn't really know what to make of that first, but by now I feel that this could very well be a great opener, not just for live, but for the album as well (which it won't be, but still). Maybe there's more to it than just "let's do an intro/outro this time"! The 8-minute title track might be some sort of epic introduction to the album which is then followed by this straightforward rocker, which would work pretty well too IMO.
The gallopping bass reminds me a lot of earlier Maiden stuff. The drums kick in hard, but Nicko's playing, while being straighter than usual, is still good old Maiden drumming. Nothing has changed here, but the guitars playing this "daa-daa-da-da" riff (that reminds me of three other songs) is kind of fresh, since they didn't do that a lot on previous records. Bruce's singing has been compared here to "Confeos" and "Book of Thel"; I couldn't agree more. But I like it! I like the lyrics (thanks to everyone for writing them down and improving them) and they flow well with the style of his vocal lines and the music. The song simply builds up suspension and momentum until it blows up in the chorus, where they doubled Bruce's voice giving it that thick, slightly artificial sound (maybe that's what people keep pointing out here about the strange-sounding vocals). And they actually make us wait for the first chorus until the 2:55 mark, dropping after the pre-chorus back into the verse the first time around. Classic!

The sound of the song isn't that much different from AMOLAD and as an audio guy I'd say this has been played live, at least in part, just like the last album. It's also interesting how they keep that "live" feeling by never doing any "impossible" overdubs; there's always one voice, three guitars, and in the solo section every solo is played on the center/left/right side where the specific guitarist is supposed to be standing. I like it! I also like how Maiden still go against the industry by NOT popping up the volume to chart levels, keeping a very natural and dynamic sound to the record.

The solo section with the marching rhythm in the beginning is typically Maiden these days and it gives the song a break, pushing it out of the straight line it's otherwise going, but no tempo changes happening here! The solos themselves are great; not too much on the long-winded side but making up for that with all three guys getting screen time. I was blown away by the third solo because I never expected all three of them to make an appearance! When the song gets back on track with Nicko's hi-hat intro (where you can clearly hear it's played live and not one hit corrected for timing :bigsmile: ), the song builds up suspension again and it feels like it's only been four minutes when it's through, not almost seven!

Someone mentioned that El Dorado was more fun than the previous albums, which were a lot more serious and dark. I thought exactly the same after the first three or four spins, and I think it's about time Maiden tried something different in the line of what they did best back in the 80s. Actually I was hoping for an album that would go a little back to the roots and while it will never happen, this brighter side (that includes the single's cover art, great work!) is a welcome detour from the darker stuff, at least to me.
I also like the fact that the song keeps getting better the more you listen. I agree with some people's opinion that it's not THE Maiden song of all time, but as a single it's way better than the one-off numbers like "Different World" because it has so many more details to offer, yet it's easier to get into and just more fun than "Benjamin Breeg" and the like.

By the way, I've recorded and uploaded the Steve and Janick radio interview for keeps here (minus songs). In case it's taken down sometime in the future :)

Now it's time for me to get back into the rehearsal room and jam along to this beautiful song!

Back