Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Perun said:
Anyway, here's some more classic You Know Who posting:

I have to admit, when I went back and looked at what Mav actually posted, I was a bit shocked. It was even meaner than what I remembered.

SinisterMinisterX said:
There are only a few of us left who still, by force of habit, get a headache when we hear the phrase "Goddess of Time".

Not to mention when somebody says they need to sleep.

Perun said:
What did I do?  :huh:

Oops I meant LC, I typed that at the last second, and it doesn't help that I'm a very shit typer and find myself correcting my posts often, which is probably why I don't spend to much time in forums  :p And, quite frankly, I get mixed between the two of you at times.

Invader said:
I was a lurker on these forums for almost half a year before I joined.  I was terrified of He Who Must Not Be Named. 

Second that. Not quite half a year, but I was very cautious of posting anything or even joining. Funny how these things work out... o_O

Stan said:
You guys aren't talking about me, right? ...Man............

Not unless you have You Know Who sticking out of the back of your head. He can do that, you know. Possess people and stick out of the backs of their head.

WTWWB is an obvious early favorite, but "Coming Home" has grown on me in a big way lately. The chorus is just glorious.

LooseCannon said:
Not unless you have You Know Who sticking out of the back of your head. He can do that, you know. Possess people and stick out of the backs of their head.

I thought it was the gut, not the head:
kuato-in-total-recall.jpg

Good to see the commentary up already.  I'm approaching this album differently than AMOLAD.  First I'll get my own impressions on lyrics than I'll read Maverick's comments.

It astounds me how "short" this album feels, especially the epics on said album.  None of them feel 7-minute plus.  Sometimes, it feels like Mother of Mercy is the longest song on this album.  The Man Who Would Be King, Starblind, and Isle of Avalon seem to be over almost as soon as they started.

And that's a compliment, in case someone disagrees. :)

The album gets much more interesting and surprising with this track list:

1.Satellite15...The Final Frontier
2.El Dorado
3.The Talisman
4.The Man Who Would Be King
5.The Alchemist
6.Coming Home
7.Starblind
8.Isle Of Avalon
9.Mother Of Mercy
10.When The Wild Wind Blows

Jeffmetal said:
The album gets much more interesting and surprising with this track list:

1.Satellite15...The Final Frontier
2.El Dorado
3.The Talisman
4.The Alchemist
5.The Man Who Would Be King
6.Coming Home
7.Starblind
8.Isle Of Avalon
9.Mother Of Mercy
10.When The Wild Wind Blows

How does order difference improve it?  :ninja:

I get how ordering the songs is essential in making an album work, but I'm curious as well how changing the original order to that makes the album more interesting and surprising aside from the fact that it's new/different.

valacirca said:
I get how ordering the songs is essential in making an album work, but I'm curious as well how changing the original order to that makes the album more interesting and surprising aside from the fact that it's new/different.

I get that.  I just wanted to know, why Jeffmetal's particular order works for him.

The order of songs usually doesn't matter to me because I end up playing songs that I'm in a mood for after I've gotten to know the entire album. Even with concept albums. For example, on Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, I might be in the mood for The Needle Lies.

Because the songs from Isle Of Avalon up to WTWWB are all epics and I think that mixing them with the other shorter songs makes you look to the album from an angle in which all the dynamics of the material comes clearer than on the album's original tracklist 'cos wanting it or not as great as it is, slow intros one after another gets tiring after some time, and bear in mind that the album flows fantastically in its original order.

Now, what does the age of an album has to do with changing the track list? :huh:

This would explain why I can't hardly sit through all of The X Factor, but I love to listen to the songs when they're interspersed with other material.  ;)
At this point, I'm still really into all of the TFF songs, so the other does not matter much except 'El Dorado' has to follow 'Satellite 15... Final Frontier' due to how they begin/end.

Back