Official Tennis thread

Damn Tsonga ! Too many unforced errors. He deserved a final just because of his massive comback against Federer, played good against Nole also but unforced errors finished the deal. He is my favorite tennis player so I'm really really disappointed.

One of the best tennis matches I've ever seen is currently being played. Djokovic-Nadal, incredible strength, incredible power, endless energy. Just wow  :rocker:

I just watched the last set and the last few games of the fourth, but that was enough to impress me. Both Djokivic and Nadal showed true fighting spirit. Not much spectacular play, but impressive attitude from both.

I really thought Djokovic was finished when Nadal made it 4-2. He seemed completely exhausted. That he managed to get back in it from there, is nothing short of fantastic. Congratulations to him.

Records all around today at SW19! Federer ties Sampras' seven Wimbledon titles and will have the most weeks at number one shortly, while Murray joins his coach Ivan Lendl in losing his first four major finals. I caught the end of the final - impressive play from both.

Radwanska did a great tournament as well. Vs Serena Williams she had some kind of infection, but she was the first tennis player from Poland who reached a grand slam final.

So, Nadal and Federer bow out early. Inspired match by Stakhovsky, apparently you can still win with serve and volley!

The lower half is wide open now. Murray must be happy.

The quarterfinal streak ends at 36 - nine years of making every GS quarter. I wonder if any other player even participated in all those tournaments.

Today we have 2 Polish men meeting each other in one of Wimbledon's quarter finals, which means that one will reach the semi final.
That is a first! Last time a Polish male came far in Wimbledon was in 1980 when Wojciech Fibak reached the quarter final.

Here some fragments of Fibak in action vs various legends (Guillermo Vilas, Yannick Noah, Björn Borg, John McEnroe):

Against a very strong opponent. I really thought Murray was not good enough for this guy but he still managed to turn it round. Let's see how tomorrow goes.

Verdasco was playing some pretty sweet tennis though. I only tuned in third set & thought Murray looked in quite a bit of trouble. But, an hour later we're in the fifth & Verdasco isn't hitting every ball quite as hard, or as well --& in the end a Murray win looked inevitable.

Here's hoping Del Potro has the game of his life & knocks out Djokovic in his semi, & Murray gets through his...

I think Murray will be beaten by Janowicz. It wouldn't be the first time. But Murray has a huge support from the crowd which will be a vital, mental factor against his opponent.

Murray won deservedly so. What a weird change... in the 3rd set Janowicz was 4-1 ahead and then all went bananas for him. Murray is mentally so strong. And that support from the stadium must give him something extra. I hope he'll beat Djokovic on Sunday.

I expected Del Potro to push Djokovic all the way and he certainly did. The Argie might be about twelve feet tall but he can still play! Having played five sets for more than four hours won't harm Djokovic at all though. He won the Australian Open last year in a marathon final after being pushed all the way by Murray in the semi-final. We could have one hell of a match on Sunday, provided that Murray doesn't let the pressure and expectation get to him.

Back