Official Star Wars Thread

I don't think they should have shown Rey and Luke's meeting, nothing they could have done would have met fan expectations. Personally I would've liked to have seen the film start with that beautiful transition from the stars to the light reflecting off the rocks on the island as Rey trains. That would've been "something entirely different".

Do we really need spoilers?

This reminded me of something I read this morning about some new Game of Thrones advertisements. People are up in arms because they show major events from previous episodes, stuff that happened years ago, but some people still haven't seen it so apparently it can't be shown until everyone in the entire world has caught up.

I've never seen Game of Thrones. Maybe I'll watch the upcoming prequel series 1st.

My son gave me season 1 last Christmas, and said if I liked it, he'd get me a season for my b-day, Father's Day, etc, and if I didn't, no big deal.

I watched season 1, and it was ok, but I didn't have any real interest in what happens next.

As long as I'm in the Star Wars thread, I'll stick in my two cent's worth.

Even though I have all the Star Wars movies, I don't consider myself a hardcore fan. I have an Imperial Stormtrooper action figure in my fort, but that's just because I've always thought they looked cool.

I will say this, though...Rey could kick (young) Luke Skywalker's ass all over the galaxy.

Rey has a warrior's mentality and kicked ass from the start, where Luke pretty much whines and complains through the first couple movies.

My son gave me season 1 last Christmas, and said if I liked it, he'd get me a season for my b-day, Father's Day, etc, and if I didn't, no big deal.

I watched season 1, and it was ok, but I didn't have any real interest in what happens next.

It's a slooooow burn, but worth it. Not as bad as Walking Dead which I gave up on after season 3. Mos def giving at least one more season a try.

Poe Dameron always seems to be a pair of aviators away from saying shit like "I was inverted" or "you can be my wingman any time"
Which is what I love about him. I feel like someone should do Poe Dameron's greatest hits to Danger Zone.

You know, I was veeeeeery sceptical about this when I saw the trailer, but this is actually pretty cool. Love to see a full series in this animation style.

Then I went on the internet and watched some review videos and was shocked by the vile hatred it got.
I liked the movie and was also pretty surprised by the intense hatred for it.

This may be strange place to quote Lars Ulrich but I remember one of his interviews where he said the bigger they became, it felt to him like he started to wore bigger target/bullseye on him or something between those line. And Star Wars is something like Beatles in film world - it's fan base is enourmous, spanning over billions of people and couple of decades. That being said, when you have a huge fanbase, you're going to have a huge base of haters too. Moreso, no matter what you do, some part is going to be unsatisfied. On the other hand, if you look close enough, you're going to find people that are praising current SW cast as something revolutionary.

Eh... what I wanted to say is: every SW I went to watch in cinema (Phantom Menace onwards) was hated in some form or another.

That is kinda what I was getting at. If they play it safe people will complain about lack of originality, if they don’t people will complain that it’s not direction they wanted the series to take. The backlash for TFA was significantly smaller than that of The Last Jedi, which makes me think they will play it safe going forward.

Eh... what I wanted to say is: every SW I went to watch in cinema (Phantom Menace onwards) was hated in some form or another.

Return of the Jedi is loved now, but at the time it got a lot of shit for those "stupid Ewoks." Nevermind that they kill and eat anything that moves lol.

When I was 15 and saw Episode I in theaters (over 10 times, only paid for it once though hehe) I loved it. Then I hated it. Now, after watching them again on Netflix... it's not AS bad as I remember it, Episode II is better than I remembered it, but not by much and Episode III is definitely better than I remember it and it's the one I enjoyed the most from the prequels upon original viewing.

For all three prequels, for me, the 2nd half of each film is better than the first half. Especially love the Battle of Geonosis at the end of II (the beginning of the Clone Wars)

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith have a lot to like, just hampered by piss poor dialogue and dated special effects. I haven't seen Phantom Menace in a looooong time, it could perhaps be the Star Wars film I've seen the fewest times, but I do commend it for "looking" more like a Star Wars film than II and III if that makes sense. Slightly less reliant on CG than the later two, though of course all of them suffer from not fitting perfectly with the original trilogy.

Something I sometimes think about; if it were announced that the prequels were going to be remade, with new actors, directors, updated effects but NO changes to the story, would you be interested?

No, as divisive as they are, I would not like them to be remade. Remaking any SW film to be would be heresy.

A more interesting question for me is what if Lucas had made the films in chronological order and Ep I were made 1st with technology where it was in 1977, what would it have looked like and would it have been well received?

Something I sometimes think about; if it were announced that the prequels were going to be remade, with new actors, directors, updated effects but NO changes to the story, would you be interested?

The story is my biggest gripe with those films, so no.

No, as divisive as they are, I would not like them to be remade. Remaking any SW film to be would be heresy.

A more interesting question for me is what if Lucas had made the films in chronological order and Ep I were made 1st with technology where it was in 1977, what would it have looked like and would it have been well received?

The story would have been fairly different, considering the whole midichlorian bullshit was due to Lucas being a born again Christian by the time he made the prequels.

Also instead of the big surprise being Vader being Luke's dad, if watched chronologically, the shock would be the events in the 2nd half of Ep III

Back