Official Star Trek Thread

SinisterMinisterX said:
Ooh, I just remembered another great one ... the TNG crew is stuck in a time loop that keeps repeating, and they have to find a way to send a signal into the next loop so they can get out of it. Then Fraser Krane shows up as a starship captain?!?

That's a really good one that keeps you at the edge of your seat... or at least it keeps me on the edge of my seat, even though I know how it ends.

That really was a great episode. One of my favourites. Also, Time's Arrow. I remember seeing the teaser with Data's fucking 500 year old head and wigging out.

I did, but hey. That's how it rolls.

Oh, and the one where they visited Wesley at the Academy and Tom Paris got some kid killed.

I don't know if I'd call that one great, but it was at least interesting. Wil Wheaton got to act like an adult for once.

I never understood why so many people disliked Wesley. Sure, not the most interesting character, but I've seen real hateful abuse directed that way, and I don't see why.

Basically his writing sucked for the first season, and as a result, people hated him. Wil's most recent book examines the first 13 episodes of TNG from his perspective (and very snarky and sarcastic), and he shows how poorly the character was written. I have it on PDF if you want to borrow it.

It's really a shame none of you speak German. There's a legendary German parody of a number of TNG episodes, including Darmok.

That is too bad indeed. Is it the sort of thing that's only funny in German?

For reference, I'm watching "The Way of the Warrior", the first episode of DS9 Season 4, when Worf is introduced. I'm really, really getting into DS9.

LooseCannon said:
That is too bad indeed. Is it the sort of thing that's only funny in German?

It is the sort of thing that is only funny when you see it. And when you have a really weird sense of humour (like me). And for some odd reason, it is one of the few things that actually gets funnier over time.

LooseCannon said:
Basically his writing sucked for the first season, and as a result, people hated him. Wil's most recent book examines the first 13 episodes of TNG from his perspective (and very snarky and sarcastic), and he shows how poorly the character was written. I have it on PDF if you want to borrow it.
I would like to borrow it, if that's okay.

@SMX - Thanks for reminding me of Cause and Effect, it's been years since I've watched TNG, I'm gonna start it off with this episode.

A few months ago I started watching Voyager again because it was showing on TV at the time, and that prompted me to rewatch DS9 - the show is just miles and miles above Voyager in every aspect, particularly the incredibly deep characters and the interesting stories.

gulranek said:
I would like to borrow it, if that's okay.

Sure, email me at my gmail in my profile.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Holodeck episodes.

I like the Moriarty episodes. Beyond that? Yeah, I agree. However, the DS9 holodeck episodes are quite good.

Finally getting to sit down and watch Khan.  First introduction for my girls.  Damn, this is a great flick, from start to finish.  Amazing how it is so much better than 'The Motion Picture'.... a 180 degree swing. 

TMP was hampered by bad writing and costume design, and really bad direction. The special effects were great for the time, but uncut, as the studio didn't want to spend time editing the effects. So it really didn't work. Khan is much better, one of the best ST movies.

I am almost done Season 5 of DS9 - amazing how well it is coming together. The many repeating storylines flow fairly well, but I still find most of the individual episodes on average to be weaker than individual TNG episodes. That doesn't mean there haven't been amazing episodes - the Ferengi ones especially are great with 1 or 2 huge stinkers - but overall, they are funny and serious reflections of our society.

Back