Official MLB baseball thread.

Wasted CLV said:
I think that is one thing that the Braves had been good at, and you are right, you don't see a lot of that 'small ball, base running' that used to keep a defense on its toes. 

The Braves are good at that, so are the Twins, and I think it is a main reason the Rangers are where they are, when Nolan Ryan took over as team president, he put an emphasis on pitchers going deeper into games and fundamental baseball.  As a long time fan (since 1976), it is good to see the game starting to move back in this direction, but it has a long way to go.  But, as more teams win like this, other teams will copy it.  It really requires an effort to spend time and money at the minor league level and teach this style of baseball.

bearfan said:
yes, if a runner leaves first base early (for example), even if he made it all the way home, if a fielder steps on first with the ball, the runner is out.   Sometimes you will see a case where the runner is on the base when the ball is caught and tags up.  If the fielding team thinks the runnner left early they will throw the ball back to the base for the umpire to determine if he left early or not.  if a runner left early, the umpire will not tell anyone, it is up to the team in the field to get the ball to the base, then the unpire will make a call.  the caveat to this is they must do it before the next pitch is thrown, at that point it is too late to appeal an earlier play.
To add to this a bit, if you want to see examples of good baserunning, watch the ESPN highlights from the Rangers/Rays game last night, the Rangers got two extra runs by running the bases smartly and agressively.  I think we do not see enough of this any more, it really puts pressure on the defense.

Wow thanks! I think I get it now. :ok:

bearfan said:
The Braves are good at that, so are the Twins, and I think it is a main reason the Rangers are where they are, when Nolan Ryan took over as team president, he put an emphasis on pitchers going deeper into games and fundamental baseball.   As a long time fan (since 1976), it is good to see the game starting to move back in this direction, but it has a long way to go.   But, as more teams win like this, other teams will copy it.  It really requires an effort to spend time and money at the minor league level and teach this style of baseball.

I agree.  I've seen a lot of teams build for the 'long ball' type of game.  But, hitters always slump, but, as the saying goes, speed doesn't slump.  That 'small ball', singles, solid base running moves, speed, steals-- that type of game seems to be more consistent.  When you rely on the #4 or 5 hitter to get you a win with a home run, odds are just too stacked against you. 

Remember Sammy and Mark?  Hell, those guys went over 60 homers each, but if they didn't make it over the fence, they were usually out.  So, 60+ games, you could count on a few runs from them, but otherwise, lots of strike outs and fly outs.  Very few singles.  (granted, probably 150 RBI's)  But, homers are what people wanna see... too bad.

Small ball wins games. There's a reason most of your power hitters (excluding uber-humans like Pujols) have averages between .250 and .275 - they're swinging with a lot of force and little accuracy. In my opinion, the smart ballplayer is more concerned with getting a solid, well-placed base hit than he is smacking it out of the park.

Oh man, Texas is shutting out the Yanks as we speak. Come on guys, give us anti-Yankee fans a win!

Detective Beauregard said:
Small ball wins games. There's a reason most of your power hitters (excluding uber-humans like Pujols) have averages between .250 and .275 - they're swinging with a lot of force and little accuracy. In my opinion, the smart ballplayer is more concerned with getting a solid, well-placed base hit than he is smacking it out of the park.

Oh man, Texas is shutting out the Yanks as we speak. Come on guys, give us anti-Yankee fans a win!

Yankees came back to win! :rocker:

Detective Beauregard said:

I don't see how the one player is smarter than the other. Sure, it's nice to have a +.300 average, but what good is a hit if it doesn't get you anywhere? How many times have I seen an inning end with the bases loaded... to me it's better to have the three players take risks and at least one of them hit a home run, than have three players on base and not a single point scored.

It's strategy, and it is very clear that the home run, slam ball works as well.  Lots of teams use that style of play.  The only real problem is that most batters do run into a homer slump at some point or another.  So, the small ball bit, using baserunning, small hits and speed is usually more consistent over the season.  Slam ball can make some really exciting playoff games, but I think small ball, tho not as exciting, will typically be more consistent through the playoffs.  But-- if you have a slam team that gets hot-- watch out. 

Teams that rely on power hitting and home runs are like a guitar player who says "Watch this!" and rips off one amazing solo. Now ask that player to play something else ... he can't.

Manufacturing runs by skill and teamwork is like a well-trained musician who can play many different things. Due to his skill, he'll rip off an amazing solo now and then ... when he's not, he's still playing solid guitar.

Which guitarist would you rather have in your band?

Home runs are momentary excitement. "Small ball" is much more impressive in the long run.

Anybody here still following the MLB? Looks like the Giants are gonna take this one, but I still think what Cliff Lee has done is absolutely remarkable. The winning streak he was on to start his playoff career was amazing. That performance of his in Yankee Stadium in the ALDS was out of this world.

Rangers are looking good tonight, if they pull it out and win tomorrow, it's a whole new ball game.

So glad the Giants pulled it off. What a great team - outstanding pitching and no real "star" hitters. Still bummed that Fontenot never got an AB, but whatever. The Giants have a fan in me.

RIP Ron Santo, should have made it to the Hall of Fame.

CUBS LEGEND RON SANTO PASSES AWAY AT AGE OF 70

December 3, 2010 – Cubs legend Ron Santo passed away overnight at the age of 70 following a courageous battle with bladder cancer.

“My siblings and I first knew Ron Santo as fans, listening to him in the broadcast booth,” said Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts. “We knew him for his passion, his loyalty, his great personal courage and his tremendous sense of humor. It was our great honor to get to know him personally in our first year as owners.

“Ronnie will forever be the heart and soul of Cubs fans. Our thoughts and prayers today are with his wife Vicki and their family and we share with fans across the globe in mourning the loss of our team’s number one fan and one of the greatest third basemen to ever play the game.

A huge +1 to that one.

I flipped on 670 yesterday morning to hear that and was very sad to hear that.  Ron was one of those guys that kinda showed what the Cubs were all about-- he was dedicated to them through some horrible seasons, through a painful life, and always stayed in there for/with them.

I hope the HOF finally gets off its ass and gives him what he deserves.

Agreed, I know I am not going to the HOF until he is in it, as he should have been a long time ago.  The documentary (on DVD), "This Old Cub" will get a play this weekend.  To play as well as this guy did with diabetes in the 1960s before a lot was known about the disease, lose both legs, battle cancer, heart problems (Brant Brown probably caused a few of them), and to keep going on and being as cheerful as he was and keep going to work every day is a real testament to the man. 

Alomar was one of my childhood heroes, but looking back, Joe Carter would deserve it so much more.

I liked Carter, but I think Alomar (for his position) was a shoo-in, if not for the spitting deal, he would have been in last year.  Blyleven had the greatest curveball ever, I used to love watching him pitch.

Back