Official MLB baseball thread.

Genghis Khan said:
I haven't watched a full baseball game since.

I think interleague games are a big spoiler, too (if they still exist). Good to see the Jays winning against Minnesota, though (sorry Travis). Once again, I vow for next season to follow it more intensively.

So glad to see the Giants beat Atlanta yesterday (Lincecum was amazing). Hopefully they'll do it again tonight, too!

Come on, Twins! Don't let those damn Yanks get any further! I really don't want to see another Yanks/Phillies WS. Let's hope the Rays can pool their strength and actually score a run against Texas, too - maybe even win a game!

Finally, Halladay's no-hitter was so awesome to see, especially against the Reds and their loudmouth players. I'm a bit worried for the next series, though, since I doubt the Giants can take Philly. But we'll see.

A very nice sendoff for Bobby Cox yesterday, I am not a Braves fan, but cannot help but respect what he has done.  It was also classy on the Giants part to applaud him.

Being a Mets fan i despise Atlanta. Can't deny that Bobby Cox was a hell of a manager though. Nice to see that the team rallied around his impending retirement and had a great year. Giants will be a tough out with that pitching staff. Go Tampa!!!  Texas doesn't have a chance against the Yankees so i am pulling for Tampa Bay big time!

I'm pulling for the Giants and my boy Fontenot, but I think it's hard to assume that the Phillies will lose. I'm expecting a lot of low-scoring games due to the amazing pitching on both sides. Also, I'm 100% behind any team that can shut down the galactic Yankee empire. Go Tampa!

A question from someone who's not so familiar with baseball. These might sound very basic so please bear with me:

If a batter hits a long flyball with the bases loaded...

1) Can the runners start running once the ball is hit/thrown?
2) If there are runners that score but flyball is caught, are those runs still counted?
3) If there are runners that score but flyball is caught, which completes the 3 outs for that inning, can the runners still continue running to attempt to score?

runners  need to tag up, they need to be standing on the base when the the ball is caught, once the ball is caught, the runners may try to advance from any base to any base.

For example, if there are no outs (or one out), the runner at third can run home once the ball is caught, of course the fielder can try to throw him out, runners on other bases could attempt to advance as well.

If a ball is caught as the 3rd out, runners cannot advance, thus cannot score.  Which makes sense because the runner needs to be on the base before the ball is caught before he can try to advance.

valacirca said:
A question from someone who's not so familiar with baseball. These might sound very basic so please bear with me:

If a batter hits a long flyball with the bases loaded...

1) Can the runners start running once the ball is hit/thrown?
2) If there are runners that score but flyball is caught, are those runs still counted?
3) If there are runners that score but flyball is caught, which completes the 3 outs for that inning, can the runners still continue running to attempt to score?

Is this correct?

* A runner may only start running once a flyball is caught or a grounder is hit.
* If the hit is a fly ball, a runner must be standing on a base when the ball is caught.
* If the hit is a grounder, it doesn't matter where the runner is when the ball is caught. He should just avoid getting tagged while not on a base.

So in a fly ball situation, the sequence of events is:

pitcher throws the ball >>> batter hits a fly ball >>> everyone waits until the ball is caught (or not) >>> once the ball lands, the runners may attempt to advance to the next base

I always thought that runners can start running anytime :p like this:

pitcher throws the ball >>> batter hits a fly ball >>> runners attempt to advance to the next base

valacirca said:
Is this correct?

* A runner may only start running once a flyball is caught or a grounder is hit.

Not quite, a runner can start running whenever he wants, however if the batter hits a ball that is caught in the air and the runner leaves the base before the ball is caught, the fielder can throw (or run the ball to) the base the runner left early and the runner would be out if the ball beat him back to the base.

* If the hit is a fly ball, a runner must be standing on a base when the ball is caught.

See above, he needs to be on the base if he wants to tag up to advance to the next base.,

* If the hit is a grounder, it doesn't matter where the runner is when the ball is caught. He should just avoid getting tagged while not on a base.

Yes, though he can be forced out.  For example if a runner is on first and a ground ball is hit, the runner must try to advance to second, he needs to get to second base before the fielder steps on the base with the ball .. the runner can be tagged as well, but this happens less often as touching the base with the ball is they safer play.

So in a fly ball situation, the sequence of events is:

pitcher throws the ball >>> batter hits a fly ball >>> everyone waits until the ball is caught (or not) >>> once the ball lands, the runners may attempt to advance to the next base

I always thought that runners can start running anytime :p like this:

pitcher throws the ball >>> batter hits a fly ball >>> runners attempt to advance to the next base

Your first scenario is correct with no outs or one out.  If there are two outs, the runners will just run, because if the ball is caught, the inning is over, if the ball is dropped, they will be further along.

You always have other scenarios, for example one out a runner on first who tries to steal second, on his way to second the batter hits a line drive to the first baseman who can go step on first base and get a double play

Or just stupid base running, IMO this is one area where players today do not spend enough time, I constantly see running mistakes that I remember learning in Little League when I was 7.

Pretty much. However, to muddy the waters, if a ball is hit, and the runner doesn't think it will be caught, he can start running. So, with 2 outs, every one runs on a fly ball- reason: if its caught, inning over and no loss; if its not caught, they are rounding bases.

bearfan said:
Not quite, a runner can start running whenever he wants, however if the batter hits a ball that is caught in the air and the runner leaves the base before the ball is caught, the fielder can throw (or run the ball to) the base the runner left early and the runner would be out if the ball beat him back to the base.

Is it critical that it should be the base that the runner left? What happens if the runner reaches the next base before the fielder can throw (or run the ball to) the base the runner left early? Is the runner still out?

valacirca said:
Is it critical that it should be the base that the runner left? What happens if the runner reaches the next base before the fielder can throw (or run the ball to) the base the runner left early? Is the runner still out?

yes, if a runner leaves first base early (for example), even if he made it all the way home, if a fielder steps on first with the ball, the runner is out.  Sometimes you will see a case where the runner is on the base when the ball is caught and tags up.  If the fielding team thinks the runnner left early they will throw the ball back to the base for the umpire to determine if he left early or not.  if a runner left early, the umpire will not tell anyone, it is up to the team in the field to get the ball to the base, then the unpire will make a call.  the caveat to this is they must do it before the next pitch is thrown, at that point it is too late to appeal an earlier play.
To add to this a bit, if you want to see examples of good baserunning, watch the ESPN highlights from the Rangers/Rays game last night, the Rangers got two extra runs by running the bases smartly and agressively.  I think we do not see enough of this any more, it really puts pressure on the defense.

I think that is one thing that the Braves had been good at, and you are right, you don't see a lot of that 'small ball, base running' that used to keep a defense on its toes. 

Back