Official MLB baseball thread.

Call me when 90% of their insanely long 165 game season is almost over, then we'll see how well teams are doing.

I said to myself "we have a MLB thread?". Then I saw only 2 posts. Meh, Cubs suck this year.

Hey, the Jays won against the Yankees. Hurray!

*sigh* they still suck, though.

Call me nuts, but I never got over the division reform that took place in 1994(5?). It still looks weird to me.

OH, yeah, when they went from two divisions per league to three? 

The only reason was to extend the playoffs. 

Here are the Cubs this season:  sucked, sucking, will suck.

I don't understand why baseball has such a huge regular season but only 8 teams make the playoffs...162 games and you know who's out of the race after 40.

Yeah, I've always found it amusing that MLB has 162 games, 8 teams make it in, and the series are 5 games round one, and 7 for round 2 and 3.  Hockey has half the games, twice the teams and all are 7 games.  I don't recall NBA, but I think more teams in the playoffs and all 7 game series.

LooseCannon said:
I don't understand why baseball has such a huge regular season but only 8 teams make the playoffs...162 games and you know who's out of the race after 40.
Actually, New York and Tampa Bay are neck in neck as well as Atlanta and Philly. And MN. is 9.5 games ahead! :yey:

Well, the sport itself doesn't excite me - however, I really find the history of baseball fascinating. Unfortunately, I just don't have the ability to get invested in a sport when I can't feel excited for my team, especially when they're back after half the season. In this, the NFL and NHL are far more exciting - the NFL often comes down to the last weekend, and the past few years the NHL has come down to the last game.

I don't get why you'd cheer for a team that's already out of the playoffs 1/4th of the season in.

As a Cub fan, I have plenty of experience at being out of the race early.  It's still fun to go to the game, to see individual players from your team as well as the opposition, and even if they will not make the playoffs, there is no reason they cannot win the day you are there.  As the saying goes, take it one game at a time .. and if that game is going badly, you have the beer stand.

Yeah, and there is that mexican place, about 8 blocks away (Cesar's?) that makes the best margaritas Ive ever had!

"The New York Mets parted ways with manager Jerry Manuel and general manager Omar Minaya on Monday, an expected shake-up of the big-spending ballclub after its second straight losing season."

Thank You!!! Now if someone beats the Yankees in the playoffs this season will not be a complete failure.

Perun said:
Hey, the Jays won against the Yankees. Hurray!

*sigh* they still suck, though.

Call me nuts, but I never got over the division reform that took place in 1994(5?). It still looks weird to me.
I haven't watched a full baseball game since.

Back