Official Maidenfans poll: Favorite studio album 2015

What is your favorite Iron Maiden studio album?

• Iron Maiden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Killers

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Number of the Beast

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Piece of Mind

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Powerslave

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • Somewhere in Time

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • No Prayer for the Dying

• Fear of the Dark

• The X Factor

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Virtual XI

• Brave New World

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Dance of Death

• A Matter of Life and Death

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The Final Frontier

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Book of Souls

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
Somewhere In Time without a doubt.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is my 2nd favourite.
Still need to figure out where the other albums rank. Very impressed by The Book Of Souls so far.

Still A Matter of Life and Death which I believe is their most consistent album song for song, and also the most focused in terms of atmosphere. I have individual songs I rate higher from The Final Frontier, but as a complete album A Matter of Life and Death takes the cake. (And to be honest "The Legacy", "For the Greater Good of God" and "Lord of Light" are resting firmly in my top 10 in any case.) It's one of those rare albums where specific songs are lifted because they are part of a greater whole - would I listen to "Out of the Shadows" and love it if it had been on No Prayer for the Dying? Probably not! But here it fits perfectly in the flow of the album, and I couldn't imagine skipping it. As for production & playing on the record, I think everyone did a tremendous job on it. The drum sound is a particular highlight for me, and especially Nicko's old snare.

For the record, The Final Frontier and The X Factor are the runners-up.

This. I mean, seriously: this. I wouldn't change a word. Even my runners-up are the same! (And the same order, I might add) o_O

I will not vote, however, until I've given TBOS enough time to sink in and have re-listened to all albums at least twice.

Somewhere in time has been and always will be my favorite album ever, by anyone. Period. TBOS is fifth in my listnow after SIT, Powerslave, POM, and Killers. It is a great fucking album. The title track is becoming one of my favorite songs ever.

Times have changed I think. 6 to 10 years ago, I don't think SIT wasn't so much on top, and definitely not so much above the rest.

Okay, so I've heard all albums at least once more, some of them twice. And it's AMOLAD. To quote 'Arry - "All of my life // I have believed // Somewhere in Time is just perfect for me..." and it was my choice the last time, but overall, AMOLAD is a stronger experience to me. TBOS won't get higher than around #5, and I think it'll stay that way.

... Well, maybe I should write some more about why AMOLAD, right? (Maybe I shouldn't, but then again, what are forums for, anyway?)

So... It's been my first Maiden album I've experienced as a fan. I mean, my first (?) experience with Maiden was the FotD album, which my father played to me when I was about four, then it was BNW/Rock in Rio, which was again my father trying to hook me on to the music he listened to at the time... And then I remember Rainmaker in the radio and listening to the whole of DOD some time later (and thinking the beginning of Paschendale sounds like a 90's mobile phone ringtone... oh, silly me :facepalm: ). Then something clicked and I've decided to listen to Maiden more seriously... And right after that, a new album has been announced and I could eagerly wait for it, enjoy it, listen to Benjamin Breeg with anticipation on the radio... Listen to the album secretly in school during the boring lessons... This "nostalgia factor" is unfair, but it can't be beat.

But that's not all. The album is perfect as a whole. It just fits together so nicely. The themes and everything... I like the fact it's mostly about war - I don't believe many bands would and could handle it with such grace as Maiden have. The cover fits too - I like the style and I like the way it really compliments the essence of the album. Also - and this is the first time I've written about this and I've never read any opinion regarding this, but it's very important to me - I can't help but to hear connections in the music contained within. Listen to the riff on BTATS, at around 3:35 (under the solo). Doesn't it remind you of the chorus of LOL? And now, please, listen to the riff in FTGGOG, at about 6:57. Isn't it really similar to These Colours Don't Run? I think so. Maybe I'm wrong, but it helps me to appreciate the album more, so won't convince me so easily otherwise. :)

The strength of the material is another aspect. I mean, the songs are just amazing. Both DW and The Pilgrim are fast and incredibly catchy rockers, the like of which I can't help but to adore. We have the "dark" epics, BTATS and LOL, both of which contain great riffs and they sound complex and creative to me. We have the Harris epic, FTGOG, which is semi-complex, but mostly emotional and it works. It just works. We have These Colours Don't Run, a song which is very "easy listening", but it's one of my "secret favourites" - from the first moment I've heard the track #2 on this album, I just knew it'll be a wonderful and joyous ride.
We have The Longest Day, which is the small climax of the album. From the ominous beginning, it gains momentum, it raises higher... and it culminates in a perfect way, again being very emotional and - in a way - tear-jerking. It tells the tale of the D-Day... and it tells it in an excellent way. You are there. Really.
Of course, The Legacy is the climax, the masterpiece. From the "lullaby" beginning, to the scary 8-note riff (reocurring throughout the song), after which it gets mysterious and Oldfieldish, then it's time for some slow'n'heavy mudwalk, which works as a tension-raiser, then Janick's greatest solo of the album (and one of the best overall) and then the finish, which concludes the album in a nice way - a hope and a frustration present at the same time, the nice guitar work supports the lament of the common decency, as it says goodbye to us and closes the album, nicely finishing the overall theme.

Even Out of the Shadows, undisputely the song I like the least here, fits. BTW, I belive the only reason I doesn't like it that much is it reminds me of Wasting Love. Well, no. It doesn't remind me of it; it's a pure rip-off. But it isn't an offensive one and like I've said - it fits the album. I can't imagine the transition between TLD and TROBB without this one.

And the production. I mean - as I've already mentioned earlier here on this forum, I know jacksh** about production. But this album just sounds great. Nicko's drums, Bruce's vocals, 'Arry's base is just high enough in the mix to be noticeable but not overbearing... And the guitars are just perfect. In fact, thanks to the guitars this album is quite heavy, too. Breeg and BTATS in particular - I don't remember Maiden being quite this heavy before or after.

I'm sorry for the long post, but this is the way I feel right now. It might - and probably will - change. But right now I proudly vote for A Matter of Life and Death. Because it showed me that the band after nearly thirty years of existence can release its masterpiece and reach its peak. It's like a movie - it's a almost a blasphemy to dissect it into its songs, just as is a blasphemy to dissect a movie into various scenes. Judas out. :D :D

1. Somewhere In Time
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Powerslave
4. A Matter Of Life and Death
5. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6. Number Of The Beast
7. Brave New World
8. Book Of Souls
9. Iron Maiden
10. Final Frontier
11. Dance Of Death
12. Killers
13. X-Factor
14. Fear Of The Dark
15. Virtual XI
16. No Prayer For The Dying

Might I add that I am talking extremely fine margins here.
Within a week my number 1 could be any of the top 9.

I can't help but to hear connections in the music contained within. Listen to the riff on BTATS, at around 3:35 (under the solo). Doesn't it remind you of the chorus of LOL? And now, please, listen to the riff in FTGGOG, at about 6:57. Isn't it really similar to These Colours Don't Run? I think so. Maybe I'm wrong, but it helps me to appreciate the album more, so won't convince me so easily otherwise. :)

Certain chord progessions are most definitely reused throughout the album. This has been used as a criticism by some, but I really agree with your point that it ties the songs together. We find the typical Maiden-progression i-VI-III-VII in almost every song (Em-C-G-D in the key of E minor), and in "Brighter", "Breeg" and "Light" you have a much more uncommon E5-C5-A5-F5. Almost all of them are in the same key. It's almost as if it was done by intent.

I voted SIT. It still is my favorite album, with perfect songs, cover art and H and 'Arry in top shape

Piece of Mind, love the general atmosphere and feel (despite the relatively lower quality ending to the LP). My overall ranking changes with the seasons but PoM remains #1. I suppose nostalgia plays a part in this but the opening 6 tracks also plays a part, arguably the finest 6 tracks in a row Maiden have ever released

So, "some time" (aka ages) has now gone. It's time to make some sort of decision here. I'm a big fan of their reunion material, as most of you know. Brave New World has always ranked really high, but as the years have gone on I find that while it's still a gem, it's not super consistent. AMOLAD for instance, is a more consistently good album. However, it's pretty dark and depressing, and the theme of war is a bit too much for me. My appreciation of Dance of Death as an album has increased, as has my appreciation for The Number of the Beast. I've taken a bit of a rest from The Book of Souls and concluded that it is a great all around encapsulation of what Maiden's songwriting style and catalogue look like. It has some fun stuff, it has the obligatory war song or two, it has the epics, and it even has a new Rime. It's a bit like Maiden made a review of their own discography, with some tongue in cheek references to past songs in the lyrics too. It has a very consistent sound too. Having said all that, I'm not sure it's my favorite as much as it is a great all-around Maiden tour de force. I think I'll go with Seventh Son for today. Ask me tomorrow and who knows, I might be back to Brave New World :p.

Back