Official Iron Maiden artwork and fan drawn Eddies (no AI images please)

Maybe this is not the right thread, but I want to share this beautiful picture with you guys. I asked a friend of mine to draw my favorite Eddie and album cover (FOTD) and he done it for half an hour, without putting so much effort and the result is amazing ! It's his favorite album cover too. I think I should ask him to do more drawings of Maiden album covers (Powerslave album cover should be the next one). But on canvas, not on a sheet of a notebook, with more time for the whole drawing. He definitely is a amazing artist. :)

jyyrjjyj.jpg

Last edited:
People have been discussing TBOS's empty cover forever, and I personally think it's great and fits better than the other artwork from the release. That said, I do think they could have done it one better - this cover truly brings out the title and is a great feel for the album.

e34d77103359546a24e1d1f2bd8a1541.995x995x1.jpg

People have been discussing TBOS's empty cover forever, and I personally think it's great and fits better than the other artwork from the release. That said, I do think they could have done it one better - this cover truly brings out the title and is a great feel for the album.

That one is not bad too. I started to appreciate TBOS cover more, and I think it is one of the best Eddies, but some background should had been added - a jungle, Mayan pyramid and Eddie holding a spear and a book, for example....

Maybe this is not the right thread, but I want to share this beautiful picture with you guys. I asked a friend of mine to draw my favorite Eddie and album cover (FOTD) and he done it for half an hour, without putting so much effort and the result is amazing ! It's his favorite album cover too. I think I should ask him to do more drawings of Maiden album covers (Powerslave album cover should be the next one). But on canvas, not on a sheet of a notebook, with more time for the whole drawing. He definitely is a amazing artist. :)

View attachment 7546
That's... awfully good. Damn, wish I could just byro shit up like that.

That's... awfully good. Damn, wish I could just byro shit up like that.

Thank you very much, mate. - my friend will also be very happy with your comment. I just accept all the praise... :lol: I also wish I could draw like this, but I'm not bad at all too.... Eddie is very difficult to draw.

Last edited:

It's not too bad, but the artwork Maiden went for is just perfect. But there were a lot of great Eddies and artworks from TBOS. The backdrops they had for Death or Glory and The Book of Souls were phenomenal.

Edit: If they had gone for a background, a mayan calendar could have been cool. I remember seing one fan made cover with the calendar and it looked quite good. Wasn't distracting which I think the one above is.

Looks like that plane is going down fast. Maybe Dickinson didn't like that one ;)

Looks like that plane is going down fast. Maybe Dickinson didn't like that one ;)
I like the expression on Bruce’s face and the fact that Edison is in the cockpit with him...

I like the expression on Bruce’s face and the fact that Edison is in the cockpit with him...

Why haven't paid attention to that earlier... That's actually very cool detail! Otherwise I'm not too fond of that artwork, but it's nice as it is and could have been decent piece to go with Flight 666 releases.

Otherwise I'm not too fond of that artwork, but it's nice as it is and could have been decent piece to go with Flight 666 releases.

Yeah, it is not the best artwork (especially from DR), but I hate to see album covers with the band members on it - for Maiden is good, maybe for once, but they have such a huge tradition with Eddie.... and I also think that the artworks for En Vivo! and Live Chapter are not so good too. Maiden England '88 (2013) is great though, and Death On The Road is an amazing artwork.

EDIT: Live Chapter is good actually, but it is just a reused tour poster....

Last edited:
Yeah, it is not the best artwork (especially from DR), but I hate to see album covers with the band members on it - for Maiden is good, maybe for once, but they have such a huge tradition with Eddie....

Well, yeah, especially with Flight 666 which has that band picture taken from AMOLAD booklet, with photoshopped sunglasses and Eddie added to Bruce's shirt... :D

Some interesting stuff: I've found this unfinished sketches from Derek Riggs for TFF artwork. Wow, I thought he never worked again with Maiden since the BNW artwork. I do not know if the band has made a request to him to bring his ideas/drawings for the album cover, or he just made them for himself - but this sketches contains not only the actual cover(1) but even the back cover(2).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 93
You sure that's for TFF? It literally screams "abduction"

You sure that's for TFF?

Yes. :yes: And I think this Eddie (though unfinished) looks more like an alien than the actual one on the album cover, which looks like the Predator.

Here are some thoughts from Melvyn Grant about the creation of the original album cover - apparently, he doesn't like DR style of drawing ->

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-cover-artist-discusses-the-final-frontier/

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/07/27/so-thats-not-eddie-on-the-cover-of-the-final-frontier/

Last edited:
Interesting. I like the TFF cover, especially the bluish tones of the background and the round glass helmet. It looks to me like a HD remake of some 16-bit classic game scene. Sets the SF atmosphere but not too seriously. Those Riggs ideas are somewhat...contextual. Aliens are abducting people and Eddie is leading them. I'd expect a song at least vaguely on this trail to get the idea what's it all about.

Back