Official Iran Thread

Perun said:
This is just too fucking hilarious... all the world's media is falling for Ahmadinejad's trap.

Yesterday was the 31. anniversary of the Iranian Revolution, and protesters again took the streets in major Iranian cities. I know of confirmed reports of protests and clashes in Tehran, Esfahan, Shiraz, Mashhad, Ahvaz and Tabriz. Obviously, Ahmadi knew what was going to happen, so he tried to distract observers by announcing that Iran is now a nuclear country. And indeed, he managed to trick the western media... all the world is yet again talking about the nuclear program, and nobody mentions that protesters have taken control of an entire district in central Tehran.

I know nobody cares for the people of Iran, but still, it's ironic that our oh so advanced and freedom-loving society just ignores an entire people's fight for freedom.

I think it is a vicious cycle.  The media does not care to report this as they don't think the public cares, as they've been influenced by statist intellectuals.  The public doesn't care about other people's plight as they don't care about their own; they vote for politicians that deminish rights futher every term.  The politicians don't care for their plight because the resources any country may have would be tougher to control in a civil society.  Resources at home are highly controled and regulated. When is the last time a nuclear reactor opened in the States or new oil sources were explored?  This is because statist intellectuals are to busy selling non-sense about the dangers of nuclear power and environmentalist propaganda.  Big business bribes big government to get deals abroad through force.  The public needs these resources to function.  More wars are needed, so both the state and the voters look for excuses to 'liberate' backward countries and bring 'humanitarianism' to these peoples.  Either that or already-totalitarian regimes need to be supported.  There is more to it, but that's the gist.  I blame the intellectuals the most.  All the excuses the intellectuals cook up to regulate the economy has so many detrimental effects.  If all this cap-and-trade non-sense increases, there will be even more wars initiated by the West, especially the States.  You can mark my words on that.

Zare said:
It means that our society is highly ironic and contradictory.
In any case, they have my full support. Always good to see people fighting against injustice. Especially when your society is a textbook example of apathy.

Western societies - all of them - are contradictory in many ways.  

Recently a Dutch journalist had an 32 minute exclusive interview with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, president of Iran.

Topics:
-Worries about the nuclear program
-Western troops in the region
-Wilders
-Dutch requests for assisting Iranian-Dutch Sahra Baahrami (accused of opposition activities and possession of drugs -> probably death penalty), in Teheran prison (answer negative: Iran does not recognize Dutch nationality, she was born in Iran)

Perun might find the English "live" translator annoying, because it might bother him while checking his language skills? ;)
Though, maybe not, the voices can be heard seperately:
Ahmadinejad -> left audio channel
English translator -> right audio channel

I find it funny that Ahmadinejad sometimes waits til the English translation is done. By the way, I heard the translation was checked afterwards and it's 100% correct.

What a bastard. There's only one question I would have asked him: "Why are you killing you own people on the streets and when will you stop?"

Note how he looks very much like George W. Bush in his seemingly innocent facial expressions.

Errr... Not to do a thread-jack but as an Iranian I have to say this country sucks! It cost me ~$100 to order The Final Frontier from a friend in Singapore two weeks ago and I haven't received it yet!  :(

Btw, I`m an English Teacher here in Tehran, so if anyone needs anything, I can translate whatever you like.  :)

Farhang said:
Btw, I`m an English Teacher here in Tehran, so if anyone needs anything, I can translate whatever you like.  :)

Merci, amma fekr nemikonam ke to mitooni ketabhaye tamam baraye man tarjome koni? ;)

Perun said:
Merci, amma fekr nemikonam ke to mitooni ketabhaye tamam baraye man tarjome koni? ;)

I would happily do that if I had some free time. How long is the book?

LooseCannon said:
Oh shit, here comes the Farsi.

Well I was hoping that mainly being a hardcore Maiden fan is the importance in this forum and being an Iranian does not affect my membership here but it looks like I was wrong. :(

That was pointed at Perun, not you. I should explain that Perun and I (and many other long-standing members of the forum) are good friends, and that we regularly joke with each other. Please excuse any unintended slight, and welcome to the forum. If we allow Onhell, we will welcome you with proverbial open arms.

(See, there I go again, making fun of another member!)

Oh no problem. Long before I became a member here I read most of your reviews and opinions on Maiden songs and really enjoyed it. :)

On Topic:
I noticed that the translator couldn't really translate some of Ahamdi-Nezhad's speeches. I need to explain that he is mostly using "old sayings" that can't be directly translated!
That makes perfect sense being an illiterate, he can't talk for ****.

Farhang said:
I would happily do that if I had some free time. How long is the book?

Actually, let me come back to that soon. I'm probably going to need some help when I cite Persian works in my current term paper, which is not going to be much anyway. Basically, it would be about identifying passages I read in translation in the original works, so I might call you on that within the next couple of days. :)

Warning: Bitter rant following.

So, yesterday I was at a screening of a film called The Green Wave, with a panel discussion following it.

Theoretically, I would recommend anyone to watch it... but then, I know nobody cares. The film doesn't make any mention of the Nuclear Program or Israel. It is purely about the revolts following the rigged elections in summer 2009, called the green wave. It is about the human rights abuse in Iran. You know, that thing nobody ever mentioned again after Michael Jackson died, but that has been happening in Iran every day since.
Following the panel discussion, the audience was allowed to ask questions. There were dozens of questions about the Nuclear Program and Israel. Only one about the Green Movement. Even after they saw that bloody film that showed it and spelled it out to them that to the people in Iran, this stuff is not important. I lost my faith in humanity once again.

I understand why you're bitter and I am not going to argue. However, I'll mention a point I found interesting.

Yesterday one of the Iranians at the department celebrated his birthday, and some of his colleagues gathered for coffee and cakes (made by him and his wife, with whom I shared office for a year). Obviously, since it's the hot topic in these days, we discussed the wikileaks fuzz and related political stuff in a light-hearted manner. One of the other Iranians (they are 6-7 at this department) mentioned that they'd rather not see the West (especially the US) being too vocal in their support for the green movement - because that could make it more difficult for them. My understanding of this was that he thought it would be easier to change Iran from the inside if the regime can not blame the West for the protests.

What do you make of this?

May I ask, did the audience consist out of all kinds of groups? Or was it especially Iranians, or especially Germans?

Eddies Wingman said:
Yesterday one of the Iranians at the department celebrated his birthday, and some of his colleagues gathered for coffee and cakes (made by him and his wife, with whom I shared office for a year). Obviously, since it's the hot topic in these days, we discussed the wikileaks fuzz and related political stuff in a light-hearted manner. One of the other Iranians (they are 6-7 at this department) mentioned that they'd rather not see the West (especially the US) being too vocal in their support for the green movement - because that could make it more difficult for them. My understanding of this was that he thought it would be easier to change Iran from the inside if the regime can not blame the West for the protests.

That was my understanding as well. And that is why many Iranians ask for solidarity, but not intervention. The Ahmadinejad regime will do anything to put the blame on Americans and British, and that was their argument from the word go: They said the members of the green wave were foreign agents.

Forostar said:
May I ask, did the audience consist out of all kinds of groups? Or was it especially Iranians, or especially Germans?

Many Iranians, many Germans. Many self-righteous Germans, if I may add. Why?

Ahh, well, after that film, these people went back to their comfortable home.
I never expected that such groups really know what's going on there or show any compassion.

It's double: On one hand you need people if you strife for a common goal and want to change something.
On the other hand I wouldn't bother too much about those who ignore the truth and who do not represent the real problem of Iran.

Maybe they know what's going on, but they might be too afraid to show it.

I just wonder what these people saw in the film. Did they even see it? It described how people get tortured at random, how people went on the streets for their freedom and got killed... is that their normal evening entertaining or something?

Maybe it was like (Beavis & Butthead voices):

Be
"Duh we knew that already"

Bu
"But when it will this really get exciting?"

Be
"Bombs, uhuh uhuh."

Bu
"Nuclear bombs, asswipe. Uhuh uhuh".

Perun said:
To most Iranians, the whole nuclear thing is not a big topic.

Is that still so? Nonetheless, this is getting more actual again.

World approaching 'military option' on Iran, says Israeli president

Israeli President Shimon Peres said he believed a military strike against Iran was a more likely option than a diplomatic solution to the country's nuclear standoff.

“Intelligence services of various countries understand that time is running out and they are warning their leaders,” Peres said in an interview with Israel's Channel 2 on Friday, adding: “I am not sure that conclusions have not been made.”

“It would seem that Iran is getting closer to having nuclear weapons," Peres said. World leaders need to "fulfill their responsibility" to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear power “whether that means serious sanctions or whether it means a military operation,” he added.

His remarks came following Israeli media reports that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was seeking his ministers' support for a military operation against Iran.
Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has dismissed the reports as “absolutely unacceptable” and “harmful for the country.”

Tensions are mounting against Iran ahead of a crucial report on the country's nuclear program to be presented by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) next week. Western powers suspect Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons under the guise of peaceful energy generation, a charge Tehran denies.

Forostar said:
Is that still so?

More than ever. In a state of unemployment, looming poverty and lack of political participation, such things are a non-issue.

Tensions are mounting against Iran ahead of a crucial report on the country's nuclear program to be presented by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) next week. Western powers suspect Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons under the guise of peaceful energy generation, a charge Tehran denies.[/size]

So, another report. Didn't we have several of those before? This issue has been ongoing for ages, it's hard to take it serious anymore.

As for Israel, it's clear that the government is resorting to belligerence in desperate attempt to shut its own population up. The best way to quell domestic unrest is to scare people with an outward enemy. Since Lebanon is destroyed, Syria is busy with its own problems and Egypt is better left alone at the moment, Iran is the obvious candidate.

And of course, America is playing along with its poorly orchestrated excuse for a bad Hollywood plot.

Back