Official Football Thread

Still hope for Dirk Kuyt! (in red the three players who I think will leave the squad as well, though I admit that I have no clue if those 2 field players will be the ones)-->

Marco Van Basten cuts Emanuelson, Jaliens, Maduro, Koevermans from Euro 2008 squad

THE HAGUE, Netherlands: Marco van Basten cut four players from his provisional European Championship squad Friday, and invited Sevilla defender Khalid Boulahrouz to a pre-tournament training camp to assess his fitness.

Van Basten dropped defenders Urby Emanuelson of Ajax and Kew Jaliens of AZ Alkmaar, Valencia midfielder Hedwiges Maduro and PSV Eindhoven striker Danny Koevermans from his original 30-man squad.

AC Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf was also in the original roster but announced on Tuesday he would not play in the June 7-29 Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland, saying Van Basten had not given him room to play to his full potential.

Boulahrouz was not included in Van Basten's provisional roster but has returned to fitness.

"The technical leadership of Oranje wants to get an idea of the physical condition of the Sevilla defender, who is fit again after months of injury," the Netherlands soccer federation said in a statement.

Boulahrouz has played 21 times for the Netherlands. His last match was last September, when Van Basten's team beat Bulgaria 2-0 in Amsterdam.

Meanwhile, Maduro was invited to train with the Netherlands' squad for the Olympic Games by coach Foppe de Haan.

The Netherlands, whose only major title came at the European Championship in 1988, is in what is widely regarded as the toughest group at Euro 2008. Group C also includes world champion Italy, France and Romania.

Van Basten must announce his final squad by May 28.

___

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Sander Boschker (FC Twente), Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Henk Timmer (Feyenoord).

Defenders: Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa), Tim de Cler (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Ajax), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Mario Melchiot (Wigan Athletic), Andre Ooijer (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Orlando Engelaar (FC Twente), Nigel de Jong (Hamburg), Denny Landzaat (Feyenoord), Wesley Sneijder (Real Madrid), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg), Demy de Zeeuw (AZ Alkmaar).

Forwards: Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ajax), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Real Madrid), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Celtic).

Albie said:
From what I have been reading, just about every one is saying that Leeds will now beat Donny in the final. Funny, I thought that Southend was still in with a shout of the final. The Shrimpers have had a good away record in recent months.

Unfortunately for Southend, they seemed to be right about Doncaster in the final. What happened to their good form?

Now that we know that it will in fact be Leeds vs Doncaster, I think Leeds will win it, and thus manage what I guess few would have thought them capable of; getting promotion even with a 15 points deduction from the start. If they do, I guess I must say it is deserved.

Eddies Wingman said:
Unfortunately for Southend, they seemed to be right about Doncaster in the final. What happened to their good form?
Hitting the crossbar in the opening minutes and then conceding a penalty a minute or so later set the tone for the game - and Southend were convincingly beaten. Still, there's always next year.

Apparently, the travelling support have been roundly praised for their constant singing and just downright enjoying themselves even at 5-0 down. Been a Southend supporter you do have so many downs but not a lot of ups - so you just might as well make the most of it whatever the outcome.

Eddies Wingman said:
@Forostar: I'll contribute my best during the European Championships. I'm going to support Poland because they have nice colours. (Actually, Fredrikstad FK took their colours, white shirt and red shorts, from the Polish after Poland had met Norway in a friendly at Fredrikstad Stadium a long time ago).

Since my wife is Polish and since the coach is Dutch I will also support them, every single match, except if you know what I mean might happen. ;)

Ehh, then the question has to be; Do you want I know what you mean to happen? Is it a dream or a nightmare?

I'd also like to elaborate on the story of Fredrikstad FK's colours. In the club's early years (established 1903) the colours were changed several times. For some time, they actually played in blue and white stripes (reminiscent of Sheffield Wednesday), this later became the colours of arch rivals Sarpsborg FK. After Norway and Poland met in a friendly match on October 7th, 1926 (Poland won 4-3), the club leaders thought the white and red suits of the Polish team were the right choice. Thus, they decided to ask the Polish football association for permission to use the colours. The reply, in writin, from the Polish FA was that FFK should feel free to do so, and with the letter they also sent a Polish national team suit. As far as I know, this suit is kept in the football museum in Fredrikstad (I haven't been there for a while, so I don't remember if it is on display there).

Of course this is a digression, but any proper football fan is interested in club history and pointless trivia  ;)

Well, I find it interesting :)

And uh, I rather see that not happening, unless it's the final.  ;)
edit: Not because it’s a nightmare, more because I want them both to get far.

So Joan Laporta seems set to lose both Ronaldinhio and Eto'o in the summer as part of Barca's restructuring. Arguably two of the greatest players of the last five years seem set destined for new teams. I hear Man City are in the running but I just can't see that happening. I wouldnt be surprised if Chelsea went in for Eto'o.

Heh, I just checked and: YES I want Poland to meet Holland. 100%!

The only possibility that they can meet is the final, so yes, a great thought!  :)

I'll be supporting Poland and Austria, as they're my grandparents' countries. I don't hold out much hope for either though: that group is pretty tough. Germany, I think will win the tournament outright, and Poland will struggle to beat Croatia for second place.
Holland have a good chance of getting through the group stage: France are a fallen power, with aging stars and a lack of quality throughout the team let alone squad; with Italy, it all depends on their tactics, especially with which striker (if any) they play with Luca Toni. My choice for them would be Del Piero, who had a great season for Juve finishing top scorer in Serie A - not bad for an old fogie.

national acrobat said:
I'll be supporting Poland and Austria, as they're my grandparents' countries. I don't hold out much hope for either though: that group is pretty tough. Germany, I think will win the tournament outright, and Poland will struggle to beat Croatia for second place.
Holland have a good chance of getting through the group stage: France are a fallen power, with aging stars and a lack of quality throughout the team let alone squad; with Italy, it all depends on their tactics, especially with which striker (if any) they play with Luca Toni. My choice for them would be Del Piero, who had a great season for Juve finishing top scorer in Serie A - not bad for an old fogie.

Well, I think that Holland will have a terribly difficult time to get through that group. They might fail. But if they won't.... if they won't. Then I think it will be easier after that and they might really reach the final.

It will be tough for Poland in their group as well. Still, I imagine that their first match vs Germany (8th of June) will be fantastic, the Poles should be motivated to the bone with a huge pack of loyal supporters screaming them forward. 

edit: By the way, I forget to tell this news:

FC Twente have secured a place in the preliminary round of the European Champions League, after drawing 0-0 on Sunday in the second leg of the play-off against Ajax of Amsterdam. Twente won the first leg 2-1. PSV of Eindhoven who won the Dutch premier league are guaranteed a place in the Champions League.

Ajax's failure to qualify for Europe's top football competition has increased the chance that star striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will leave the club. 

Plus: Steve McClaren considering FC Twente job

Forostar said:
Ajax's failure to qualify for Europe's top football competition has increased the chance that star striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will leave the club.  [/size]

Plus: Steve McClaren considering FC Twente job

And would a certain team in red who are about to win the Champions League be his destination???

Albie, what's your view on Southend's decision today to release five players? Are they making room for new arrivals for a determined push next season?

national acrobat said:
Yes, I saw that piece of news. Please pass on my deepest sympathies and condolences to any FC Twente fans you may know.

HAHA.

In the space of a few years,

Middlesbrough boss, England Boss, FC Twente boss? Is he trying to dissapear off the face of the earth? Oh wait, some people do want him dead.

:innocent:

Dont usually post on here, But I hope we beat United tomorrow night! Come on the mighty Blues!

Eclipse said:
Dont usually post on here, But I hope we beat United tomorrow night! Come on the mighty Blues!

Well, I hope it's a better game than last year's FA Cup final. Going on end of season form, and the result at Stamford Bridge recently against Man U, I'd say Chelsea have the edge.

For some reason, something's just popped into my head: my old Latin teacher at school said that he played for Man Utd's reserve/youth team after the Busby Babes aircrash, and he referred to the club as Manchester U. I've never heard them called that before, but then again he was pissed :D

national acrobat said:
Well, I hope it's a better game than last year's FA Cup final. Going on end of season form, and the result at Stamford Bridge recently against Man U, I'd say Chelsea have the edge.

For some reason, something's just popped into my head: my old Latin teacher at school said that he played for Man Utd's reserve/youth team after the Busby Babes aircrash, and he referred to the club as Manchester U. I've never heard them called that before, but then again he was pissed :D

Manchester U? Where was he from? Or was it the fact he was just out of it  :lol:

It's been a fairly good season in all, however a lot of controversy in referee's and managers with chairman has overshadowed it a bit. As painful as it is to admit, I think, grrrrrr, Man United deserved to win the....P.p...Premiership!

Noo my heart just caved in, and the relagation battle was also great to see aswell as the F.A Cup going down to two teams who'd if I'd said to you at the start of the season that they'd be in the final, you would have laughed in my face.

Now all thats left is the CL final. Then they great few months that is! Transfer Market time  :yey:

Last Sunday, to my enormous surprise I saw in a football program that they played some music of
"Mother Russia", when they showed images of Advocaat, winning with Zenith!

Iron Maiden on the public television, and what a rare track! Very funny, but also cool! :)

To see and hear this, go here, wait for the commercial and then go to time: 50 minutes, 35 seconds.

:)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ton_jailed

There are obviously still some of those left, even after Duncan Ferguson retired  :)

@Forostar: this winter I had the pleasure of hearing some Maiden in Norwegian TV, of all things it was during Sports Saturday before a ski jump competition. When they showed highlights from the previous ski jump event, they played the intro to Caught Somewhere in Time. The same happened a couple of weeks later, now with Aces High  :D I really hope they keep this editor man ...

Back in the Village said:
Albie, what's your view on Southend's decision today to release five players? Are they making room for new arrivals for a determined push next season?
I think some of these guys either were out on loan (even Maher - who has been at Southend for 10 years) or were just bit-part players. But I think they are going to go out and get some new blood, I have no doubt. Most supporters trust Tilson - he has been doing a very good job at Roots Hall. He is also one of the longest serving managers in the football league.

Prediction for the game tonight - 2-1 Man U. I'm not so sure that the game at Stamford Bridge will have any bearing on the result tonight as Man U went to that game knowing that even if they lost, the league was still in their own hands - and played with a "must not lose" attitude which is why they came a cropper. Tonight will see them approach it differently and they will also be boyed up from winning the league.

As for Euro 2008, I will have no affiliation with any side and could not care who wins. ;)

Back