Official Football Thread

So you will continue talking about British clubs etc, during Euro 08? Stop it, I can't stand it anymore!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAA $%^(&()*)((*(* 

(you too Nush, cut the crap)

(kidding guys)
;)

Forostar, I will watch the odd match and will comment on them, but my interest is not all together there. I just can't get excited about it and I really don't care who wins.

Trust me, I will participate. :D

Not caring? Hmm that doesn't sound very comforting, but that might have to do with England not being there.

Well, hope you'll enjoy next month still. I look very, very forward to it, also to your contribution.
(and forgive my continental attitude: I find the 2nd and 3rd division talk very dull compared to international tournaments, which are way more "binding" on international forums like this one, imho).

Forostar said:
(and forgive my continental attitude: I find the 2nd and 3rd division talk very dull compared to international tournaments, which are way more "binding" on international forums like this one, imho).
No, you are right. But 2nd and 3rd division football is the real heart of the game in England - a place for little or no egos and players wages are more liking to an executive in a moderate sized company.

Albie; It should also be mentioned that United started with several of the first team regulars on the bench, it seemed like Ferguson wanted to take a gamble. If he could get a result at SB and at the same time rest some of the regulars for the semi-final against Barcelona, he would have won this gamble hands down. Now he didn't get the result at SB (well, in a way he did, a defeat is also a result, but you know what I mean), but since the league was won anyway AND they won the semi, I don't think he's too unhappy with his decision.

The point is, even with Tevez, Ronaldo and Hargreaves on the bench, the game was fairly even and Chelsea won because of a strife of luck. (Yes, the penalty decision was correct, but still the situation occured by chance). I fear tonight's game will become a deadlock like the FA Cup Final last year and we are likely to get extra time. Unless United do some super-subbing á la 1999  :D

@Forostar: I will certainly follow the European Championships closely, probably going to watch every single game (pleasant time of the day and I'm likely to be alone for the entire period).

Alright! I’ll try to see as many matches myself as well!

Incidentally enough, I’m going to a Judas Priest gig, during one of the quarter finals. There’s a chance Holland might play that day. :/

The interest in the Euro's waned considerably when England were knocked out (in England anyway).

I will try and watch some of the matches, notably the ones involving the "big" teams such as France and Holland but my heart won't be in it knowing my nation is not represented due to the buffoon who was in charge at the time.

Personally I hope the tournament can be remembered for good attacking football and fairplay. Fuck me I'm naieve!!!

As a complete neutral I would like to see Portugal or Holland win as they tend to base their football philosophy on attack rather than defence.

Edit: WOW just noticed I am now a Jr Member, hurrah!!!  :D

In 2002, when Holland didn’t qualify, I still had the pleasure to follow some 'exotic' teams like South Korea (Hiddink) and Ivory Coast. But yeah, the same thrill wasn’t there, so I can imagine.

This is pretty much the first time in my memory that England haven't qualified for a tournament....so it's a very strange feeling. Rest assured Foro that I'll still be interested in it.

As for the 2nd division talk, you'll hear no more from me about QPR for quite a while...I'm extremely pissed off with how the owners are pricing fans out of tickets (50% increase in my season ticket price! which I'm not renewing) and generally how they couldn't give a flying fuck for the fans who've supported the club for 5, 25 or 55 years; all they want is rich twats from Kensington and Fulham to have fun with at their new play thing. I'll be going to away games only next season.

What a match............. A mega-thriller! 
Van der Sar!  1995+2008! Unique! :yey:

Good for 'im, but what a poor Terry. I feel sorry for him. The grass was not friendly to quite some people and it certainly played a part when Terry slipped during his penalty kick.

At times it was a respectless and violent match. Especially Makelele and Bulldog Tevez, but later also Drogba (I missed his beating, was it bad?)

What a match!! it offered up everything great (and bad) about the English game.

Man u settled first and dominated the first 40 minutes andshouyld have been 3-0 up. Credit to Chelsea who nicked a lucky goal and drove on and were the better team in the second half.

I thought Man U were better in extra time despite Lampard's shot off the bar. Just how did Terry bend his neck and head to get in the way of Giggs' goalbound effort.
Van Der Sar was the hero and United become Champions on Europe again for the third time. Will the sending off be the last time we see Drogba in a Chelsea shirt, if so, what a sorry way to leave a club

That is correct, LC. That is very correct. But not only because we hate Chelsea, some of us also love United  :D

Slow day at work today - enough beer during and after the match ... :cheers:

bananas.jpg

jtvl2.png

I've got loads of these. :D

Sorry to be late with the news.....

Exeter has returned!!!!!!

(Exeter was my first team on Championship Manager '93) Ever since I have liked the club, even when I found out that my star player Storer had a moustache.

what a disappointment this final  :(

it made me think the world cup's recent final with Italy :
one legendary player sees the red card in the extra time, and after
the best team looses during penalties process  :( :( 

Well, "the best team" depends on the eye of the beholder ... Chelsea certainly had the biggest missed chances, Drogba's shot in 2nd half which hit the right post and then the crossbar hit in extra time.

However, Man Utd dominated the first half to the same extent as Chelsea did in the second, and Carlos Tevez was few centimeters away from doubling the score - and that happened twice. In addition to that, Chelsea's goal was a strike of luck. The ball deflected twice before it landed right at Frank Lampard's feet. And one should not forget the big chances Carrick and Giggs had denied by defenders clearing the ball off the line. Admittedly, Chelsea were close several times as well. But if you look at the entire match, the teams were even. Some seem to think it was a one-sided final, and then I feel strongly for pointing out that it was definitely not.

Still, I respect Chelsea's players for the way they came on in the 2nd half and turned everything around - from being dominated before half time, to being dominant themselves in the 2nd half. I had feared it would be a dull game like last year's FA Cup final, but it was not.

And how is Drogba a legend? He is not even close to stand a comparison to Zinedine Zidane. If there was a legendary player on the field in the CL final, it was Ryan Giggs, with ten league titles and two Champions Leagues- Way to go, Drogba. And when he handed out that bitch slap, I couldn't keep from laughing. He is perhaps one of the strongest players in the Premier League, so his habit of going down easily becomes a bit more laughable than when it is a small "technician" like Deco that goes down. And handing out that slap is so ridiculous that words fail me  :D

If one looks on the English season as a whole, it is perhaps a little "unjust" - if such a word can be used in this context - that United finish with the two biggest titles and Chelsea are left with second place in both the big competitions. There isn't that much to separate between them. But it is about keeping a cool head when it matters most. United did. Chelsea didn't, and they had to pay.

Back