Official Football Thread

national acrobat said:
England played pretty well in the first half yesterday, but I'm not sure whether to take this as an encouraging sign or not, because Sven's first game in charge was a 3-0 win over Spain. :wacko:
True, we will see buy around October next year how good England are under Mclaren.

SeventhSon said:
Shamrock Rovers? :huh:? Waterford United are better than them n they only won once this season!

UP THE HAMMERS!!!
And there was me just about to note that only the same three people post in this thread. ;)

national acrobat said:
And there was me just about to note that only the same three people post in this thread. ;)
We would have to go back to "April 30, 2006" since someone else posted here - dogigniter. It went the same way in the FIFA thread as well - almost.

I would start a Cricket or Rugby Union thread, but I'll be posting to myself - I reckon.

I love crickets... the buzzing sound they make with their legs... magical :rolleyes:

What do you have if you've got a cricket ball in your left hand and a cricket ball in your right?
A very worried cricket! :p

But I reckon you're probably right, Albie.

Unfortunately, this isn't the type of football I'm too familiar with. I love the American version of football, but I've never been one for soccer, or international football.

It looks like Sir Bobby Robson is to undergo surgery to remove a brain tumour. Well, I for one hope he makes a full recovery - not only did he have a small element of success with England (which most of us English applaud), he is generally known as a really nice bloke.

He is the most knowlegable manager in charge of my countrie's fortunes.

God help us, I hope he gets better.  He has already beaten cancer three times.  A great man, not only for England, but for football in general.  I salute him and wish him the best.

national acrobat said:
So I hear on the radio that William Gallas, of Chelski until a week ago, threatened to score an own goal and get himself sent-off if he was selected to play, according to Chelski's official website anyway. ^_^ That's certainly one way to secure a swift transfer.
The Chelski propaganda machine is in full swing. ;)

Anyway, NA - what did you think of England's performance the other day? I thought they were a little bit more positive than they have been in the recent past. Time will tell if this is just down to the "honeymoon period" of Mclarens reign, but I have no doubt that Venables will be a good motivator for the players.

Ireland lost pitifully.  I know that I said before that I would give Steve Staunton a chance but really and truly his childish, unprofessional antics are getting on my nerves.  Ireland will finish fourth or fifth in the qualifying group.

As for England, they are going to win Euro 2008 :rolleyes:

My favorite team:

Athletic Club's genesis sinks his roots in the history of his country.The club is son of his time, from when, at the end of XIXth century, flowered commercial and cultural relations between Vizcaya and the raising England. The ships under British flag arrived at Vizcaya's coasts loaded with coal and full of English specialized technicians who joined to the emerging vizcaines industries.

As if by magic the young vasc sportsman began fascinating to practise an strange game called Football.

The new sport keeps on his imparable advance and wins supporters among youngers of the renowned gymnasium Zamacois too, that will end becoming into market of contracting matches, and from where in 1898 the creation of the first vasc football club was thrusted: ATHLETIC CLUB.

Leage Titles:
8 Championships
1929-30 1930-31 1933-34 1935-36 1942-43 1955-56 1982-83 1983-84
7 Runner-up: 1931-32 1932-33 1940-41 1946-47 1951-52 1969-70 1997-98
Cup titles:
24 Championships
1902 1903 1904 1910 1911 1914 1915 1916 1921 1923 1930 1931 1932 1933 1943 1944 1945 1950 1955 1956 1958 1969 1973 1984
11 Runner-up
1905 1906 1913 1920 1941-42 1948-49 1952-53 1965-66 1966-67 1976-77 1984-85

Celebration after the Newcstle match in Bilbao:

foto2395.jpg

The Athleic Club  plays only with Basque players and is close to Madrid and Barcelona the only team that has been always the maximum category of the Spanish League. It is the one that more Cup titles has won close to the Barcelona FC, and the 4th in titles of League behind Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and AT. Madrid.

Athletic Club has taken part in many occasions in the UEFA with games to remember like that we play against the Newcastle or the tie in Milan in the Champions UEFA Cup.

The field he is called San Mames but it is known as "The Cathedral" by the good football that there is played. The Athletic Club play a "very English" football according to the majority of the people and is the team that more goals has marked the Spanish League in the same party match (12-1 to the FC Barcelona) and the fact that more goals to marked in a match of Cup competition (12-0 to the Celta).

It is a team very loved in the Basque Country and in other parts of the World precisely for fighting in one of the important competitions of the world, foreigners' flood, and use only players of his own and small country (2.5 millions).

I love this team.

Gora Atheltic!!!

Sorry my very bad english.

Un saludo
Stay Heavy!!!
www.metaldreams.com
Visita mi Blog y ve mis fotos en
http://bittormikel-heavymetal.spaces.live.com/blog/

Albie said:
The Chelski propaganda machine is in full swing. ;)

Anyway, NA - what did you think of England's performance the other day? I thought they were a little bit more positive than they have been in the recent past. Time will tell if this is just down to the "honeymoon period" of Mclarens reign, but I have no doubt that Venables will be a good motivator for the players.
It's pretty hard to judge any team when they have only Andorra to play: I read that there are only about 30,000 Andorran citizens to pick from, which obviously includes women, old people and children, which means that they're about as good as 'Dog & Duck Athletic'. ;) But the way England are playing is looking much more positive, and McClaren has obviously sorted out the best tactic - feed the lanky Lurch and he will score. ^_^

And as for Conor, you will be pleased and suprised that I am learning to curb my English enthusiasm, not adorning myself with the once mandatory regalia, and at the moment I am actually *not* convinced that England will win the next major tournament.  :eek: However, I think tomorrow's game will be a good one, if the Macedonian fans can refrain from the dreadful racism which encompassed the last game England played in Skopje.

Bittor Mikel said:
The Athletic Club play a "very English" football according to the majority of the people and is the team that more goals

national acrobat said:
McClaren has obviously sorted out the best tactic - feed the lanky Lurch and he will score. ^_^
Seems Athletico Bilbao have may have the same tactics. ;)

Obviously the opposition were poor, but the fact that England went out to score within a few minutes instead of patiently waiting for an opening, is a bit more refreshing. Looking forward to tomorrows game!

national acrobat said:
And as for Conor, you will be pleased and suprised that I am learning to curb my English enthusiasm
Just until the finals of Euro 2008. :D

Bittor Mikel said:
It is a team very loved in the Basque Country and in other parts of the World precisely for fighting in one of the important competitions of the world, foreigners' flood, and use only players of his own and small country (2.5 millions).
I've always had a respect for Atletico Bilbao for this reason. Like Barcelona in Catalonia (although they use foreign players), these football teams seem to represent a cultural and maybe political(?) identity.

Albie said:
Just until the finals of Euro 2008. :D
Probably :D

national acrobat said:
I've always had a respect for Atletico Bilbao for this reason. Like Barcelona in Catalonia (although they use foreign players), these football teams seem to represent a cultural and maybe political(?) identity.
Probably :D

Only one  thing my Maiden friend national acrobat, no say "Atletico Bilbao", here, in te  Basque Country we hate deeply this name, it is an insult for us.

Name that of the team is Athletic Club of Bilbao, never Atletico Bilbao, we hate this name cuase was a spanish bloody imposition.

Thank you.

Sorry my bad english.

Un saludo
Stay Heavy!!!
www.metaldreams.com

Bittor Mikel said:
Only one  thing my Maiden friend national acrobat, no say "Atletico Bilbao", here, in te  Basque Country we hate deeply this name, it is an insult for us.

Name that of the team is Athletic Club of Bilbao, never Atletico Bilbao, we hate this name cuase was a spanish bloody imposition.
We English speaking folk have been referring to the team as such for as long as I can remember. If it is insulting, then I dare say we (on this forum) will try to use the name "Athletic Club of Bilbao" in future - or maybe just "Athletic Club" as you have used?

Bittor Mikel said:

Thank you.

Sorry my bad english.

Un saludo
Stay Heavy!!!
www.metaldreams.com
My bad! Sorry to have insulted you, but as Albie says, this is what everyone in England calls your club (except for Albie and I now ;)). Anyway, welcome, as one of the few Maiden/football fans here.  :wacko:

Bittor Mikel said:

It's really sad to see that Conor is not the only one to promote hatred of a province for the country it belongs to...  :(

Back