Official Football Thread

Also, just remembered, Shaqiri is coming with Liverpool :D
I suggested something like this might happen in the old World Cup thread. It might be wise for Jurgen Klopp to leave him at home.

I didn't realize that Red Star Belgrade are in the Champions League. Is this the first time in a while?

Zvezda never qualified for the CL but won the European Cup in its penultimate season before it turned into CL.

Tough groups for PSV and Ajax! Well.... every group is sort of tough I guess.

Group A: Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, Club Brugge

Group B: Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur, PSV Eindhoven, Internazionale Milano

Group C: Paris Saint-Germain, Napoli, Liverpool, Crvena zvezda

Group D: Lokomotiv Moskva, Porto, Schalke, Galatasaray

Group E: Bayern München, Benfica, Ajax, AEK Athens

Group F: Manchester City, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, Hoffenheim

Group G: Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA Moskva, Viktoria Plzeň

Group H: Juventus, Manchester United, Valencia, Young Boys

Last edited:
Galatasaray with one of the luckiest draws in history. They'd have no chance in any other group but the one they landed on.

Tough break for Red Star. They'll need a sizable bus.

Dl7QDplWsAE_0ID.jpg

Red Bull Salzburg versus RB Leipzig. Both sponsored by Red Bull!

And this is the selection of the Netherlands in the two upcoming matches:
1. vs Peru (friendly match, is also the Wesley Schneider farewell match)
2. vs France (Nations League: looking forward to this!)

Only 5 attackers!
Dl63cFZXsAALsoO.jpg

Goal: Jasper Cillessen (FC Barcelona), Jeroen Zoet (PSV), Sergio Padt (FC Groningen)

Defense: Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Nathan Aké (AFC Bournemouth), Daley Blind (Ajax), Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool), Daryl Janmaat (Watford), Kenny Tete (Olympique Lyon), Stefan de Vrij (Internazionale)

Midfield: Wesley Sneijder (Al-Gharafa), Donny van de Beek (Ajax), Davy Pröpper (Brighton & Hove Albion), Frenkie de Jong (Ajax), Marten de Roon (Atalanta Bergamo), Kevin Strootman (Olympique Marseille), Tonny Vilhena (Feyenoord), Ruud Vormer (Club Brugge), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

Attack: Ryan Babel (Besiktas), Memphis Depay (Olympique Lyon), Luuk de Jong (PSV), Justin Kluivert (AS Roma), Quincy Promes (Sevilla)

Last edited:
That's really iffy. It's already iffy that they're allowed to be in the same competition, but the same group? They could very well conspire against the other two teams if need be.

Turkish teams and Belgian teams in the competition all matched up with each other. Fenerbahçe & Anderlecht, Beşiktaş & Genk, Akhisar Belediyespor & Standard Liege. This is significant because the two countries are right next to each other in UEFA coefficients, with Belgium 9th and Turkey 10th.

Has anyone heard about what's been happening with the Danish team? Due to an ongoing commercial dispute with the players the football association has formed a 24 man squad from amateurs in the lower leagues and the Futsal team for matches against Slovakia and Wales.

And in more important news, Scotland have qualified for the World Cup.

Unbelievable developments indeed with those Danes!

It will be even crazier if that team is going to play well. *buys popcorn*

Last edited:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Nations League, both the format and the purpose. I hope we win, of course, but I don't any high hopes. What do you think?

Back