Official Football Thread

Footballers are stupid, always been.

This goes beyond stupidity. It's insincerity. He pulled the ethnicity card as if the criticism just fell out of the sky and said "I'm German when we win but Turkish when we lose". That's not even remotely close to what happened. The outrage in Germany in regards to the situation happened before the World Cup had begun. And rightfully so, for reasons Foro stated. You can't say I identify as a German and then be sympathetic towards a leader who called Germany "Nazi remnants" just a year ago.

Sure. But this is not really a case specific to Özil. His hypocrisy echoes that of most Turks living in Germany, France, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland etc. who vote centre-left in those countries, benefit from welfare, still call the countries "anti-Turkish" or "Islamophobes", praise how things are in Turkey, vote for Islamists or far-right nationalists in Turkish elections, but when you tell them to come over to Turkey, they refuse to do it.

Starting line-ups:

Man City XI: Bravo, Humphreys, Garcia, Denayer, Zinchenko, Harrison, Nmecha, Foden, Bolton, Mahrez, Diaz.

Liverpool XI: Karius, Clyne, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Milner, Wijnaldum, Jones, Lallana, Sturridge.

The Manchester City team that starts against Arsenal on the first day of the Premier League season will be very different, not so for the Liverpool team. The result of that match last night is irrelevant.

Yeah, Man City had maybe one starter, none of the others are gonna get PL playing time. Liverpool had almost their entire starting defence.

No, but the club established by the Municipality of Istanbul when he was the mayor, moved to suburb that was more or less built from scratch during Erdoğan's time in power, got a new stadium the opening match of which Erdoğan played in, and both the manager and the captain of the team are known to be massive Erdoğan supporters. They also became a big money spender and a championship contender out of nowhere, make of that what you will.

Asteras Tripolis are playing against Hibernian in Edinburgh tonight. The guy for Scottish radio had to read out their team and stumbled through it. They have a player whose surname is Triantafyllopoulos. :eek:

Looks like Milan and Juve are gonna swap Bonucci and Caldara because Bonucci wants to go back to Juve :facepalm: Embarassed that I had this guy as my avatar, what a weak and sad man.

Also looks like Higuain will join Milan on loan.

I have a colleague at work who is also a Juve fan and we chat about it a lot. When rumours that Bonucci was coming back broke out, he started cursing and ranting, calling Bonucci with the worst insults he could come up. I've never understood that kind of behaviour - Bonucci is not a different person or a different player after Milan. For what it's worth, he might actually be more dedicated now. I don't get it - you've worshipped a guy for years but now you hate him because he tried something else?

That said, I understand why @Night Prowler might be ashamed of his avatar. He was never one of you!:p

I do have to love how he rustled the Juve fans. Last year Juve fans were losing it when Bonucci left, now they are losing it that he's coming back :p

At least we'll get Caldara who is 2nd best young defender in Italy after Romagnoli. Will be a great center back pair.

Back