Official Football Thread

Rangers fans certainly have reputation for violent behavior (Manchester and Romania) as well as Sectarian behaviour (Famine Song and Eindhoven). However, to say that you would expect a Rangers fan to be racist/fascist is plain stupid and just as prejudiced as the fans that give a lot of decent people a bad reputation.

Celtic fans, who I am led to believe are the best fans in the world, have a reputation for disrupting minute silences and a few fans were involved in some violent and Sectarian behaviour at a match away to Dundee last Christmas. Then on Wednesday, more than half of the 44 people arrested after the match in Amsterdam were Celtic fans so really both sets of fans are as bad as the other. All clubs have a portion of scumbag fans that let the club down now and again, but they don't represent the views of the club or the fans as a whole at all.

Rangers fans certainly have reputation for violent behavior (Manchester and Romania) as well as Sectarian behaviour (Famine Song and Eindhoven). However, to say that you would expect a Rangers fan to be racist/fascist is plain stupid and just as prejudiced as the fans that give a lot of decent people a bad reputation.

Celtic fans, who I am led to believe are the best fans in the world, have a reputation for disrupting minute silences and a few fans were involved in some violent and Sectarian behaviour at a match away to Dundee last Christmas. Then on Wednesday, more than half of the 44 people arrested after the match in Amsterdam were Celtic fans so really both sets of fans are as bad as the other. All clubs have a portion of scumbag fans that let the club down now and again, but they don't represent the views of the club or the fans as a whole at all.
Thanks BW. You saved me from typing all that!!

There are stupid people in every fanbase. Hell, there are stupid people in every social group. I don't have a single bad opinion of Rangers fans, never had. Lazio are considered to have even worse fans but I'm damn sure more than %90 of their fans are cool people, at least decent. Sport clubs aren't found on a basis of thought or philosophy. They might seem like political parties or ideological organizations at times, but they're just sport clubs.

In other news, a certain Swedish striker strengthens his candidature for the Ballon d'Or 2014 ...

Cristiano Ronaldo is having a tremendous season as well. But we all know they'll somehow find a way to give it to Lionel Messi.

Shocked that Rangers fans are nice people?? Really?? And you say that we are racist???? Wtf!
Uefa has investigated rangers club over racist chants.

I want to say this though it's stupid to lump a fanbase into just 1 group. Nowadays more than ever there is mutual respect but there are still a few people who aren't so respectful. I've seen Lazio ultras man they are a different breed. That was Mussolini's team. If I was born or grew up in Rome I'd root forRoma&not lazio just on that fact alone. And several of the respectful people who support their clubs don't go to the games because they don't want to be lumped in with hooligans. But w/e flares and chants are awesome&I love it as long as the chants aren't racist

Last edited:
Well, indeed; I ain't no expert on football team hooliganism --but I know about as much as anyone on this forum in regard to West coast of Scotland football-associated (& o/w) sectarianism.

Last edited:
I've seen Lazio ultras man they are a different breed. That was Mussolini's team. If I was born or grew up in Rome I'd root forRoma&not lazio just on that fact alone. And several of the respectful people who support their clubs don't go to the games because they don't want to be lumped in with hooligans. But w/e flares and chants are awesome&I love it as long as the chants aren't racist

What a load of crap! I'm sorry if I'm rude but, Roberto, you sound just like Travis in the US Politics thread - you have heard something from somewhere and have jumped to all the wrong conclusions.

First of all, if you were born in Rome, you wouldn't think so. You know why? Because on many occasions, rooting for a club is not a conscious choice. There's family tradition, there's location, there's exposure, everything plays a part. People grow up as fans of certain teams and there is nothing you can do about it. Ideology has no place in this.

Secondly, you say Lazio was Mussolini's team. Did you know that Lazio was founded in 1900? I can assure you Lazio fans see much more in that team than Mussolini. And you think Roma fans are all socially responsible and sensible boys? Have you ever heard of Giovinezza? That's one of Roma's ultras groups - extremely right-winged, as their name suggests. And they are not the only one - a significant part of the Curva Sud supporters would fall into your definition of "fascist" and "racist".

Thirdly, you say that generalizing about fan bases is stupid and in your very next sentence you claim that Lazio fans are a different breed. What proportion of Lazio fans do you think you've seen? Not even 1%, I'd say. So yes, Black Wizard is right - you have no idea what you're talking about.

Today is the derby day here: Galatasaray being guests to Fenerbahçe. Seeing how off-form we are and how on-form Fenerbahçe is, I'm not too hopeful of this game. Besides, we haven't won a single game in their stadium since 1999.

Ok I know nothing. But I do read articles& see videos online about this sort of stuff. And I did say when I said it was stupid to lump a fan base into one group/category. If you want to disagree with everything else I said fine but don't say I generalized the entire group when I started by saying I didn't.

The ultra's may be of a different bred indeed*. Compared to the rest of the Lazio supporters, but also compared to other clubs. I guess we can all agree about that. I don't know about any other club known so much for the nazi salute, in the last decade or so.

* assuming that the ultra's means: the hardcore (extreme) supporters and not the total fanbase.

Good lord. Manchester City fuck up away from home again. It makes absolutely no sense that such brilliant players should underperform in a different stadium.

This next match is massive. An Arsenal win could knock out both Manchester teams and perhaps Chelsea out of the title race already, and we can discount Tottenham Hotspur too.

Back