Official Football Thread

1) I'm not saying awarding a penalty kick is the same as awarding a goal. I'm saying it is three out of every four times.
2) That doesn't answer why a defender is penalized so severely for making a mistake
3) If it was a bad call, why do the rules allow officials' mistakes to give a team a 38 per cent advantage?
4) Are you saying rules should not be changed because changing them is bad marketing?
5) The game need not be fair because life isn't fair?

1) Where on earth you read those statistics?
2) Is not a defender. Is any player. And is not a mistake. Is doing the mistake inside "its own penalty area and while the ball is in play" (quoting the rule).
3) There's no such thing of those "per cent advantages" in football. I just told you mistakes are part of the football beauty. All the referees have a national classification and they can only achieve the top of the career as long as they made few mistakes, not a lot of them. The most important rule of football is not the penalty kick, but the off-side rule. It was this rule that made the most important inventions on football's tactics throughout their history. A penalty kick is a rare event.
4) Is not bad marketing, is bad for the sport itself. Football is a simple game, with only seventeen rules. Football is great because of their simplicity.
5) I don't understand... football is more important than life and death.

1) Where on earth you read those statistics?
2) Is not a defender. Is any player. And is not a mistake. Is doing the mistake inside "its own penalty area and while the ball is in play" (quoting the rule).
3) There's no such thing of those "per cent advantages" in football. I just told you mistakes are part of the football beauty. All the referees have a national classification and they can only achieve the top of the career as long as they made few mistakes, not a lot of them. The most important rule of football is not the penalty kick, but the off-side rule. It was this rule that made the most important inventions on football's tactics throughout their history. A penalty kick is a rare event.
4) Is not bad marketing, is bad for the sport itself. Football is a simple game, with only seventeen rules. Football is great because of their simplicity.
5) I don't understand... football is more important than life and death.

1) quick scan of the Internet - various elite leagues showed a success rate of 72 to 78 per cent, and the article indicated it holds true through other levels of the sport.
2) It is only a defender in his penalty area that is penalized with a penalty kick. And again, why so severely?
3) Of course there are. A penalty kick is an advantage, otherwise why award it? And it can be quantified by observing its success rate. Offside is a different argument.
4) If simplicity is its beauty, make it simpler, eliminate the direct free kick. (and offside for that matter (devil))
5) Now that, I understand. (Religion is alive and well outside the church).

It's not difficult to fake a penalty. Faking is hardly possible in the sports you mention, or I could even go further: it hardly happens. A volleyball player does not fall to the ground, hoping to get extra points. I doubt this happens in hockey or basketball either.

It happens in basketball pretty often. Ever heard of "flopping" ? It's a big deal and Spanish basketballers are the masters of it :D

About an hour ago, the Dutch women should have been given a penalty in the Hockey semi-final vs New Zealand (Olympics). Even with the video review no penalty was given, but it clearly was one (a clear strike on the stick of the attacker in scoring position near the goal). Thankfully we still won by shoot-outs (what a thriller that was)!

About an hour ago, the Dutch women should have been given a penalty in the Hockey semi-final vs New Zealand (Olympics). Even with the video review no penalty was given, but it clearly was one (a clear strike on the stick of the attacker in scoring position near the goal). Thankfully we still won by shoot-outs (what a thriller that was)!

I watched from the second half of that game (BBC didn't show first half due to BMX >.>).

The stick tackle led to a penalty corner, which is correct. Penalty stroke's are very rarely given - I think out of all games I've played there was only ever one - almost all offences caused by defenders in the D result in a penalty corner.
It would only have been given as a penalty stroke if it was ruled to be a deliberate foul that had obstructed a probable goal. Which they ruled wasn't the case due to the keeper being directly in front of the player at the time and that she still managed to get possession of the ball afterwards.

The dutch were lucky to get away with only losing a free hit earlier in the game from dangerous play, when a NZ player was smashed straight in the head with a stick (which then followed through to hit ANOTHER player). It would never have led to a penalty of any sort due to it being at the wrong end of the pitch, but I would've not been surprised had the player not been given at least a yellow card.

I much preferred the 8second 'shootout' that they used instead of penalty strokes, it's an extremely different scenario. In all fairness to the NZ keeper on the 4th one she did something I really didn't expect and it worked.

It happens in basketball pretty often. Ever heard of "flopping" ? It's a big deal and Spanish basketballers are the masters of it :D

I know it's the football thread but I have add this : Spain faced up France in the Olympic basketball quarter finals today and they won. The classic Spanish flopping was there and late in the game when the game was sealed, French forward Nicolas Batum punched Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro in the groin and explained why he did so afterwards : "I wanted to give him a good reason to flop." He also slapped one of the biggest floppers of the Spanish team, Jose Calderon.

Local takings on the rules can differ from how the rules are abided by in general. Take football. In e.g. England much more is allowed compared to international competition.

It would only have been given as a penalty stroke if it was ruled to be a deliberate foul that had obstructed a probable goal. Which they ruled wasn't the case due to the keeper being directly in front of the player at the time and that she still managed to get possession of the ball afterwards.

Keeper in front or not, there's no rule that this is an exception to the rule.
So it was deliberate and she was in clear scoring position. That possession of the ball afterwards also has nothing to do with the moment itself when the chance was there.

These shoot-outs were truly awesome.

1) quick scan of the Internet - various elite leagues showed a success rate of 72 to 78 per cent, and the article indicated it holds true through other levels of the sport.
2) It is only a defender in his penalty area that is penalized with a penalty kick. And again, why so severely?

Right... o_O

Onto more important football matters....tomorrow evening Dundee United will play away to Dinamo Moscow with the score from the first leg at 2-2. Moscow are in disarray after getting pumped 4-0 by Spartack at the weekend and the resignation of their manager. They say it's the hope that kills you and I'm almost too scared to hope...but stranger things have happened. The match is at 5pm UK time which is before I see Iced Earth in Glasgow but it's not on UK TV and I'll have no access to internet or radio. :( I'll have to ask someone to text me score updates.

I hope you're all wearing tangerine tomorrow.

Robin van Persie's move to Manchester United has been confirmed by Arsenal. For 24 million euros, I believe. It's a shame we once again lose one of our stars but he wasn't going to do anything for us this season anyway and it was also his last year on contract.

Awesome, he transferred from my second to my first favorite English club:nana: Can't wait to see the first game with Rooney and Robin in the lineup:edmetal:

Yep, but I want to be more proud of them. :D

I was afraid we'd continue in true Euro 2012 tradition (1-0 behind vs Belgium at halftime).
But now it's 1-2. :)

I don't like Robin van Persie anymore. He was one of my favourite players before his awesome run of form last season but now he'd joined the club who I want to lose more than any other.:down:I don't understand why Arsenal didn't sell him to Juventus when they had the chance. That would have been a deal more beneficial to Arsenal than allowing one of their rivals to stay ahead of them.

I don't like Robin van Persie anymore. He was one of my favourite players before his awesome run of form last season but now he'd joined the club who I want to lose more than any other.:down:I don't understand why Arsenal didn't sell him to Juventus when they had the chance. That would have been a deal more beneficial to Arsenal than allowing one of their rivals to stay ahead of them.

I believe Juventus weren't as dumb as Manchester United. Robin van Persie is a great player but he's almost 30 years old and he was going into his last season on contract. Signing that kind of a player for 24 million euros is a dumb move, I believe and especially if we are talking about a club like Manchester United. Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain would be understandable but Man Utd ?

And Red Devils has problems in the midfield, they should've gone after some nice midfielders (Luka Modric for example) instead of splashing the money on a striker.

By the way I'll be in the Fantasy Premier League again this season but I hope there'll be more participants this time.

Back