Official Football Thread

I think it would be hard to disagree with most of what you've written. That method wouldn't seem to cause too much disruption, which is some people's argument against the technology.

I have to say that I've been slightly annoyed by the English media today, talking and writing about Ukraine being disallowed a "perfectly good goal". No, it was offside, morons. But that doesn't mean the discussion isn't needed.

Also, I have sympathy for the 6th (/7th?/8th?) official behind the goal, who was getting a lot of stick. I know it's the only reason he is stationed there, and not allowed to venture an opinion on any fouls or anything else, but it wasn't easy to spot that the ball was over the line. It happened so quickly, there can't have been more than an inch of light between the line and ball, and it didn't bounce which give his some sort of reference point.
As you say, goalline technology is needed. (Or another two officials on the other side of the goal;))

Sorry. It's not only English media. It's media of other countries as well and even UEFA themselves admit that a mistake was made, that cost Ukraine the goal.

Most people think and advocate that the English have been lucky, and that the Ukraine were robbed.

Well, that's because media in general prefer a heading saying someone was robbed, than a heading that says the outcome was fair after all. You are an intelligent person and should know better than letting the headlines guide your opinions. If you think the Ukrainians were robbed, state your own reason for it (or, if you prefer, don't - posting is voluntary).

Of course the English were lucky the goal line referee didn't see that the ball was in, but Ukraine were lucky to get the chance. It was a clear offside - not by inches, but by a meter. Would it have been fair for Ukraine to get a goal when the player who made the assist was a meter offside?

Anyway, that's not important for my post (not even relevant). The point is that some refereeing decisions were made, they were clearly wrong, and the technology is available to let the referee correct those wrong decisions immediately. Thus, the technology should be used. But the entire situation, offside included, tells me that just a goal-line camera is not sufficient. With a goal-line camera in use, or with the replay being available to assist the referee's decision, Ukraine would have been given a goal that they should not have had.

I saw the interview with Collina, and he said a mistake was made - not that Ukraine were robbed.

The discussion comes up, but that is because a mistake happened. No one questions that. But another mistake was made in the same sequence of play - it cannot be ignored if one tries to argue that the home team were robbed.

If the goal-line ref had done his job correctly, Ukraine would have gotten a goal. If the linesman had done his, the situation would never have happened. And the offside is by a bigger margin than the goal. But again - a missed offside call doesn't make for as much debate as a missed goal. That doesn't make it less important for the result of the game.

I edited my post more than 5 minutes ago before you posted, in case you're angry about that. ;-)

I decided to check clips on YouTube and found the off side moment.

An obvious foul, and of course it should have been a penalty and a yellow card for Ramos.

However, I'm not that much in favour of using video replays for situations where it's about foul/no foul, or handball/no handball - situations where the referee's interpretation of the rules and his judgement plays a role. Video replays should be used for situations where no thinking is needed: Has the ball crossed a line, or has it not? Was there an offside? These situations are easy to judge if you have access to a replay. If the referee was to use replays every time he was in doubt about a foul, he would have to do so frequently.

I bet Platini is crying a lot today. The poor guy actually was seen buying one Polish vase for the tears.

Awesome slaughtering of Greece by Germany, as expected. The only goals were real fuck-ups by Germany (one was Boateng being ridiculous and allowing a penalty when the game was beyond reach and Neuer had it covered anyway). Lahm's opening goal was a cracker for the ages.

Couldn't disagree more with you on the first Greek goal. Mighty quick outbreak, good pass, hard to defend well. Great goal.

Nah, Greece caught Germany being too complacent and asleep. I was so mad cos it was just the kind of goal a bad team like Greece gets, but thankfully the Germans were unfazed and bounced right back.

Agree with Foro there. The equalizer was a great counter-attack. However, it was the only time during the entire game that the Greeks did well. The Germans dominated so much it was funny.

By the way, I think giving a penalty for that handball towards the end goes against the intention of the handball rule. Very, very soft penalty. The handball rule is to prevent players from actively using their hands/arms in play. It really annoys me when referees give free kicks/penalties for handballs that are obviously not deliberate, as the Laws of the Game clearly state that a free kick is given when a player deliberately handles the ball. Not when the ball hits his hand by accident and he benefits from it.

At least 3 yellow cards :D Nobody would have lambasted the ref for sending him off, that's for sure. He seemed to be out to destroy somebody.

I wish referees would give a yellow at the first bad foul more often. Far too often, I see a player get away without a booking just because the foul happens early in the match.

In this tournament the refs are careful with the cards indeed. Apart from that Spanjard. :)

By the way, the Germans need to do better if they want to reach the final. Thought they were more impressive against Holland.

edit: congrats maidenkid!

edit 2:

Buffon and a collegue laugh their asses off when an English journalist asks him how he prepares for the penalties. Almost looks like he's making this English "feat" ridiculous.

Back