Official Football Thread

It would be difficult to write the headlines for these Germany vs. other European countries games.

"Germany strikes Netherlands early, Dutch resistance continues until end"

I am looking forward to both games today, obviously, especially, Sweden vs. England. But I am wondering if Ukraine can win another.

481331_466049886756454_1529193193_n.jpg

Bwahaha. Gallow's humour at its finest!

France-Ukraine 2-0 and England-Sweden 3-2. Things looking good for the bookmakers' favourites in group D. Sweden are already out, France showed signs of improvement against Ukraine and could very well do real damage against Sweden in the final group game. England will go through with a draw, and they'll have Rooney back for the last group game.

Tomorrow I expect a boring affair between Russia and Greece, and a tense affair between Poland and the Czech Republic. The Poles need to win ...

Oh well, it's not like I expected anything else. When your biggest offensive threat is Olof Mellberg, you won't make it far.

Go Czech Republic!

Meh. We kind of sucked (i.e. Sweden). And England hasn't impressed me either so that must mean Sweden was really horrible this year. Ukraine v England should be interesting as Ukraine need a win and England only need a draw. Russia v Greece will be boring, don't plan on watching that.

Was it just me, or was the Sweden-England game simply fantastic?
It was - not necessarily for the quality of the football, but for the tension hanging over the match. It was an extremely intense 2nd half. When Welbeck scored, I ruptured my neck - and now I can barely move. Great instinctive goal, though.

Exactly, I'm now getting into the swing of it.

BTW, in my work sweepstake, I have the Dutch to beat Portugal 2-1. Keep the faith, as they say. ;)

Thanks for the support, mate! But I am afraid it will be hardly possible. We need to win by 2 goals difference.
Interesting (and somewhat hopegiving) story is that German midfielder Thomas Mueller had come to the dressing room to assure the Netherlands that his team would do its utmost to beat the Danes. Later, also Mario Gomez said: “We want to win the third game too. This is no time to take a rest.”

If the Dutch beat Portugal 2-1 and the Danes loose to Germany 1-0, all three teams will be on a goal diff of -1 and goals scored 3. So, it will go to head-to-head. The Danes lost to the Portuguese and beat the Dutch. And the Dutch will have beat Portugal and everyone lost to the Germans. Who then goes through?

Found this on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Group_stage
(is nr. 8 the first thing that happens or did I miss something?)

Tie-breaking criteria
If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings (according to paragraphs 8.07 and 8.08 of the regulations, and amendment to 8.07 adopted by the UEFA Executive Committee):
  1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
  2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
  4. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 3 to more than two teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 3 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5 to 10 apply in the order given;
  5. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
  6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  7. If two teams which are tied in all criteria 1 to 6 play their last group match against each other (i.e., the result is a draw and the two teams have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored), and provided no other teams within the group have the same number of points, the ranking of the two teams in question is determined by penalty shoot-out. Otherwise, criteria 8 to 10 apply in the order given;
  8. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system;
  9. Fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
  10. Drawing of lots.
Note: As all teams have different UEFA national team coefficient, the last two tie-breakers (fair play conduct and drawing of lots) will never be applied in this tournament.

Actually, thinking about it Portugal, in my given scenario of results, will have scored 4 goals in comparison to the Dutch and Danes both on three. That will put Portugal through and the Dutch last (head-to-head against the Danes). So the Dutch will need to win by two clear goals and hope the Danes loose.

Back